American use of German Tanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American use of German Tanks

Is anyone aware of Amercans using capture German tanks against the Germans?
    Lots on Russians and 1 British, but nothing on the Americans ever doing it.

Thanks

George

To use captured equipment you need more than the price itself; you need the logistics. In this case ammo that works with the tank and enough spare parts to keep it operational. Then you need to know how to operate the sob, it's kinks and such. The Germans didn't have enough spares to fix the tanks, and besides German AFVs were all more maintence heavy than Shermans, so why bother?
    How many Allied tanks it would take to destroy a Maus?
    275. Because that's how many shells there are in the Maus. Then it could probably crush some more until it ran out of gas. - Surfinbird

Comment

Didn't the Germans use captured allied stuff rarely, too? We probably used a few captured artillery guns and stuff, but probably not tanks...although I know the Germans had a few captured T-34 tanks from Russia, but that's different peoples lol.
      "A foolish man thinks he knows everything if placed in unexpected difficulty; but he knows not what to answer, if to the test he is put."

--Hávamál

Comment

Originally posted by Super Six 4 View Post
        Didn't the Germans use captured allied stuff rarely, too? We probably used a few captured artillery guns and stuff, but probably not tanks...although I know the Germans had a few captured T-34 tanks from Russia, but that's different peoples lol.
        I believe that we had used a few captured German 88s.
        In this world nothing is certain but death and taxes
        - Benjamin Franklin, U.S. statesman, author, and scientist

Comment

Originally posted by Booy View Post
          I believe that we had used a few captured German 88s.
          Well hell, who wouldn't?! The 88 could kill practically anything-I'd use them against the Germans if I had the chance!
          "A foolish man thinks he knows everything if placed in unexpected difficulty; but he knows not what to answer, if to the test he is put."

--Hávamál

Comment

I've seen pictures of German halftracks in US usage.
            If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

Originally posted by Freightshaker View Post
              I've seen pictures of German halftracks in US usage.
              Hmm, I guess if your breaks down on the front it wouldn't be a bad alternative, huh?

--Hávamál

Comment

I agree that the Germans had enough trouble keeping their AFVs running themselves and it wouldn't have made sense for the Americans to have taken on that hassle. I have read of several instances of the Americans coming up aginst Shermans manned by German crews. I believe Creighton Abrams combat team had to deal with one during the drive to break the encirclement of Bastonge. In addition, I think I remember seeing a photo of a knocked-out Sherman with German markings.

Comment

I have a picture of a Panther which was captured and used by the Guards Armoured Division early in 1945. I also have a picture of US troops using an 88. I suspect they were just used until the ammo ran out.

Comment

Originally posted by panzerjaeger View Post
                    I have a picture of a Panther which was captured and used by the Guards Armoured Division early in 1945. I also have a picture of US troops using an 88. I suspect they were just used until the ammo ran out.
                    The US had a severe ammo shortage in 1944. So much that they had to be 'lent' over 100 25pdr guns as there was plenty of ammo for them.
                    The US also used captured 88's (I believe at least one battery was composed of these captured weapons)for the same reason.
                    This 'captured panzers' question is asked a lot and I suspect the root is a belief that 'panzers' were so superior that Allied troops must have all wanted one to replace their own 'inferior' machines.
                    In reality only one nation in WW2 used captured tanks in the 1000's. That nation was Germany

Comment

Originally posted by m kenny View Post
                      The US had a severe ammo shortage in 1944. So much that they had to be 'lent' over 100 25pdr guns as there was plenty of ammo for them.
                      The US also used captured 88's (I believe at least one battery was composed of these captured weapons)for the same reason.
                      This 'captured panzers' question is asked a lot and I suspect the root is a belief that 'panzers' were so superior that Allied troops must have all wanted one to replace their own 'inferior' machines.
                      In reality only one nation in WW2 used captured tanks in the 1000's. That nation was Germany
                      Isn't that when we started having to recycle metal more?

--Hávamál

Comment

Here's a tidbit from Achtung Panzer:
                        Small number of captured Panthers was also pressed into service by British (e.g. Ausf G "Cuckoo" from 4th Battalion of 6th Coldstream Guards Tank Brigade, North-West Europe, 1944/45), Canadian, French and American units and three were used by the Polish Home Army during the Warsaw Uprising in 1944, against its former owners.Also small number was captured and operated by the French resistance in mid 1944. They took part in fighting in the Rouen area, where two of them were destroyed on August 30th of 1944 by Tigers from sSSPzAbt 102. This was probably the most interesting combat situation involving Panthers.
                        Again from Achtung Panzer:
                        British PzKpfw V Panther Ausf G "Cuckoo" from 4th Battalion of 6th Coldstream Guards Tank Brigade, North-West Europe, 1944/45.
                        Attached Files
                        ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

Here is a site about Allied vehicles in German service:

http://beute.narod.ru/Beutepanzer/main.htm

Thanks to Erkki for pointing this out (a while ago now).

Comment

The US 79th Infantry Division used some German AFVs and Halftracks from late March 1945 through the end of the war (or until they broke down).
                            Kevin Kenneally
                            Masters from a school of "hard knocks"
                            Member of a Ph.D. Society (Post hole. Digger)

Comment

Good work so far guys!!
                              Anyone have any pictures of American used Panthers
                              like the Cockoo 1?
                              Any books or website that may tell or show something?
                              I really need help on this one.

George

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X