Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remember Panther found in Ukraine?

http://www.panther1944.de/Forum/view...?t=709&start=0

That's certainly neat, but I have to wonder sometimes, is it worth it to restore a tank if only a small portion is actually the original vehicle?

Would it not be simpler and easier to just use the intact parts as physical reference and then just assemble a whole new vehicle if the plan is to have a life size representative copy?
    Life is change. Built models for decades.
    Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
    I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Wow! Nice site and great pictures of that panther! I hope they are soon able to repair and get that big cat up and running!
      "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Maud'dib View Post
        That's certainly neat, but I have to wonder sometimes, is it worth it to restore a tank if only a small portion is actually the original vehicle?

Would it not be simpler and easier to just use the intact parts as physical reference and then just assemble a whole new vehicle if the plan is to have a life size representative copy?
        I believe what you see is what you get! It's just for display purposes and not for restoration (so far, that is). Does anyone know anything different??

Comment

Given whats left of it...You are right Paul...

Tom D Quote:
          I believe what you see is what you get! It's just for display purposes and not for restoration (so far, that is). Does anyone know anything different??
          And I hope you are right Tom.

Comment

Diffently a internal explosion, maybe by the crew so it wouldn't fall in enemy hands?
            Life is what happens to you when your busy making other plans! Lennon - www.lufttiger.com

Comment

No, because there is a difference between an actual piece of history, and a replica. The replica represents what was, whereas the actual item was.
              ACG QUOTE OF THE WEEK:
              ¿Cualquier persona fija en el nude? Slug

Comment

cyberia

Good point there, one that rings true! Now if we were looking at a movie site or something like that, P.M. would be right on, but this is a collectors tank, restored or not, right? Tom D?

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by cyberia View Post
                  No, because there is a difference between an actual piece of history, and a replica. The replica represents what was, whereas the actual item was.
                  I agree with what you are saying but if only a small part of the running machine is real, is it right to pass it off as the real thing? I think better to stick this in a museum as is and if people want to see one running then build a replica!
                  Wolster

Comment

Originally posted by Wolster View Post
                    I agree with what you are saying but if only a small part of the running machine is real, is it right to pass it off as the real thing? I think better to stick this in a museum as is and if people want to see one running then build a replica!
                    No, passing off any heavily restored vehicle as the real thing would be wrong, but as a representative piece on display is whole other matter. Restorable Panthers are a rare find and from what I can see from the photos there is much of the original tank remaining. All one side, most of the upper hull, deck and turret. A prime candidate as restored machine.

Below is a link to another restored Panther and what was involved, as well as video of a T-34, captured and used by the Germans, being pulled from a Russian lake.

http://www.twenot.nl/panther.htm

ACG QUOTE OF THE WEEK:
                    ¿Cualquier persona fija en el nude? Slug

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X