PzKpfw II "Luchs"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PzKpfw II "Luchs"

As much as I like the look of the Luchs, I wonder why it was produced. It seems to me that for reconnaisance purposes, the PzKpfw II A-C would have been adequate. Or, was the A-C version so inadequate that the Luchs was needed?

Another good topic, thanks!!

I'm not sure about this one, I do have a Luchs soft cover book, I will have to look and get back to you on this.

Cheers

Comment

http://www.achtungpanzer.com/pz1.htm#panzer2

If I understand what information found in Achtung Panzer's section on the Pz. II it would seem that the Luchs was simply a heavier armoured, faster varient of the original..Perhaps giving it renewed life on the battlefield. However according to Heinz Guderian in his book Panzer Leader, it was only a stopgap vehicle until the "recon" versions of the Panther and Tiger came online.

Comment

After a quick read last night

4 man crew over 3, much better!! Better suspention system and engine as well, a lot faster and could go farther, somewhat better armor, most main arm the same, a few 50 mm guns included, maybe. But you have the speed and range to compensate, this is a recon machine, as wellas extra armor. Main problem was the lack of numbers, where have we seen that one before, like the whole German Army.....

I will take a Pz II Luchs any day, if I could find one that is!

Cheers

Comment

[QUOTE=TRDG;775163] a few 50 mm guns included, maybe. But you have the speed and range to compensate, this is a recon machine, as well as extra armor. [QUOTE]

I am fairly confident that the intended 50 mm KwK 39/1 version was never produced (see page 36 of Encylopedia of German Tanks of World War Two). Also, while the Luchs has some extra armor, is that much more over that of the PzKpfw II C to make it worth while? That is, even with the extra armor, it's not going to stop much from penetrating it, so why not continue with the II C for reconnaisance and use the factory capability/capacity to build other known AFV's (e.g. Stug) that are more worth while?

Comment

Speed and range maybe?

Add the extra armor in with the better speed and range and I think the Germans thought they had something there, short-term that is. The "50" gun has various yes, no and a few maybe, in my sources. I don't have the one you mentioned, yet!

Cheers

TRDG

Tom

Comment

From "Achtung Panzer" http://www.achtungpanzer.com/pz1.htm

"This light reconnaissance tank saw service until the end of the war on both the Eastern and Western Front with Panzer-Aufklarungs-Abteilungen (armored reconnaissance detachments) of Wehrmacht and Waffen-SS. Reported users include 116th Panzer Division on the Western Front and 3rd, 4th and 6th Panzer Division on the Eastern Front. It is reported that 3rd SS Panzer Division Totenkopf and 5th SS Panzer Division Wiking fighting on the Eastern Front also used Luchs. Vehicles sent to the Eastern Front were mounted with additional frontal armor plate for increase protection. Small number was fitted with additional radio equipment and antennas and served as reconnaissance communication vehicles. Luchs was to be eventually armed with (Luchs 5 cm) 50mm KwK 39 L/60 gun (VK 1602 Leopard) but only variant with 20mm KwK 38 L/55 cannon (with rate of fire 420-480 rounds per minute) was produced. The 20mm cannon was fitted with TZF6 optical sight. It is also reported but not confirmed that 31 Luchs were mounted with an open-top turret armed with 50mm KwK 39 L/60 gun and began arriving to the troops in late 1943. Also plans were made to produce recovery version - Bergepanzer Luchs, but they were never materialized. Along with Bergepanzer Luchs, scale model of Flakpanzer Luchs anti-aircraft tank based on lengthened chassis (VK 1305), armed with either 20mm Flakvierling or 37mm Flak 36 gun, was made but this project was never realized.

Comment

Some good pics: http://www.panzernet.net/panzernet/s...galeriepz2.htm

Comment

Checked that site after...

Could'nt find my 'squadron" pub, so I consulted German Tanks byMichael Green and others. Has anyone heard of that one? A "picture" book for sure, but it had some good (I thought) reading as well.

Cheers

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X