Universal carrier Insanity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Universal carrier Insanity

So I was just mooching around the net, and old bookmarks when I re-found some pictures of slightly odd Universal carrier modifications, and it struck me that this little vehicle hasn't been covered yet. Considering how common it was in the Commonwealth forces, even being produced by Ford in the US.

Anyway, I've posted this one before:

the White bits are rockets to bounce the Bren carrier over a hedge or a wall! and hopefully land in the midst of a bunch of surprised kraut. A truly Airborne tank. The second part of the Photo shows what normally happened, and why it wasn't employed.

Next we have hate rather odd, Praying Mantis.

(note the turret is turned towards the rear in this photo)

the two crew would lie down facing forward. The Main body was level to the ground. When the Mantis was in position behind a hedge, the tank's body would pop up into the position shown, and the little mini turret with a pair of Bren guns could be fired over the hedge.
    Winnie says
    ---------------------------------
    "He fell out of a Gestapo car, over a bridge, and onto a railway line. Then was run over by the Berlin Express.

It was an Accident."
    Herr Flick.

Very cool Listy! Aren't bookmarks wonderful.
    ACG QUOTE OF THE WEEK:
    ¿Cualquier persona fija en el nude? Slug

Comment

Interesting, did any of these

see any "action" Listy? I have never heard of these before, let alone a pic or two of them, no surprise there.....

Cheers

TRDG

Tom

Comment

Nope, or at least not that I've ever heard of. the Mantis was abandoned as was the Jumping carrier (For obvious reasons).
        Winnie says
        "He fell out of a Gestapo car, over a bridge, and onto a railway line. Then was run over by the Berlin Express.

It was an Accident."
        Herr Flick.

Comment

It was bloody dangerous gadding about in carriers at the best of times, never mind rocket assisted types, I've had a ride in one, it was bleedin' awful
          Listy have you still got that picture of the carrier with two dozen PIATs welded to the back?
          The long toll of the brave
          Is not lost in darkness
          Over the fruitful earth
          And athwart the seas
          Hath passed the light of noble deeds
          Unquenchable forever.

Comment

Another bit of insanity that did see service.

Wasp Flame Thrower Carrier

And one I've not seen before. 2 pdr. ATG Carrier

Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

There is one thing I don't understand about that hedge-hoppin' BC. Maybe I missed it but it seems the designers provided for upward thrust but not for forward thrust. You'd end up jumping on the spot. Maybe they planned on putting a bit of cheese underneath and use it like a moustrap for germans

I'm assuming Barnes Wallis wasn't involved with this thing.
              Last edited by Canuckster; 06 Dec 07, 10:58.

Comment

Originally posted by Von Richter View Post
                It was bloody dangerous gadding about in carriers at the best of times, never mind rocket assisted types, I've had a ride in one, it was bleedin' awful
                Listy have you still got that picture of the carrier with two dozen PIATs welded to the back?
                This one?
                Winnie says

It was an Accident."
                Herr Flick.

Comment

I see

the Allies also had some "interesting" ideas, as well as the Germans!! I wonder if we could ever compare what actually "worked", in combat, compared to those that did'nt, as to Allied vs German designs.......

Cheers, just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Listy View Post
                    This one?
                    How do you use this thing in combat? Get close to a bunch of tanks and lob a huge volley of PIAT rounds at them? Sounds very dangerous...
                    Battles are dangerous affairs... Wang Hsi

Comment

Originally posted by Pirate-Drakk View Post
                      How do you use this thing in combat? Get close to a bunch of tanks and lob a huge volley of PIAT rounds at them? Sounds very dangerous...
                      PIATs came with HE rounds and where used to supplement the 2" mortar for HE lobbing.

Here some enterprising Canadians have lashed 14 PIATs to a carrier, as an early form of cluster weapon. As I figure it you reverse up, get the Germans at a predefined range and yank a trigger firing all the PIAT HE rounds, then leg it.
                      Winnie says

It was an Accident."
                      Herr Flick.

Comment

Originally posted by Listy View Post
                        As I figure it you reverse up, get the Germans at a predefined range and yank a trigger firing all the PIAT HE rounds, then leg it.
                        I dunno if it would be a good idea to fire them simultaneously though

Comment

Originally posted by Gooner View Post
                          I dunno if it would be a good idea to fire them simultaneously though
                          Looking at the picture there seems to be a bar through the trigger guards so I guess they were atleast fired a row at a time!
                          Wolster

Comment

Great photo's. Has anybody put out a book on the Universal Carrier?
                            Those that forget history are condemed to repeat it.
                            If you're going to be one you might as well be a BIG RED ONE

Comment

Originally posted by Dallas View Post
                              Great photo's. Has anybody put out a book on the Universal Carrier?
                              Osprey has one. I own it, but it's not handy at the moment. Pretty good book and up to Osprey's usual good standards.
                              Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Karri
                                Prawn heads
                                by Karri
                                How do you cook them? How do you eat them?

So far I've always just twisted them off, and discarded it along with the shells and such, only...
                                Today, 11:40
                              • Jose50
                                Thoughts on the US abandoning NATO
                                by Jose50
                                Now may be a good time for the NATO countries to start beefing up their materiel, personnel and alliances. There is a decided wave here in the US that...
                                Today, 08:41
                              • Von Richter
                                Sagittarius Rising...
                                by Von Richter
                                Just having a re-read of this book after it's stood for donkey's years on the bookshelf. Once again, within the first couple of pages, I'm transported...
                                Today, 01:19
                              Working...
                              X