Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Allied " Tiger/Panther Tanks?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • "Allied " Tiger/Panther Tanks?

    I did a google search and not yet found anything on this title.
    I know there were many British,US,Russian tanks were found and used by the germans for battle against the allies under the German flag, example: (T-34,Sherman)
    However, was there any Panthers and Tigers doing battle against the Germans under the US/British flags?

  • #2
    Originally posted by Heidi View Post
    I did a google search and not yet found anything on this title.
    I know there were many British,US,Russian tanks were found and used by the germans for battle against the allies under the German flag, example: (T-34,Sherman)
    However, was there any Panthers and Tigers doing battle against the Germans under the US/British flags?
    There sure were: ...British PzKpfw V Panther Ausf G "Cuckoo"
    from 4th Battalion of 6th Coldstream Guards Tank Brigade, North-West Europe, 1944/45....


    From...Achtung panzer

    http://www.achtungpanzer.com/panzerk...sd-kfz-171.htm
    BoRG
    "... and that was the last time they called me Freakboy Moses"

    Comment


    • #3


      And ....er.... Sarge that is one of ours I hope !!?
      How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
      Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

      Comment


      • #4
        Already posted some of these







        www.histours.ru

        Siege of Leningrad battlefield tour

        Comment


        • #5
          Thanks you, AP,Nick,SHAA .

          Also,did the allied crew members have trouble working the German Tanks?
          and...
          Did the allied crew report back to there commanders on any progress they had?

          Comment


          • #6
            The Western Allies did not use captured tanks as a matter of policy. In INDIVIDUAL cases in 1944/45 captured vehicles (mostly lorries and half-tracks) were used until they broke down. Some Panthers and Tigers (we are talking single digits here) were driven by the capturing troops but then you will find plenty of Cromwell's and Shermans with curious German drivers.
            The Soviets did use a few (stress the 'few') but they had a habit of using everything that could move under its own power.

            Comment


            • #7
              I don't care how big you make the stars, I would have had second thoughts about using any captured Tanks.... IF my side had air-superiority.
              Those fly-boys could be awfully trigger-happy.

              It would be another story if I had my back to the wall and there was nothing else handy. However, in that situation, it's the enemy that is moving forward and you have little chance to scrounge spare parts and ammo.

              The best use I ever heard of was how the Germans used enemy tanks to head up columns and bust through enemy road-blocks. Those 3 Russian Panthers could have been handy for that... did the Red Army ever use that tactic?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by m kenny View Post
                The Western Allies did not use captured tanks as a matter of policy. In INDIVIDUAL cases in 1944/45 captured vehicles (mostly lorries and half-tracks) were used until they broke down. Some Panthers and Tigers (we are talking single digits here) were driven by the capturing troops but then you will find plenty of Cromwell's and Shermans with curious German drivers.
                The Soviets did use a few (stress the 'few') but they had a habit of using everything that could move under its own power.
                The French Army was short on heavy equipment in 1944 when all the FFI were integrated in the Army, All the German tanks and SP artillery that could be scrounged on the battlefield were put to use, teams of mechanics were sent to recover useable parts from destroyed tanks and put back in services those with light damages.

                Two full armored regiments of the French army kept their Panthers until the early 1950 (they were based in Germany then) when they finally ran out of spare parts.

                kelt

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by kelt06 View Post
                  The French Army was short on heavy equipment in 1944 when all the FFI were integrated in the Army, All the German tanks and SP artillery that could be scrounged on the battlefield were put to use, teams of mechanics were sent to recover useable parts from destroyed tanks and put back in services those with light damages.

                  Two full armored regiments of the French army kept their Panthers until the early 1950 (they were based in Germany then) when they finally ran out of spare parts.

                  kelt
                  I have a few questions here. How many Panther's are we talking about that were in service with the French? Were the French forced to use captured equipment due to lack of industrial capability due to infrastructure and industrial damage? Lastly, were the units that were folded in after the war using that equipment because they were low priority with being refitted?
                  "You listen to the ol' Pork Chop Express on a dark and stormy night......"

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Exorcist View Post

                    The best use I ever heard of was how the Germans used enemy tanks to head up columns and bust through enemy road-blocks. Those 3 Russian Panthers could have been handy for that... did the Red Army ever use that tactic?
                    Yes they did during operation Uranus.The Russians had several German panzers they put at the head of the column heading for Kalach to complete the encirclement of Stalingrad.
                    If you Ain't Cav,You Ain't S---

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Though the French did use captured German equipment this was used in the reduction of the Atlantic Ports. They never used them in the advance into Germany

















                      an interesting thread
                      http://www.ww2f.com/weapons-wwii/222...fvs-tanks.html

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        The best reference on the subject is the book Les Chars De La Resistance by Luc Braeuer. It was only 7 euros when it came out but I think it will be difficult to find now.
                        French Magazines feature these vehicles on a regular basis and the last I know was in the April-May 2009 Edition (No.25) of '2 Guerre Mondiale'








                        Last edited by m kenny; 04 Jun 10, 08:56.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Exorcist View Post
                          I don't care how big you make the stars, I would have had second thoughts about using any captured Tanks.... IF my side had air-superiority.
                          Those fly-boys could be awfully trigger-happy.
                          Interesting point, but I wonder, these tanks sure are easy to tell apart from the photos taken from ground level from a dozen metres away, a hundred tops. From some hundred metres up in the sky, rushing around at several hundred miles per hour, wouldn't a trigger happy pilot wind up blowing apart a lot of friendly tanks, not just captured German ones, but Cromwells and Shermans, too?
                          Reaction to the 2016 Munich shootings:
                          Europe: "We are shocked and support you in these harsh times, we stand by you."
                          USA: "We will check people from Germany extra-hard and it is your own damn fault for being so stupid."

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by triggerjockey View Post
                            I have a few questions here. How many Panther's are we talking about that were in service with the French? Were the French forced to use captured equipment due to lack of industrial capability due to infrastructure and industrial damage? Lastly, were the units that were folded in after the war using that equipment because they were low priority with being refitted?
                            There was a critical shortage of meduium tanks in 1944-45 and there were none spare to supply the French. They were forced to use whatever they could get hold of.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by m kenny View Post
                              There was a critical shortage of meduium tanks in 1944-45 and there were none spare to supply the French. They were forced to use whatever they could get hold of.
                              The French armored units already equipped with US material were reapprovisioned to fill their losses as efficiently as the US units, but there was no plan nor material available to kit up newly formed units in 1944.

                              One regiment, the 13th dragon was outfitted in 1944 with two squadrons of B1Bis and one squadron of Somua S35 recovered from Normandy and the Somua factory, the only upgrade was to fit two ways radio to the S35 and the B1Bis that had originally only be fitted with a receiver.

                              The fabrication line of Mas 36 rifle was restarted in september 1944, the trains carrying most of the machine tools to germany had been sabotaged and was stranded somewhere north of Paris.

                              A fabrication of 5.000 stengun copycat named R5 was carried out from July to September 1944.

                              kelt
                              Last edited by kelt06; 04 Jun 10, 17:40.

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X