• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upturned Tiger ID/ Camo/ Model

Hello all,

Looking for some infor on the attached pic for (one of ) my projects,

As far as I can ascertain;

-Tiger 1 (mmm mm)
    - Late production (Low cuppola/ MG mount/ I suspect monocular sight/ zimmerit etc)
    - Italy 1944 (From googling the crap out of this pic/ descr & old 'war ' books I was give as a kid)
    - Perhaps Red brown / Green cam spray job (no yellow?) maybe some factory yellow under the chipped/ delaminated Zimmerit. Attempts to photo shop to define colours etc has been marginally productive.

Anybody have any more infor in reagrds to Tank No. unit etc I would be most grateful. Particularly the No. (Is that a little showing on the upper side of the turrent under the spare track ? perhaps a "black & white cross" ?)

Cheers.
    Attached Files

It's quite a "famous" tank, there's a photo of a very pissed-off looking GI, having a smoke, sheltering from the rain leaning on it.
    It's been identified as coming from Schwere Panzer-Abteilung 508

More possible schemes on this webpage.
    http://www.warandtactics.com/smf/pan...ec6923#msg4929

Comment

Originally posted by Goffnutz View Post
      Hello all,

Looking for some infor on the attached pic for (one of ) my projects,

As far as I can ascertain;

-Tiger 1 (mmm mm)
      - Late production (Low cuppola/ MG mount/ I suspect monocular sight/ zimmerit etc)
      - Italy 1944 (From googling the crap out of this pic/ descr & old 'war ' books I was give as a kid)
      - Perhaps Red brown / Green cam spray job (no yellow?) maybe some factory yellow under the chipped/ delaminated Zimmerit. Attempts to photo shop to define colours etc has been marginally productive.

Anybody have any more infor in reagrds to Tank No. unit etc I would be most grateful. Particularly the No. (Is that a little showing on the upper side of the turrent under the spare track ? perhaps a "black & white cross" ?)

Cheers.
      Afaic you got everything to a T. I came to the same conclusions a couple of years ago. did not model this one as I, just as you had no info on the markings.
      I attach photo of another Tiger in Italy with brown and green only camo. The turrent no. is a larger 1 red with white outline and smaller 22 in solid white similar in style as the colour plate in the previous post. It has a black and white Balkenkreuz in the normal position on the side. The legend on the front in white gothic lettering reads "v. Eschnapur" as a pun on title of the German adventure film Der Tiger von Eschnapur.
      I believe this Tiger also belonged to the same unit as the one in the above colour plate.
      Another point of interest is the Tiger mouth painted on the gun muzzle brake: Red lips, white teeth with possibly thin black outlining on the outside of the lips. and red inside. For inspiration of shape and proportions of the mouth I refer to the dust jacket of Tiger by Egon Kleine/Volkmar Kuhn.
      Further info: I am sure that the Markings on the stowage bin were in a similar style as shown on the above colour plate exeption that the 1 would have been filled in with red. Additionally, studying photos of the s. Panzer Abt. 508 in Italy, the rear hull of these Tiger is devoid of markings. There is as always a caveat on the markings, nl The crew had at the time of the photo not quite finished the painting in the numbers properly.
      I you are interested in this one I will scan in the photos from a book I have
      which are a lot sharper than the one plucked of the web.

Ed.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by dutched; 15 Aug 11, 20:20.
      The repetition of affirmations leads to belief. Once that belief becomes a deep conviction, you better wake up and look at the facts.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
      X