U.S. Tank Destroyer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U.S. Tank Destroyer

Has anyone read John Miller Jr. book Guadalcanal the First Offensive? It he states that the Americans used a tank destroyer with a 76mm gun and nothing else. I am assuming it to be an Army half-track with a gun. What was it?
    At this early stage of the war I did not think the U.S. believed in or had tank destroyers?
    For that matter did they really need them in the Pacific?

Originally posted by Delta One View Post
    Has anyone read John Miller Jr. book Guadalcanal the First Offensive? It he states that the Americans used a tank destroyer with a 76mm gun and nothing else. I am assuming it to be an Army half-track with a gun. What was it?
    At this early stage of the war I did not think the U.S. believed in or had tank destroyers?
    Neither the Marines or Army had actual tank destroyers on Guadalcanal. The Marines may have had the M3 MGC with a 75mm gun on it as a SP gun.

These were used as general support guns and self propelled artillery by the USMC in the Pacific.

Comment

The Divisional Special Weapons Battalion gives details of how the Marines used the M3 75mm GMC as part of their TOE. It was this vehicle, used by the First Special Weapons Battalion, that Miller is referring to. As TAG mentions, the M3 GMC was used less for antitank warfare and more for firesupport. It's interesting to note that tank destroyers in the European theatre saw a similar evolution in their roles as the war wound down.

Comment

Originally posted by Delta One View Post
        The 75mm GMC M3 was concieved as a tank-destroyer in the summer and autumn of 1941 as the 75mm GMC T12. The first 50 vehicles were shipped to the Phillipines prior to the attack on Pearl Harbour and 12 went to Marine unit mentioned by CarpeDiem and T.A. Gardener. AFAIK none of these were actual tank-destroyer or anti-tank units.

Just as any other US tank-destroyer in WWII, the vehicles were used as SP artillery, when there were no enemy tanks to shoot at.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
        X