Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about Porsche's rival to the King Tiger (VK45.02(p))

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Porsche's rival to the King Tiger (VK45.02(p))

I heard that there were hulls or prototypes built - man, did that surprise me.
    Does anyone know how far the prototypes were built? Were there functional tanks built? And is there a picture of them somewhere?

Thank you!
    Last edited by oldngruff; 27 Mar 19, 15:08. Reason: spelling.

Originally posted by oldngruff View Post
    I heard that there were hulls or prototypes built - man, did that surprise me.
    Does anyone know how far the prototypes were built? Were there functional tanks built? And is there a picture of them somewhere?

Thank you!
    Porshe equipped some of the Tigers with their turret.
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

As opposed to the Henschel variant:
      Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

It's not the so called "Porsche-turret" I'm asking about (it was built by Krupp for both Henschel's and Porsche's tanks), but the prototype called VK.45.02(p), which was the rival to the famous King Tiger.

typ180side.jpg

A previous version of essentially the same tank was the rival of Henschel when the Tiger 1 was developed, which lost, after 100 hulls had already been made, which were then used to make the Ferdinand Tank Destroyer, aswell as 9 Bergetigers and 1 single turreted tank.

I think I found the answer though! A guy on Reddit said, according to Panzer Tracts, 3 hulls were under construction in early '43, and that's all there is about them--presumably because they were scrapped when the Henschel-tank was chosen....

So- no pictures of it, if it ever were complete:

vk4502p1.jpg
        Last edited by oldngruff; 27 Mar 19, 21:33.

Comment

There were two versions of the Porsche design - these differed in the positioning of the turret. A full mock up prototype was completed by October 1942 but, as no photo has come to light, of which version is unclear. The Porsche turret was so called because so confident was the company that they would get the contract that they placed an initial order with Krupp for their design. They didn't get the contract for a number of reasons
          • The tank used a petrol/eclectic drive which would require large amounts of copper and there was already a copper shortage
          • Porsche included so many innovations in the design that there were serious concerns about the difficulties of production and maintenance
          and the turrets went on the Henschel but the design was flawed as it created a shell trap
          Last edited by MarkV; 28 Mar 19, 08:31.
          Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
          Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by oldngruff View Post
            It's not the so called "Porsche-turret" I'm asking about (it was built by Krupp for both Henschel's and Porsche's tanks), but the prototype called VK.45.02(p), which was the rival to the famous King Tiger.

typ180side.jpg

A previous version of essentially the same tank was the rival of Henschel when the Tiger 1 was developed, which lost, after 100 hulls had already been made, which were then used to make the Ferdinand Tank Destroyer, aswell as 9 Bergetigers and 1 single turreted tank.

I think I found the answer though! A guy on Reddit said, according to Panzer Tracts, 3 hulls were under construction in early '43, and that's all there is about them--presumably because they were scrapped when the Henschel-tank was chosen....

So- no pictures of it, if it ever were complete:

vk4502p1.jpg
            IIRC, The prototypes were built out of mild steel ( various reasons for this). Possibly they became -real water tanks.....
            The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

Comment

Originally posted by marktwain View Post
              IIRC, The prototypes were built out of mild steel ( various reasons for this).
              A not uncommon practice in a number of countries and dating back to WW1

They would have been scrapped and the metal recycled
              Last edited by MarkV; 28 Mar 19, 09:24.
              Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
              Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
                There were two versions of the Porsche design - these differed in the positioning of the turret. A full mock up prototype was completed by October 1942 but, as no photo has come to light, of which version is unclear. The Porsche turret was so called because so confident was the company that they would get the contract that they placed an initial order with Krupp for their design. They didn't get the contract for a number of reasons
                • The tank used a petrol/eclectic drive which would require large amounts of copper and there was already a copper shortage
                • Porsche included so many innovations in the design that there were serious concerns about the difficulties of production and maintenance
                and the turrets went on the Henschel but the design was flawed as it created a shell trap
                Thanks for the answer! Shame there's no photos around...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X