"The Last Citadel" book review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "The Last Citadel" book review

I have read this book several times and it is excellent. It's all about the Battle of Kursk and the Tiger 1. The author is David L. Robbins...he also wrote the book that the movie "Enemy at the Gates" was based on.

Haven't read it, but I'll certainly keep an eye out for it. The title does sound familiar. Is it a Stackpole title by anychance?
    "To be defeated and not submit, is victory; to be victorious and rest on one's laurels, is defeat."
    --Marshal Józef Piłsudski

Comment

Originally posted by Pilsudski View Post
      Haven't read it, but I'll certainly keep an eye out for it. The title does sound familiar. Is it a Stackpole title by anychance?
      No, it's published by Bantam Books. It is a fiction book except some real dates and events were used. It is a pretty good book. Another good fiction read, if interested, is 'The Devil's Oasis'.
      "You listen to the ol' Pork Chop Express on a dark and stormy night......"

Comment

It's an OK way to spend an afternoon, just don't get your hopes up for historical accuracy. The other book referred to in the OP is "War of the Rats" It's written along the same vein as Last Citadel and is similarly enjoyable but not necessarily an accurate rendition of events.

Comment

If you look at the bio of the author David L. Robbins, it tells how did a vast amount of research on the Battle of Kursk. He went over to Russia and interviewed tankers and soldiers, spent time in the sunflower fields, rode around in a T34, etc. Here's the link:http://www.davidlrobbins.com/novels/.../research.html My concern is that when I read the book, I want to know if it was accurate. The experts opinions on this forum should suffice.

Comment

Originally posted by triggerjockey View Post
            No, it's published by Bantam Books. It is a fiction book except some real dates and events were used. It is a pretty good book. Another good fiction read, if interested, is 'The Devil's Oasis'.
            If it is written on the Battle of Kursk how is it a fiction? That doesn't make sense, unless I am reading it from the wrong point of veiw.
            In this world nothing is certain but death and taxes
            - Benjamin Franklin, U.S. statesman, author, and scientist

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny_Reb View Post
              If it is written on the Battle of Kursk how is it a fiction? That doesn't make sense, unless I am reading it from the wrong point of veiw.
              It could be considered what they frequently call "historical fiction" It was based around real events but the main characters and the plots are made up, even though Citadel was real.

Comment

Originally posted by llkinak View Post
                It could be considered what they frequently call "historical fiction" It was based around real events but the main characters and the plots are made up, even though Citadel was real.
                Exactly. The events and time lines used in the book were well researched. No doubt about that. The character's themselves and their exploits were fiction.
                "You listen to the ol' Pork Chop Express on a dark and stormy night......"

Comment

Ok that makes sense. Thank you for clearing that up.
                  In this world nothing is certain but death and taxes
                  - Benjamin Franklin, U.S. statesman, author, and scientist

Comment

Originally posted by Achtung Bill View Post
                    I have read this book several times and it is excellent. It's all about the Battle of Kursk and the Tiger 1. The author is David L. Robbins...he also wrote the book that the movie "Enemy at the Gates" was based on.
                    Confused...I thought William Craig wrote Enemy at the Gates.

Comment

Originally posted by skoblin View Post
                      Confused...I thought William Craig wrote Enemy at the Gates.
                      He did. I think the OP is referring to "War of the Rats" by Robbins, which also happens to be about Stalingrad.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X