Sherman variants?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sherman variants?

Just how many different variants were there of M4 Sherman? I've heard years ago that there was more than 40+ different modells n' prototypes, some even still classified as top secret. It was around the end of the last century that I heard this and as there's a lot of hard core armour historians here at ACG I'm givin' it a try to get to the bottom of this.
    The safest place in Korea was behind a platoon of Marines. Lord how they could fight! - MGEN Frank Lowe, U.S. Army.
    ----
    We got a kinder, gentler, Machine gun hand - N.Y.

You name it, and they did it with a Sherman.

An example, the Sherman dozer.

ACG QUOTE OF THE WEEK:
    ¿Cualquier persona fija en el nude? Slug

Comment

What do you mean by "variant?" Dozer blades, mine plows, rocket launchers, etc., could be fitted to any tank. The main Sherman tank variants were differentiated by the drivetrain. M4A1 was the only cast-hull variant (although late-model M4 and M4A6 were constructed with a cast upper front hull), and used the same engine as the welded-hull M4. M4A2, M4A3, M4A4, and M4A6 also were constructed, although M4A6 never saw service. M4A5 was a designation reserved for Canada's Ram II tank.

Once differing US armament is entered into the equation: M4A1, M4A3, and M4A2 were armed with the 76 mm gun M1 series and wet ammo stowage; and M4 and M4A3 were also fitted with the 105 mm howitzer M4. M4A3 was also fitted with wet ammo stowage while retaining the 75 mm gun M3. Horizontal volute spring suspension was fitted to M4A1(76)W, M4A2(76)W, M4A3(76)W, M4(105), and M4A3(105).

All of these variants were produced by the US during WW2, so this is not counting British (e.g., Firefly) or post-war modifications, or the abundance of vehicles based on the drivetrain and suspension.

Comment

Originally posted by DogDodger View Post
        What do you mean by "variant?" Dozer blades, mine plows, rocket launchers, etc., could be fitted to any tank. The main Sherman tank variants were differentiated by the drivetrain. M4A1 was the only cast-hull variant (although late-model M4 and M4A6 were constructed with a cast upper front hull), and used the same engine as the welded-hull M4. M4A2, M4A3, M4A4, and M4A6 also were constructed, although M4A6 never saw service. M4A5 was a designation reserved for Canada's Ram II tank.

Once differing US armament is entered into the equation: M4A1, M4A3, and M4A2 were armed with the 76 mm gun M1 series and wet ammo stowage; and M4 and M4A3 were also fitted with the 105 mm howitzer M4. M4A3 was also fitted with wet ammo stowage while retaining the 75 mm gun M3. Horizontal volute spring suspension was fitted to M4A1(76)W, M4A2(76)W, M4A3(76)W, M4(105), and M4A3(105).

All of these variants were produced by the US during WW2, so this is not counting British (e.g., Firefly) or post-war modifications, or the abundance of vehicles based on the drivetrain and suspension.
        The wiki has a good listing of Sherman varients.
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M4_Sherman_variants

Of course, my favorite Sherman is the Flamm version! Arrrr!

Details here:
        http://www.flamedragons.com/ShermanFlameTank.html
        Battles are dangerous affairs... Wang Hsi

Comment

Originally posted by Pirate-Drakk View Post
          Of course, my favorite Sherman is the Flamm version! Arrrr!

For me, things that make you go boom!

Attached Files
          ACG QUOTE OF THE WEEK:
          ¿Cualquier persona fija en el nude? Slug

Comment

FLAME ON!!

Last edited by Airchallenged; 15 Nov 07, 00:36.
            "We Will Stay Here, If We Must All Go to Hell Together"
            -Col. John R. Cooke, 27th NC

Avatar: My Grandfather on the right. His twin on the left. Their older brother in the middle. In their Navy Blues

Comment

Another good one, the 'Crab':

Wolster

Comment

Sherman 'DDs'

Comment

My favorite Sherman Varient.

Sherman Firefly Vc

Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolster View Post
                    Another good one, the 'Crab':
                    That's a Crab MKII BTW.

Originally posted by RichardS View Post
                    My favorite Sherman Varient.

Sherman Firefly Vc

Sherman Tulip is just as much fun... Hmmmm Firefly Tulip anyone? Did they do that?
                    Winnie says
                    ---------------------------------
                    "He fell out of a Gestapo car, over a bridge, and onto a railway line. Then was run over by the Berlin Express.

It was an Accident."
                    Herr Flick.

Comment

Originally posted by Listy View Post
                      Sherman Tulip is just as much fun... Hmmmm Firefly Tulip anyone? Did they do that?
                      You need to let people know what the heck a Tulip is, Listy! Let me help...

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...ad.php?t=56868

Comment

You need to let people know what the heck a Tulip is, Listy! Let me help...

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...ad.php?t=56868
                        Heh.

The part of that account that makes me wonder about the firefly tulip is this:
                        Thus, although we started with a whole Squadron, we ended up with comparatively few.
                        Imagine the fun of a firefly tulip?!
                        Winnie says
                        ---------------------------------
                        "He fell out of a Gestapo car, over a bridge, and onto a railway line. Then was run over by the Berlin Express.

It was an Accident."
                        Herr Flick.

Comment

Originally posted by cyberia View Post
                          For me, things that make you go boom!

Yesssss, the T34 Calliope MRLS. bring your own rocket artillery with the tank company, volley, release the frame with the push of a button and go in for the mop up.
                          The Purist

Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

Comment

Check out the extendo tracks on this M4A3E9!

M4A3E9/M4A3(105) HVSS - Upgraded with widetrack Horizontal Volute Spring Suspension (HVSS), fitted with the 105mm M4 howitzer.

I think they only made about 1000 or so of the M4A3E9/M4A3(105). I'm not sure how effective these tanks were in actual combat, but when I play ASL I love these tanks! The big 105 mm gun blows infantry to bits, and it's HEAT round is big enough to take down a Panzer IV with little problem. Likewise, the tank is armed with smoke shells, and white phosphorous rounds for added destruction.

This site has some pics of this tank (restored), too large to download.
                            http://www.mvcconline.org/Membersrig...erman_tank.htm

Enjoy!
                            Attached Files

Comment

Check out the extendo tracks on this M4A3E9!

M4A3E9/M4A3(105) HVSS - Upgraded with widetrack Horizontal Volute Spring Suspension (HVSS), fitted with the 105mm M4 howitzer.

I think they only made about 1000 or so of the M4A3E9/M4A3(105). I'm not sure how effective these tanks were in actual combat, but when I play ASL I love these tanks! The big 105 mm gun blows infantry to bits, and it's HEAT round is big enough to take down a Panzer IV with little problem. Likewise, the tank is armed with smoke shells, and white phosphorous rounds for added destruction.

This site has some pics of this tank (restored), too large to download.
                              http://www.mvcconline.org/Membersrig...erman_tank.htm

Enjoy!
                              The folks down at Fort Wayne have one of those howitzer armed Shermans on their grounds and I've been inside the big bastard. My then girlfriend stood well to the front of the tank, trying to take a picture, while I was seated within. I found the gun's elevating wheel and cranked the gun barrel down to point directly at her, before loudly announcing.."SAY CHEESE!"
                              For some reason, she didn't think it was funny..
                              "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X