The German Wehrmacht

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The German Wehrmacht

I have heard many different thing on the wehrmacht. What are your thoughts. Uniforms, weapons, units, ect......

Thanks
    Peter Williams

"We're not lost private, we're in Normandy"-

Lt. Richard Winters 101st 506 pir

The Wehrmacht was different than other units because if you ever look at their belt buckles, they had "God we trust" on them.

They even had chaplains in their units (Lutheran ministers) and they were original soldiers of the FATHERLAND:thumb:
    VonMoltke

Comment

Originally posted by FelixAlicea
      The Wehrmacht was different than other units because if you ever look at their belt buckles, they had "God we trust" on them.
      They even had chaplains in their units (Lutheran ministers) and they were original soldiers of the FATHERLAND:thumb:
      The buckles said GOTT MIT UNS or 'God be with us'.
      Barcsi János ispán vezérőrnagy
      Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2003 & 2006

"Never pet a burning dog."

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
      http://www.mormon.org
      http://www.sca.org
      http://www.scv.org/
      http://www.scouting.org/

Comment

Originally posted by Janos
        The buckles said GOTT MIT UNS or 'God be with us'.
        Sorry for the misprounced quote.:bowdown:
        VonMoltke

Comment

Re: The German Wehrmacht

Originally posted by panzerboy
          I have heard many different thing on the wehrmacht. What are your thoughts. Uniforms, weapons, units, ect......

Thanks
          Technically the Wehrmacht is the entire German Armed Forces. The German Army is the Heer. The one really great thing you can say about the Heer is the fact that each soldier was trained to a high degree AND trained so they could move up and take over for a wounded or killed leader. Which is very unlike the propaganda which said the German soldier was an unthinking automaton that had to be told what to do.

Cheers

Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

Training was really very good. They practiced combined arms maneuvers and tried very hard to build unit cohesion. If a soldier was wounded and able to return to duty he returned to his old unit (unlike the US policy). When time permitted, replacements were trained in the divisional training batt in the Wehrkreis prio to coming to combat that way they understood the nature of theater they were entering and could learn from vets (unlike the US Army - the Marines tried a little harder).
            "Give a soldier an anvil, just a hunk of metal, and drive him out into the desert and leave him. In two weeks - when you go to get him, the anvil will be broken."
            General Creighton Abrams on the need for a soldier proof tank.

Comment

The Wehrmacht also had the national eagle above their left brest pocket. Unlike the SS that had the Eagle on their left arm!!

Cheers
              Peter Williams

Comment

Hey Tetsu, don't make me break out the Marine-jokes.

Comment

The Wehrmacht also had the national eagle above their left brest pocket. Unlike the SS that had the Eagle on their left arm!!

Cheers
                  That was mainly due to the Waffen-SS technically not being an "armed force" under the OKW (Oberkommando Wehrmacht - Armed Forces High Command). Note I said "technically". In fact if you unravel the SS high command you'll see that it is Police agency rather than a military one. It was Hitler's way of keeping his promises to the Generals that the Army would have no rivals.

Going back to the start of the Waffen SS you'll find that its origins like in the SS-VT or SS-Verfügungstruppen which meant "Special Purpose - SS" which was used to provide internal security. It then expanded into the Waffen - SS or Armed - SS. I think the whole title would have translated into the Politcally Armed SS. You know the rest of the history.

Here is a good link though.

http://www.waffen-ss.com/history/

One interesting bit of trivia I came across somewhere. More members of the Allegemaine SS (General SS) joined the Wehrmacht (Armed Forces - Kriegsmarine, Luftwaffe, Heer) than the Waffen SS.

Cheers!

Comment

The Wehrmacht were the ones that used the Splinter Cammo!!!

Cheers
                    Peter Williams

Comment

Using the Quiantified Judgement Method developed by Trevor N. Dupuy calculated a rough precentage to show the supperiority of WWII combat units over others. NOt exact, and open to lots of debate, but here it is.

Germans vs Allies : 26% superiority

Germans vs Russia: 58% superiority

Americans vs Japanese: 30% superiority

This is on a man vs man/ unit vs unit comparrison, and of course not all units were the same and Russia had alot more then Germany so defeated them, but anyway, here it is.

Don't shoot me. :nonono:

Comment

The Wehrmacht were the ones that used the Splinter Cammo!!!

Cheers
                        So did the W-SS and they issued camouflage uniforms in greater variety than the Heer. :thumb:

Cheers!

Comment

The Wehrmacht in general: I like the uniforms. I'm in a high-school Army JROTC and it bugs the heck outta me when someone says "Why are the Germans fighting in Class A's?" [Smack!]
                          "Because it's their combat uniform and their 'Class A's' are a helluva lot smarter than ours" (Those dress whites if you've seen them).

Training, definetely knew how to train troops, especially the focus on combined arms as soon as they got into the army...

And if you get literal Gott mit uns directly is "God with us" (Sorry Janos, I think it would be cooler to have it in Jamaican though- "We be havin the MG and 42 now man."
                          The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed. -Carl Jung

Hell is other people. -Jean-Paul Sarte

Comment

Ahh yes, the dreaded Dupy quantitative method... This method has been under debate for years and so have the numbers...

How does one evaluate leadership and initiative and creativity?

How does one rate a unit when units very rarely contain all of the equip they are assigned?

What about the random element? Weather, terrain, climate?

And 11B (or crunchy - due to the horrible sound they make when tanks run over them) - go ahead and break the Marine jokes out - I am Army...
                            "Give a soldier an anvil, just a hunk of metal, and drive him out into the desert and leave him. In two weeks - when you go to get him, the anvil will be broken."
                            General Creighton Abrams on the need for a soldier proof tank.

Comment

Originally posted by tetsuko47
                              Ahh yes, the dreaded Dupy quantitative method... This method has been under debate for years and so have the numbers...

How does one evaluate leadership and initiative and creativity?

How does one rate a unit when units very rarely contain all of the equip they are assigned?

What about the random element? Weather, terrain, climate?

And 11B (or crunchy - due to the horrible sound they make when tanks run over them) - go ahead and break the Marine jokes out - I am Army...
                              Yes it is hard to evaluate an army. Well the only thing we can do is apply theoretical and then the real.

I think the Wehrmacht had something with a machinegun in every squad. The most the U.S. had per squad was a B.A.R., the British carried a Bren and every man in the squad carried an additional 2 magazines for it. Look how it translates today. I think today's U.S. infantry squad has 2 machineguns. (I don't pay too much attention to modern stuff)

Like any army, leadership varies, as a whole their NCO's were very professional, though their officers took to the British aristocrat type of officer. (Though a Hauptmann might have been a Berlin slum child growing up....)

How to rate a unit without all of its equipment? How well does it adapt? If it does very well and maintains a good fighting effectiveness then they are doing quite well.

Weather and Terrain are an issue. No one can predict weather but they can prepare for it. Terran is overcome (or not) if you are intelligent enough to know what you are getting into and have a means to get adapted.

I'm thinking about being an armor officer here in a few years...
                              The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed. -Carl Jung

Hell is other people. -Jean-Paul Sarte

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X