37mm Canister shot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by McMax View Post
    The 37mm proved to be a very useful though out the PTO as a direct support weapon, using more than just canister. Its relatively light weight meant it could be man-handled in to position and the high explosive round was a bunker-buster and its AP round could take Japanese tanks.
    IIRC Yeide talks about the 37mm AP round being used to punch through the concrete and then followed by an HE round to kill the Japanese manning the bunker. I wondered why this wasn't a common use for the M5 in the ETO. The M5 was also paired with the M4 and followed it in formation to support it...keep the infantry off with the canister shot, I think. It seems these roles and the use of the canister in jungle clearing I'd have thought it would have found better use in Normandy. Fire a few canister rounds into the bocage and you should hit some flesh?
    John

Play La Marseillaise. Play it!

Comment

Originally posted by JBark View Post
      IIRC Yeide talks about the 37mm AP round being used to punch through the concrete and then followed by an HE round to kill the Japanese manning the bunker. I wondered why this wasn't a common use for the M5 in the ETO. The M5 was also paired with the M4 and followed it in formation to support it...keep the infantry off with the canister shot, I think. It seems these roles and the use of the canister in jungle clearing I'd have thought it would have found better use in Normandy. Fire a few canister rounds into the bocage and you should hit some flesh?
      Except for the lack of platforms firing 37mm in Normandy, but I am not sure when the Cavalry/Recce was landed in France. And with the bocage country the Germans would have, probably, the chance to shoot first.
      Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

Your thinking makes sense to me. In certain types of terrains, accuracy by volume is an excellent method whether the 'volume' comes from the amount or types of ammunition used. In this case, the canister round.
        Not quite the same times, but I got to be at the range while another tank in our platoon got to fire one of the 120mm canister rounds at a hastily constructed block wall at 100 meters. "Holy(explitive omitted)" and "Ouch" were the first things that came to mind when I saw what that round did to the wall.
        "You listen to the ol' Pork Chop Express on a dark and stormy night......"

Comment

Originally posted by triggerjockey View Post
          Your thinking makes sense to me. In certain types of terrains, accuracy by volume is an excellent method whether the 'volume' comes from the amount or types of ammunition used. In this case, the canister round.
          Not quite the same times, but I got to be at the range while another tank in our platoon got to fire one of the 120mm canister rounds at a hastily constructed block wall at 100 meters. "Holy(explitive omitted)" and "Ouch" were the first things that came to mind when I saw what that round did to the wall.
          Wow, didn't know there was a 120mm canister round. Would not want to be down range of that bad news.
          John

Comment

Wow, didn't know there was a 120mm canister round. Would not want to be down range of that bad news.
            They've even fielded a bigger one. The M625 was a canister round for the 152mm gun/launcher on the M551 Sheridan. I believe it had like 10,000 small flechetts.

Comment

Originally posted by llkinak View Post
              They've even fielded a bigger one. The M625 was a canister round for the 152mm gun/launcher on the M551 Sheridan. I believe it had like 10,000 small flechetts.
              Perhaps we should classify that as a WMD!

Well this has been an interesting thread to read-I was not really aware that such ammunition was used in WWII-thanks for the information guys!
              "A foolish man thinks he knows everything if placed in unexpected difficulty; but he knows not what to answer, if to the test he is put."

--Hávamál

Comment

"You listen to the ol' Pork Chop Express on a dark and stormy night......"

Comment

Soviets used them against infantry.Several per tank,but often crew took regular HE instead.
                  It is always more difficult to fight against faith than against knowledge.

Косово је Србија!
                  Never go to war with a country whose national holiday celebrates a defeat in 1389.

Armored Brigade

Armored Brigade Facebook page

Comment

Originally posted by llkinak View Post
                    That one I knew. I was chatting with a friend about the Viet Nam gun trucks and their many variations and I offered one with a 551 turret mounted on the truck bed. Just a fantasy mind you.

On a different note does anyone know if the 37mm mounted in the M3 chambers the same cartridge as the 37mm in the Air Cobra and PT boats?
                    John

Comment

On a different note does anyone know if the 37mm mounted in the M3 chambers the same cartridge as the 37mm in the Air Cobra and PT boats?
                      Yeah, same cartridge.
                      "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

Comment

Originally posted by johnbryan View Post
                        Yeah, same cartridge.
                        I just motivated myself and looked them up in wiki. Not even close.
                        John

Comment

Is there any site or pdf that provides some technical informations on range and accuracy of 37mm and (even better) 75mm/76mm canister rounds?
                          It is always more difficult to fight against faith than against knowledge.

Косово је Србија!
                          Never go to war with a country whose national holiday celebrates a defeat in 1389.

Armored Brigade

Armored Brigade Facebook page

Comment

Originally posted by Exorcist View Post
                            What was the canister round made up of, round lead balls?
                            One hundred twenty-three 3/8" (0.9525 cm) steel balls according to FM 23-81 37-mm Gun, Tank, M6 (Mounted in Tanks), but Hunnicutt says 122 in both Sherman and Stuart.

Originally posted by nikolas93TS View Post
                            Is there any site or pdf that provides some technical informations on range and accuracy of 37mm and (even better) 75mm/76mm canister rounds?
                            Attached is an image from FM 23-81. The 75 and 76 mm guns did not have canister shells.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X