• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like a big mix of things:

T-34 tracks
    Japanese suspension
    German turret and hull

I have no idea what it is.
    If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

Panther-ish type.....

I wish those pics were a little more clear!! Panther parts for sure I think....

Interesting!!

Cheers

Comment

Is this a model or the real deal? Isn't that a Swiss marking on the side (white cross)?

HP
        "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint View Post
          Is this a model or the real deal? Isn't that a Swiss marking on the side (white cross)?

HP
          Looks like a kitbash of some kind to me.

Comment

Definetly have to agree with redstar on that one...Kit bash for sure ...

The turret is certainly that of the PzKw III, the gun looks a bit large even for the L60 varient of the 50mm though.

The chassis is certainly not of German design though.

Comment

I might go with an American AFV , on a captured Japanese chassis; and rebuilt to a degree from a Japanese tank wreck;
              Purpose to mislead the Japanese? After the war?

Could be a kitbash, but difficult to tell, I'll go with photo of the real thing;(if the blow-up of the real thing isn't a sheet metal put to gether life size model

Also looks like the gun is a capture Japanese 75mm Anti-Aircraft gun as found on the Ni-Ho SPG;

Gun mantel is M36 Jackson TD Type and I go with its an American AFV finally
              Last edited by webmill2203524; 06 Oct 07, 17:44.

Comment

I found this on another forum: It's a Hungarian tank (white cross is a clue) WW2 "44M Tas" tank prototype. The picture is of a metal mockup. The factory was destroyed by bombardment before the first prototype could be finished.

Armor - Glacis: 75mm at 60 degrees, Turret: 100mm all around
                Combat weight: 36,600kg
                Engine: 2x WM V8, 260HP each
                Max Speed: 44.5km/h
                Armament: 8cm/L58 AA gun 29/44M, MV 872 m/s with 8kg AP

Comment

Boy, was I way off!!

Yep, I was way out there on that one, but I tried..... Any info when the factory was destroyed and by who?

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by TRDG View Post
                    Yep, I was way out there on that one, but I tried..... Any info when the factory was destroyed and by who?

Cheers
                    According to a translation of the German Wikipedia, "both prototypes were destroyed on 27 July 1944 through a bomb attack and all further developments were stopped."

Comment

Boy do I feel silly Nice job of digging for the truth. I searched for hours.. Looking at all the main players ie. USA, UK, France, etc.

Comment

Not an easy one as far as I am concerned:

Its possibility as a post war tank coming from the former Axis as an answer is difficult as that the post war communist rule of the former Axis Allies (Hungary, Romania, and bulgaria) would be prohibiting and causing the shut down of a Main Battle tank production of its former enemies if it was designed during the Nazi era.

the US along with Russia and Great Britain were allowed to do this; the Hungarians in the Communist Democratic Republic were not.

since a sheet metal life size model (a steel mock up here) my answer,using the post war Americans American AFV ;but a steel mock up can start from anywhere
                        can show that the japanese anti aircraft gun is based on a european design and as is the japanese suspension European and since european;
                        this can go back/trace to the Axis among others,what I had in mind;; Hungary here as the answer shows

interesting the Hungarians made the steel mock up for the future but during the war --and used the anti aircraft gun as a main gun same as my American AFV steel mock up possibilty ;
                        and this traces to European to begin with on AA ;
                        Last edited by webmill2203524; 08 Oct 07, 05:42.

Comment

Originally posted by webmill2203524 View Post
                          N

Its possibility as a post war tank coming from the former Axis as an answer is difficult as that the post war communist rule of the former Axis Allies (Hungary, Romania, and bulgaria) would be prohibiting and causing the shut down of a Main Battle tank production of its former enemies if it was designed during the Nazi era.

since a sheet metal life size model (a steel mock up here) my answer,using ....but a steel mock up can start from anywhere

....can show that the japanese anti aircraft gun is based on a european design ...
                          ...what I had in mind;; Hungary here as the answer shows

interesting the Hungarians made the steel mock up for the future but during the war --and used the anti aircraft gun as a main gun same as my American AFV steel mock up possibilty ;
                          and this (the Japanese AA) traces to European to begin with on AA ;
                          The Japanese 3 inch AA gun of WWII was a copy of Vickers earlier AA guns:.particularly the British standard AA gun of 1916; the 3 inch AA with a 12.5lb shell or 16 lb shell
                          And the Americans probably used Vickers 3 inch AA as a beginning also; hence my American mock up with the Japanese AA gun;

THe Hungarians had a superior 80mm AA gun to the Japanese 75mm (which interesting enough the Japanese labeled an 80mm AA weapon also in the inventory,although it really was a 3 inch 75/76mm AA gun)
                          Last edited by webmill2203524; 16 Feb 08, 21:47.

Comment

The 44M TAS Hungarian prototype has a very similar panther type chassis and its turret is also Panther type but with Pz III turret egdes: the Turret front of the 44M is 100mm the same as the Panther turret front, but the 44M has all around turret aromr of 100m whereas the Panther turret is 45mm all around;
                            The closest Soviet tank is the T-43 with its 90mm all around turret armor;
                            How close is the 44M TAS to the Panther chassis: counting the tracks links in the pic in Tom D post I count 37 links across: this in comparison is the same 37 tracks links across as the VK3002 (DB)!
                            The VK 3001 was a direct copy of the T-34 and was designed in 1941;
                            The 44M road wheels, return rollers and tracks heights look to be Hungarian;from either Ganz factory or starting at Manfred Weiss, before being bombed in July by the Allies.
                            The 4M turret is also13 track links across; while the VK 3002 db turret is 16 tracklinks across but including the rear turret overhang. without that overhang, the VK 3002 is also 13 links across;same as the 44M TAS prototype! Thus it can be seen both the VK3002 and the 44M have their turret forward on the chassis, 12 track links away from the front edge of the hull as opposed to the final Panther Ausf D with its centrally located turret in the larger Panther Ausf D chassis. Thus the weight of the 44M must be around 32 tons the same as the first Panther VK3002 Prototype development tank! or Vk 3001 weight.but add the heavier 44M 100mm turret weight difference;the 44M could have intended to increase frontal hull armor at or over 75mm but since its a mock up; it may be a who knows? The T-43 took front hull armor to 110mm;(but was powered by the V-2-34 at 500-550 HP V12);
                            It can be deduced now, I believe, that the Hungarian tank engineers, in 1944 had used German VK3001 and 3002 prototype designs for the 44M TAS chassis in the mock up.

for the 44M leads me to believe it would be only 45mm front armor that the Hungarians could get it to or the Hungarians were going to borrow a more powerful German engine;
                            the intended engine that would be most likely is;
                            the Manfred Wiesz V8 260 hp engine can move only so much frontal armor,which would be 45mm or less,if better mobility is to be kept on the 44M along with a heavy 100mm all around turret armor, in my assessment;
                            thus the 44M TAS was somewhat a desperate haste like tank design by the Hungarian tank engineers while the Axis was losing ever faster the war on the East Front in 1944
                            Last edited by webmill2203524; 17 Feb 08, 01:25.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
                              Berlin.1945
                              by casanova
                              The Sowjet T-34 tank against a German Tiger tank in Berlin in the II World War in 1945. ...
                              Yesterday, 23:41
                            • casanova
                              AW 169M
                              by casanova
                              The Austrian minister of defence Klaudia Tanner declared the buy of 18 Italian military helicopters of the type AW 169M for the Austrian army, the Bundesheer....
                              Yesterday, 23:26
                            • JBark
                              What changed?
                              by JBark
                              There was a time not too long ago when this forum was full of discussion, multiple posts, votes and involved discussions on the best of the war, etc.,...
                              Yesterday, 18:54
                            Working...
                            X