37mm Canister shot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 37mm Canister shot

I've been reading a bit about the use of the M3/5 in the Pacific and the extent to which the 37mm was used with canister shot. It seems it came in quite handy for a few purposes...surprising for such an obsolete weapon. Does anyone know of it seeing similar uses in the ETO?
    John

Play La Marseillaise. Play it!

I've read of a few cases in the ETO but off hand I can't remember details. One was in the Ardennes if I recall right.

Comment

Originally posted by JBark View Post
      I've been reading a bit about the use of the M3/5 in the Pacific and the extent to which the 37mm was used with canister shot. It seems it came in quite handy for a few purposes...surprising for such an obsolete weapon. Does anyone know of it seeing similar uses in the ETO?
      According to Whites WW2 report, the 37mm cannister round was considered next to useless in the ETO. The reverse appears true in the PTO according to Yeide's The Infantry's Armor. Iirc, the Australians developed one for their Matilda's 2pdrs, so I would expect jungle warfare is where said round is most useful.
      How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
      Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

My Mother worked in a plant that made those rounds as QC Inspector.
        "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
          According to Whites WW2 report, the 37mm cannister round was considered next to useless in the ETO. The reverse appears true in the PTO according to Yeide's The Infantry's Armor. Iirc, the Australians developed one for their Matilda's 2pdrs, so I would expect jungle warfare is where said round is most useful.
          The 37mm cannister round proved to be devastating to close packed, charging masses of Japanese troops on Guadalcanal and in other battles of the Solomon Islands, where thick, double canopy treed jungle evironments prevented easy movement that was often limited to a single jungle trail. It was like a giant shotgun in its lethality.
          "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

Comment

Originally posted by johnbryan View Post
            The 37mm cannister round proved to be devastating to close packed, charging masses of Japanese troops on Guadalcanal and in other battles of the Solomon Islands, where thick, double canopy treed jungle evironments prevented easy movement that was often limited to a single jungle trail. It was like a giant shotgun in its lethality.
            That's what I read as well .
            How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
            Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
              That's what I read as well .
              Once US Army and Marine invasions moved farther north and away from thickly jungled islands of the South Pacific, the 37mm's lost much of their effectiveness as an anti-personel weapon and reverted back largely to a light anti-tank gun. Japanese Army assault tactics changed as well and after the Marianas Island Campaign, their troops were forbidden to make massed close assaults on American positions and their interlocking bands of automatic and support weapons fire.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                I've read of a few cases in the ETO but off hand I can't remember details. One was in the Ardennes if I recall right.
                That would make sense, as the US Army troops there found the same sort of conditions in the Ardennes that they found on Guadalcanal ie. thickly forested areas with much underbrush, along with few roads and trails where a single gun could choke off an enemy attack with a single round of cannister.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                  My Mother worked in a plant that made those rounds as QC Inspector.
                  Was she at the plant in Elkton, Maryland?
                  My worst jump story:
                  My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
                  As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
                  No lie.

~
                  "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
                  -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Originally posted by 101combatvet View Post
                    Was she at the plant in Elkton, Maryland?
                    No, one in Warwood WV which is on the Ohio River.

She did this while rasing 4 teens and maintaining a Victory Garden, all without a car.

Different times, different people.
                    "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by johnbryan View Post
                      Once US Army and Marine invasions moved farther north and away from thickly jungled islands of the South Pacific, the 37mm's lost much of their effectiveness as an anti-personel weapon and reverted back largely to a light anti-tank gun. Japanese Army assault tactics changed as well and after the Marianas Island Campaign, their troops were forbidden to make massed close assaults on American positions and their interlocking bands of automatic and support weapons fire.
                      I understand the Marines also made good use of 75mm Howitzers against banzai charges and bunkers. I remember reading somewhere about artillerymen on Tarawa dragging their guns ashore under heavy fire and using them against bunkers point blank. Brave men indeed.
                      You, the mothers, who sent their sons from faraway countries wipe away your tears; your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace, after having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well.

-- Ataturk

Comment

The 37mm proved to be a very useful though out the PTO as a direct support weapon, using more than just canister. Its relatively light weight meant it could be man-handled in to position and the high explosive round was a bunker-buster and its AP round could take Japanese tanks.

Comment

Originally posted by McMax View Post
                          The 37mm proved to be a very useful though out the PTO as a direct support weapon, using more than just canister. Its relatively light weight meant it could be man-handled in to position and the high explosive round was a bunker-buster and its AP round could take Japanese tanks.
                          Well, Japanese armor was notorious for its weakness, you don't need a 57mm to deal with them.
                          You, the mothers, who sent their sons from faraway countries wipe away your tears; your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace, after having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well.

-- Ataturk

Comment

From what I've read the H.E. projectile for the 37mm was very weak. If I recall correctly it only had one ounce of explosive in it. So in an anti-personnel situation with troops in the open canister shot would have been a better option. Against bunkers or lightly armored vehicles such as half tracks H.E. would probably work better.
                            "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" Beatrice Evelyn Hall
                            Updated for the 21st century... except if you are criticizing islam, that scares the $hii+e out of me!

Comment

What was the canister round made up of, round lead balls?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X