Zimmerit anti-magnetic paste?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zimmerit anti-magnetic paste?

Any clue on how this got started, as in, was there a specific battle or a more general combat feeling from the tankers that something was needed for added protection from what it was trying to prevent?
    It really seems a large amount of time, effort, energy and resources were spent on this from mid war on until 44. It seems that this was done for the Eastern Front specifically, but was also used on some machines in Normandy and after.
    Also will have a thread in the Russian forum on this to get the other sides "take" on this.

Any thoughts here would be more than welcome by me, as well as other threads, sites and books that I could check out to get a better idea here on this.

Thanks

TRDG

This article doesn't really answer your base questions, but it does provide some background technical information.

Comment

http://www.panzerworld.net/zimmerit.html

Another excellent reference.
      If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

Thanks guys!

I'll check them out and get back here for a report! One thing so far from the Russian forum was that they did not ever use magnetic mines, this is huge here for me.

Thanks again

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by TRDG View Post
          I'll check them out and get back here for a report! One thing so far from the Russian forum was that they did not ever use magnetic mines, this is huge here for me.

Thanks again

Cheers
          I thought the Russians had them... The German fear was that Germany used them and that Russia would copy them.
          If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

Fs

Just one post on that site, he knows of a railroad type mine, that is it so far, hopefully others will post more on this over there, as well as here!

Cheers

Comment

Perhaps (this is just a guess ) the reason the Soviets did not develop a magnetic mine is because of the Zimmeri paste. Why would you develop a weapon that you already know can't be used successfully? And by the time the Germans stopped using Zimmerit, the Soviets already had other weapons and tactics that they already knew worked.

Comment

Then that would lead to why the Germans went to zimmerit in the first place, leaving us where we started again, don't you think?

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by TRDG View Post
                  Then that would lead to why the Germans went to zimmerit in the first place, leaving us where we started again, don't you think?

Cheers
                  Not really, I think what Deter... is getting at is:
                  The Germans developed anti-magnetic mines.
                  They thought the Russians would copy them so the Germans developed Zimmerit to counter them.
                  The Russians saw German tanks had zimmerit so decided not to produce them.
                  The Russians found other better ways to destroy German tanks (like dogs!!!!!)
                  The Germans drop zimmerit and equip tanks with dog whistles.

OK, i made the last bit up but you get the point!

Of course, this is all complete guess work.
                  Wolster

Comment

Wolster

So that would be the common idea about zimmerit, right? That one site, of the two, in the earlier post just used an assumed idea that the Russians used magnetic mines before zimmerit was used.

If so, then I understand what is going on here.

Thanks for the posts guys!!

Cheers

Comment

I read somewhere that the decision to stop applying Zimmerit was based on rumors that it would burn when hit, causing the entire vehicle to burn out. After application was ceased, tests were conducted to see if these rumors were true, but it was found that the Zimmerit would not ignite when hit although it contained a large amount of sawdust.

Comment

Yep, I have read that to!

So now we have zimmerit being made for a "hypithetical", from what this thread has gathered so far. And then they discontinue it because of another! It really seems that you could take many things from this as to "German Thinking" on this and maybe more in general.

Thoughts on this anyone......

Cheers

TRDG

Comment

Another perspective:

Production zimmerit was applied only to an AFV's vertical surfaces, and the protection gained was twofold: first, it created a rough surface and consequently reduced the area of contact - this defeated the "sticky bombs"; second, it put distance between the hull and the mine - this defeated magnetic mines. It is important to note that zimmerit possessed no "anti-magnetic" properties of its own, rather it defeated the mines in the previous manners. In mid 1944, however, the application of zimmerit was phased out due to its being rendered obsolete by greatly improved AT weapons. It is interesting and worth noting, that the British were looking into the use of captured stocks of zimmerit for their AFVs in the Pacific, however the war against the Japanese ended before this plan could be implemented.

Comment

So unless...

Every time a Russian tried to kill a zimmerit AFV, they would have to "jump up" on the tank to place ANY kind of mine devise, you might just as well chuck a grenade or whatever in or around the Germans Hatches, a tad more complicated I think, as well as dangerous!! May be a sticky bomb or mine in the wheels or tracks of the beast.....

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Wolster View Post
                              Not really, I think what Deter... is getting at is:
                              The Germans developed anti-magnetic mines.
                              They thought the Russians would copy them so the Germans developed Zimmerit to counter them.
                              The Russians saw German tanks had zimmerit so decided not to produce them.
                              The Russians found other better ways to destroy German tanks (like dogs!!!!!)
                              The Germans drop zimmerit and equip tanks with dog whistles.

OK, i made the last bit up but you get the point!

Of course, this is all complete guess work.
                              Thank you wolster....You put my thoughts into words better than I could have

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X