This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Merkava188 View Post
    I wonder if the Panzer 4 influenced the development of the Tiger I tank?
    I had a quick look at the book Germany's Tiger Tanks - D.W. to Tiger I: Design, Production & Modifications, Thomas Jentz & Hilary Doyle, Schiffer Publishing.
    During the early part of the design and development phase that eventually led to Tiger I, the projected weight of the new "breakthrough tank" was originally meant to be around 30 tons.
    There are occasional references to the PzKpfw IV having been used as a "benchmark" to help establish some of the parameters for the new tank, which was obviously intended to be more powerful but still built to the same basic design concept.
    Ultimately, these parameters - which included the size of the main armament and other attributes - were considerably exceeded.
    However, similarities to the basic design & layout of PzKpfw IV are very much evident, even though there does not appear to have been a conscious effort to imitate it.
    It seems to have been more of a natural flow-on, in basic design terms.
    "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
    X