June the Sixth.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• June the Sixth.

I am almost 93, and here is one more 6th of June and D Day. I think just about everything has been said and written by the so called experts, but one thing that they cannot produce in any shape or form is our personal memories of old wars which will stay within us and is always ours. lcm1
    'By Horse by Tram'.

I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
    " Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Excellent posting and right on the money. Well done to all of the Western Allies in Normandy 74 years ago. My son just finished his second semester of US History and one of his classmates wrote in his yearbook that she would never forget what D-Day was because of him. He is fascinated with War II.

Again, well done on your posting, especially your comment on 'so-called experts' too many of whom never heard a shot fired in anger.
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
    Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
    To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

Originally posted by lcm1 View Post
      I am almost 93, and here is one more 6th of June and D Day. I think just about everything has been said and written by the so called experts, but one thing that they cannot produce in any shape or form is our personal memories of old wars which will stay within us and is always ours. lcm1
      I think this forum is very fortunate and privileged to have you here LCM willing to share some of those thoughts and memories from someone who 'was there'.

Comment

My thanks to those of you that answered my comments, I am happily living out my twilight (HaHa ) years in a retirement village. Keep pretty fit except for dodgey legs ( No I can't blame it on D Day ) and enjoy my ACG despite my whinging about the change over. Cheers, lcm1 ( Ken )
        'By Horse by Tram'.

" Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

An LCM(1)

LCM%201%20(4).jpg
          Attached Files

Comment

To you and the "Band of Brothers" from the many Allied Nations of that time;

As a military historian, will always remember and celebrate this date.
            As a father whose youngest son was born on June 6th, have an added incentive.
            (BTW, he turns 34 today, about half the age I'll be on my birthday in October. Tempus fugit!)

To all those of my parents' generation, whom played a part, large or small, direct or peripheral, in turning the tide against global conquest and domination by dictatorial, fascist, and oppressive regimes ...

Whiskey for my men, and beer for my horses.
            TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
            Bock's First Law of History: The Past shapes the Present, which forms the Future. *

Comment

Thanks
              We hunt the hunters

Comment

Originally posted by Gooner View Post
                'By Horse by Tram'.

" Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

Thank you for your service, sir. I'm sure all the Americans were glad to have you guys on our side when they hit the beach that day.

Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Thank you Gooner, that's the boy, not the one I was on though it's too clean!!! The LCM1 was one of the oldest actual landing craft in the world was used at Dieppe ( our Coxn's cabin had shrapnel holes in it ) covered up on the outside but very evident on the inside. It was superseded by the LCM3 which was used mainly by the Americans. It could carry 2 small vehicles as well as troops. We carried a Jeep and a Bren gun carrier. Dozens of them were used by the British and Canadians. We went over on a Carrier ship but did the return journey under our own steam, which wasn't very funny. They were a bastard in rough weather, little or no shelter and my Flotilla lost one in the rough seas, just disappeared no one saw it go. Cheers, lcm1
                    'By Horse by Tram'.

" Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

Thanks for those kind words Salinator, Cheers lcm1
                      'By Horse by Tram'.

" Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

Thank you Gooner, that's the boy, not the one I was on though it's too clean!!! The LCM1 was one of the oldest actual landing craft in the world was used at Dieppe ( our Coxn's cabin had shrapnel holes in it ) covered up on the outside but very evident on the inside. It was superseded by the LCM3 which was used mainly by the Americans. It could carry 2 small vehicles as well as troops. We carried a Jeep and a Bren gun carrier. Dozens of them were used by the British and Canadians. We went over on a Carrier ship but did the return journey under our own steam, which wasn't very funny. They were a bastard in rough weather, little or no shelter and my Flotilla lost one in the rough seas, just disappeared no one saw it go. Cheers, lcm1
                        Heck of a lot of water under the bridge since then, lcm1. Cheers and keep well.
                        "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Comment

Working...
                        X