X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the info...

Comment

Hello Panther,
      If it is of some interest for you or anyone, I did take some pics of the Sherman who is in Hastiθre, originally there was a Jumbo model but following some squabbles (a belgian speciality, less fun than the beer however) the Jumbo was stored and replaced by another Sherman, in U.S markings but not related to the battle. I also have some pics of the Kφnigtiger of La Gleize. The Panther of Celles is my first tank, as a young boy, I was very impressed and it was possible to step in, I did of course and more than once !!
      Corsair
      The day not half over and ten thousand slain
      and now there's nobody remembers our names
      and that's how it is for a soldier
      Lemmy Kilmister in 1916

Comment

Hi Cosair,
        My Father was in this area around September 8, 1944 with the 9th Infantry Division. He took this photo ( I have the negative) was taken about then. The caption is "Two American tank men killed in tank- near Meuse River- Dinant, Belgium." __I am not sure if this photo uploaded, new to this. I am in the process of proofing his WW2 photo/diary for publication and doing some research when I came across this site. He took a few more photos in this area too. I have been working 4 yrs on this- hopefully ready soon. Anyway here is an excerpt from his diary/memoir - I share some of the entries because it is taking so long to get it out and published. I find many people are interested in these excerpts and it gives me the incentive to preserver onward. Here it is ………………………………………………………………………………………………...September 8, 1944
        Rosιe, Belgium
        I didn’t sleep any too well. There wasn’t any shooting but I was a little leery, as the tanks across the street have moved out, leaving us the only ones here.
        I got up about 6:15 a.m. We packed our bedrolls and had a hot cup of coffee. The first group moved out but we had to wait until a little later. We moved a good distance and came to the Meuse River. We traveled along beside it because the bridges are blown out. It is very pretty here; we came to a resort area and the stores and homes are spic and span. I took some pictures, as it was so attractive. We crossed over on a pontoon bridge at Heer. We moved on and passed two dead G.I.s lying near a burning tank. One was uncovered and was ripped open and bloody on his legs. I took a picture as we passed.
        We pulled off the road near Ciney. Some Belgian girls came over and gave us eggs and margarine. They talked a long time with Skoczylas. They were nice kids. They were clean cut and attractive, about 14 and 16 years old, and were well dressed.
        We ate and moved out about 4:30 p.m. and passed through Ciney, which is a big town. The people lined the streets and waved and yelled. There were big crowds and they yelled “Vive les Americains!” I took some pictures. We are traveling through nice country. We pulled into an area on the other side of Ciney. We moved out again in about 17 minutes. We went through small towns and the boys got some sandwiches and apples from the ladies. We pulled into a wooded area to stay for the night. We are getting closer to the German border. I set up a droop tent, and after listening to the news on the radio I went to bed.

Comment

Originally posted by The Land View Post
          I wish bloggers (and webmasters) would stop taking historic photos and posting them online without any information about copyrights and sources. In many cases the person posting them is violating the original photographer's copyright and even where it is legitimate to use and re-use the images there's nothing to indicate that the images can be re-used.

These are historic documents, not linkbait.

Grumble grumble.
          Since this thread has been necromanced anyway, I thought I'd add a comment on the above post.

In by far the majority of books about Second World War armor, it is the owner of the reproduced print that is credited, not the photographer. In other words, its a de facto industry standard not to credit the actual photographer. The rather trivial reason for this is that the photographer is very rarely known, especially for photographs taken by soldiers.

I appreciate that the comment is simplified. Nevertheless, as someone who has a decent collection of original photographs from the Second World War, I object to there being any difference, aside from that of media, between what a publisher does when it publish reproductions of prints from my collection, and when I do the exact same thing on my website.

I will not go into the difference between copyright and moral rights here as not really relevant here, but it's a difference that I would encourage people to investigate.
          Panzerworld
          Preserved Military Vehicle Registry Project More than 1000 Second World War-era museum vehicles on record

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X