Bearcat Tank Destroyer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bearcat Tank Destroyer

I could've sworn I read somewhere (possible an old set of Tamiya instructions) about US WWII tank Destroyer called the Bearcat (not the Hellcat). The TD was essentially an M4a1 Sherman chassis fitted with either an M10 or M36 turret. The TD chassis back deck was not flat but sloped like that of a Sherman tank. I thought it i had read it was pressed into service because it was easier to fit the TD turret to existing or rebuilt Sherman chassis and there was a shortage of the TD chassis which were similar but not available.

Has anyone else read/heard about this? Does anyone have an image? Does anyone remember if it was fitted with the M36 or M10 turret? (Pretty sure it was an M36)
    --Tobias Gibson
    On the web at: Blindkat.hegewisch.net

only bearcat I know of F8F

Comment

Going from memory but the M36B1 was a Jackson (90mm) turret mounted on an M4a1 Sherman hull but I have never heard it called anything but M36B1 (very few conversions were made). The standard M36 was known as the Jackson.
      The Purist

Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

Comment

Originally posted by The Purist View Post
        Going from memory but the M36B1 was a Jackson (90mm) turret mounted on an M4a1 Sherman hull but I have never heard it called anything but M36B1 (very few conversions were made). The standard M36 was known as the Jackson.
        From the wikipedia: The need for 90 mm gunned tank destroyers was so urgent that, during October–December 1944, 187 conversions of standard Medium Tank M4A3 hulls were produced by Grand Blanc Arsenal. These vehicles, designated M36B1, were rushed to the European Theater of Operations and used in combat alongside standard M36s.

Apparently M4a3, not M4a1. I'm guessing I got the type of tank wrong. Now to find out where I heard they were called "bearcats" or if it is just a false memory.
        --Tobias Gibson
        On the web at: Blindkat.hegewisch.net

Comment

This is the only other reference I found in regards to the grand blanc hulls.
          http://wiki.worldoftanks.eu/M36_Slugger

Comment

Bearcat, like Jackson, Slugger, Scott, etc., may have even been bestowed on the vehicle postwar by model companies. None of these were official names used by the troops.

Comment

Originally posted by DogDodger View Post
              Bearcat, like Jackson, Slugger, Scott, etc., may have even been bestowed on the vehicle postwar by model companies. None of these were official names used by the troops.
              Correct afaik. All M10's in British service were called M10's in the regimental diaries, rather than Wolverines (76mm gun) or Achillies (17pdr).

Perhaps the Hellcat prototype with the 90mm was unofficially called the Bearcat? However, I wouldn't bet money on that guess.
              How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
              Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

Originally posted by Blindkat View Post
                From the wikipedia: The need for 90 mm gunned tank destroyers was so urgent that, during October–December 1944, 187 conversions of standard Medium Tank M4A3 hulls were produced by Grand Blanc Arsenal. These vehicles, designated M36B1, were rushed to the European Theater of Operations and used in combat alongside standard M36s.

Oh dear, don't suggest that a bigger gun was needed for the M4

Comment

Originally posted by DogDodger View Post
                  True

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X