Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Were the Panther and Tiger 2 easier to produce than the tanks they replaced?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Were the Panther and Tiger 2 easier to produce than the tanks they replaced?

I've read that the German's were successful in simplifying their tankdesigns as the war went on, and that their late-war "complex monster tanks" were in fact easier to produce than previous tanks.

Is this true? How is it measured?
    Last edited by tracks031; 19 Jul 20, 05:58. Reason: spelling

Originally posted by tracks031 View Post
    I've read that the German's were successful in simplifying their tankdesigns as the war went on, and that their late-war "complex monster tanks" were in fact easier to produce than previous tanks.

Is this true? How is it measured?
    Tanks like the Panzer IV was simplified a lot as the war went on and some simplification happened on the Panther as well.

If cost is a measure, IIRC the Panzer IV Ausf. G cost around 103.000 RM while the Panther cost around 117.000 RM. As the Panther was a lot more tank for the money, I suppose it would indicate some simplification of production.

The basic hull of the Panther and Tiger II were probably easier to make than earlier German designs (fewer plates, fewer welds).

Comment

Surely not.
      To build a Tiger it took 300,000 man-hours to build, and cost 800,000 Reichmarks -per tank.
      As for the Panther, initial products rates were just twelve per week.
      THe trouble was that with, typical German thoroughness,great attention was paid to produce the best battlefield product possible but with little or no regard for facilitating ease of production:-"Gold Plating".

"One captured panzer commander groused that his tanks had all been designed by watchmakers"
      (Arms of Destruction, Robert A.Slayton)
      "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
      Samuel Johnson.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

Apparently both Tiger I and II needed 300,000 man-hours to build, so it makes no sense to claim TII was easier to produce.

According to Wikipedia, Tiger I cost 250,800 RM. For around 13-14 extra tonnes in material TII's cost seems to grow massively. Is there anything particular that might make it so much expensive? Could it be the very high-velocity gun?

Comment

While weight increases arithmetically, the complications for the production processes caused by that arithmetical increase in weight don't grow arithmetically, but exponentially.
          Michele

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X