Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Very Rare World War 2 photos

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Very Rare World War 2 photos

    At the blog http://militaryhistoryofthe20thcentury.blogspot.com/ the blogger has posted a notice that he has received hundreds of WW2 photographs mostly from the Soviet(Russian)/German front and some from western sources. Most of them have supposedly never been published before but a few have. Many photographs from cameras found on the battlefield or taken from captured troops. I will try to post some the photographs that are up there now.




  • #2
    Hello!

    The Jagdpanzer 38 picture looks like like reenactment...

    Comment


    • #3
      http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-xpISd0_Ylc...Large%2529.jpg

      Is the hit on this Panzer 4, right about where the monocular sight is! It would appear so to me. Dug in good...must have been a HVAP round or something to peirce the frontal mantlet like that?
      ...Its one of our V-8's...Pursuit Special on methane, super hot!

      Comment


      • #4
        That's a well-known shot, 22nd PzDiv in Normandy.

        Comment


        • #5
          Those photos aren't that rare. I remember the top picture of the Panzer IV with the "Ostketten" track extensions in one of the old Squadron-Signal "Panzer Color" books from the late 1980s/early 1990s.

          Comment


          • #6
            Rare photos or not

            When ever I come across some photos on line I use a program called TinEye that searches the web for other postings of the same image and when I checked these that were just posted at his blog only one photo came up from another site. I would accept that as rare for being on line. What photos might have been published in books in the past 60 years is impossible to know unless you have read every military book ever published in all languages.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Glidah Drivah View Post
              Those photos aren't that rare. I remember the top picture of the Panzer IV with the "Ostketten" track extensions in one of the old Squadron-Signal "Panzer Color" books from the late 1980s/early 1990s.
              I said the same thing myself...
              ...Its one of our V-8's...Pursuit Special on methane, super hot!

              Comment


              • #8
                I wish bloggers (and webmasters) would stop taking historic photos and posting them online without any information about copyrights and sources. In many cases the person posting them is violating the original photographer's copyright and even where it is legitimate to use and re-use the images there's nothing to indicate that the images can be re-used.

                These are historic documents, not linkbait.

                Grumble grumble.
                My board games blog: The Brass Castle

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by The Land View Post
                  I wish bloggers (and webmasters) would stop taking historic photos and posting them online without any information about copyrights and sources. In many cases the person posting them is violating the original photographer's copyright and even where it is legitimate to use and re-use the images there's nothing to indicate that the images can be re-used.

                  These are historic documents, not linkbait.

                  Grumble grumble.
                  +1

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Hetzer 15 View Post
                    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-xpISd0_Ylc...Large%2529.jpg

                    Is the hit on this Panzer 4, right about where the monocular sight is! It would appear so to me. Dug in good...must have been a HVAP round or something to peirce the frontal mantlet like that?
                    The penetration, if it's the one I think you are pointing to, is in the turret front, not the mantlet. And it would not have needed to be HVAP by any means. For example, ordinary AP shot from a Sherman's 75mm gun could quite readily penetrate the 50mm (about 2 inches) of armour here, which - by late WW2 standards - was far from being anything special.
                    "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by burntmoon View Post
                      When ever I come across some photos on line I use a program called TinEye that searches the web for other postings of the same image and when I checked these that were just posted at his blog only one photo came up from another site. I would accept that as rare for being on line. What photos might have been published in books in the past 60 years is impossible to know unless you have read every military book ever published in all languages.
                      I have seen all but one of the posted photos in books, several times.

                      Haven't checked the link yet.
                      "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Getting some more interesting ones on there now, the evryday scenes, washing, camping & eating. Anyone know who the Hauptsturmfuhrer
                        with his Ritterkreuz is? I can't read the writing/autograph on the photo.
                        (24th August posts)
                        Good shot of a mid-production Tiger 1 (13th August), great idea for a diorama, note the missing front outer road wheel, often removed to reduce clogging in muddy conditions & the dog!
                        The last set have appeared on here before, they're mostly of a model (The 150mm IG armed "Hetzer"), or modern shots of restored Hetzers/G13s.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Hello dear Panther,
                          I just wonder and look forward for some inquiries about WWII history in the region I live in now.
                          Here's my question, did you know anything about the tanks used by the 2nd SS PD Das Reich in September '44. There was a battle here in the outskirts of Philippeville, Belgium with the advancing elements of the 9th US ID. It seem that 2 german tanks were waiting for US troops, the best I can hear from elderly people around the corner is that those tanks have a pointy nose, so I presume it should have been Panthers. I also look forward because that Ernst Brakmann were also here at this time, just after that german take a retreat behind the river Meuse and there was a big battle versus US troops who crossed the river in Hastière, 20kms from my home.
                          Hope you can help me, I take some photos in Hastiere.
                          Take care of you, best regards.
                          Corsair
                          The day not half over and ten thousand slain
                          and now there's nobody remembers our names
                          and that's how it is for a soldier
                          Lemmy Kilmister in 1916

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Hi corsair,

                            Sorry I haven't answered yet. I am very pressed for time this week but I'll see if I can find some info this coming weekend.
                            "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Hello Panther,
                              I've seen some photos of the Panther situated at Manhay (Grandmenil)
                              So it seem unuseful to post my own photos of this tank, but I can post in a few days some pgotos of the Panther in Celles neatr Dinant and the one of Houffalize. If it is of some interest for you, Thank again for your reply.
                              We are preparing a little exposition in 2014 for the 70th anniversary of the liberation of Philippeville, so we are on high gear in finding the last elderly people who can remember something, not a easy task at all. You listen to some "you know, the german flying fortress with 3 engines"
                              Not easy to figure out the good information and what was the reality.
                              Corsair
                              The day not half over and ten thousand slain
                              and now there's nobody remembers our names
                              and that's how it is for a soldier
                              Lemmy Kilmister in 1916

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X