King Tiger Henchel Model vs The Soviet IS-2/JS-2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• King Tiger Henchel Model vs The Soviet IS-2/JS-2

I was thinking that if there would be a straight head on fight between the King Tiger and the Soviet IS-2/JS-2 who would win?
    King Tiger (Henschel model)
    93.55%
    IS-2
    6.45%

The Tiger II has a much better gun / armor combination for tank vs. tank, it pretty much wins that fight hands down. Optics were better too. Now for an all round tank the IS2 is pretty darn good. It's main draw backs are slow rate of fire and limited ammo storage, but it's D25T main gun is a probably a better GP weapon than the 88L71 on the Tiger II. But for the purposes of your poll King Tiger should be the clear favorite.

Comment

It is so far, but try putting this in the RKK section.

Comment

Are we talking one-on-one? And in what type of terrain? Though, to be fair, I think both tanks were better suited to the same types of terrain.

Not that it's a huge factor, but how're the JSII's weight and maneuverability stacked up against the Tiger II? Granted, with its dual torsion bar suspension, my guess is that the crew in the Tiger II would be less fatigued, and in a similar thread we discussed how the Tiger II isn't quite as immobile as some would have you believe.

Nevertheless, I think the JSII is a slightly smaller tank. Lower profile. That gives it a slight edge in being harder to see (but not by much) and by being a slightly smaller target.

Nevertheless, I don't think either of these even comes close to overcoming that great gun and awesome fire control system that the Tiger II had.

Comment

As good a tank as the IS-2 is ,I think the King Tiger would most likely have the edge here!!

Ultimately, I guess it boils down to who lands the first hit at an effective range.....

Comment

Remember that the IS2 is a much lighter tank at ~44 tons compared to the King Tiger at ~65 tons. A fair weight based comparison is is IS2 vrs Panther as they are both about 44 tons.

Also note that 489 KTs were produced versus ~4500 IS2s so the question should really be which would you rather have 1 KT or 9 IS2s?

Also are we talking about a late production KT with significant weaknesses in its armour due to a shortage of key alloys or an earlier production KT?

Did the tanks have to do a significant march to get to the battle site? If so the KT is probably not even there as it either broke down, bogged down or ran out of fuel on the way.

Are there any bridges or fords required? If so the KT is probably waiting for the engineers to reinforce the bridge so that it can cross.

The IS2 is the better operational weapons system. The KT is the better tactical tank if and when it is functioning.

Comment

All King Tigers were manufactured by Henschel...

Comment

Originally posted by DogDodger View Post
                All King Tigers were manufactured by Henschel...
                There was a run of 50 Porsche KT's produced. Some were put into service as well.
                "You listen to the ol' Pork Chop Express on a dark and stormy night......"

Comment

Originally posted by triggerjockey View Post
                  There was a run of 50 Porsche KT's produced. Some were put into service as well.
                  The Porsche part was just the turret design, IIRC.

Comment

For what AdrianE said about weight:
                    "Remember that the IS2 is a much lighter tank at ~44 tons compared to the King Tiger at ~65 tons. A fair weight based comparison is is IS2 vrs Panther as they are both about 44 tons."

There are records of Panthers taking out IS2 at combat ranges of around 1 kilometer due to the better optics carried by the Panthers.
                    So given that the Königstiger had a better gun, armour and similar optics (I don't know what optics the Königstiger or the Panther had).

I assume that in a one on one battle, at around 1 kilomater on flat open steppes it would be first shot win, though i'd put my money on the Königstiger.

Also there was even a recorded kill of a IS2 by a Hetzer (but the hetzer was only around 500 meters away).
                    "In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
                    - Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Comment

But overall the IS2 was a better tank; being faster and easier to make, wit ha large gun, good armor and a decent weight and speed.
                      "In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
                      - Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Comment

Originally posted by llkinak View Post
                        Right, but that is how they are distinguished. Also, the Henschel had better turret armor. 100mm frontal and 88mm on the side of the mantlet sloped at 60 degrees for the Porsche turret compared to 180mm frontal armor sloped at 81 degrees. Plus, the reconfiguration of the turret angles allowed for an extra 6 rounds of ammunition to be carried in the Henschel turret, 16, compared to 22. So, these items need to taken into consideration. Especially if you are talking about a slug fest with IS-2's.

Comment

Originally posted by llkinak View Post
                          Krupp designed both turrets. The first 47 tanks were fitted with a turret with a curved mantlet meant for Porsche's Tiger II design. The turret intended for the Henschel design first appeared on the 48th tank accepted.

Comment

Originally posted by Willow109 View Post
                            For what AdrianE said about weight:
                            "Remember that the IS2 is a much lighter tank at ~44 tons compared to the King Tiger at ~65 tons. A fair weight based comparison is is IS2 vrs Panther as they are both about 44 tons."

There are records of Panthers taking out IS2 at combat ranges of around 1 kilometer due to the better optics carried by the Panthers.
                            So given that the Königstiger had a better gun, armour and similar optics (I don't know what optics the Königstiger or the Panther had).

I assume that in a one on one battle, at around 1 kilomater on flat open steppes it would be first shot win, though i'd put my money on the Königstiger.

Also there was even a recorded kill of a IS2 by a Hetzer (but the hetzer was only around 500 meters away).
                            Supposedly, a Nashorn crew under Lieutenant Beckmann of sPzJagAbt 88 knocked out an IS-2 from 4600 meters in March of 1945 near Marzdorf.

Comment

Originally posted by triggerjockey View Post
                              Supposedly, a Nashorn crew under Lieutenant Beckmann of sPzJagAbt 88 knocked out an IS-2 from 4600 meters in March of 1945 near Marzdorf.
                              I'm more inclined to believe the story about the Hetzer than this little gem.
                              A bit at that range is more of a fluke than anything else even today. What kind of optics did the 88 have, anyhow?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X