Worst job-ever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worst job-ever

Dunno if this has been posted, but it's worth a look.

Think your job sucks?

http://www.missing-lynx.com/library/...ne/denmine.htm

Cool link Mike! We cleared unexploded ordinance off of 3 live fire ranges in Yakima, WA. They put the troops at double-arm intervals and walked every range. Us drivers followed behind in cargo HEMTTs to retrieve any UXO the ordinance guys said were safe. Quite the feeling to drive cross-country with a couple 750lb unexploded bombs in the cargo bed.
    Last edited by Freightshaker; 20 Sep 07, 20:13.
    If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

Ditto

Very interesting, I don't usually think of mines, I know they were there and used in WW II, but the clean-up after, nope. That just might be a good topic for the future, or right here and now.

Nice thread!

Cheers

Comment

Very good stuff this, and very interesting photos. I knew from a website that German POWs were used for this work, and off the top of my head about 300 or so were killed. I also have a book I bought in Germany which relates how teeneage artillery crews taken prisoner by US troops were passed on to the French who then used them for this work, despite training or equipment and that over a thousand died. If you want details of the book, please let me know. It has no photos however. I am working on a translation into English when I can find the time but other things keep getting in the way.

Comment

[QUOTE=freightshaker;766259]Cool link Mike! We cleared unexploded ordinance off of 3 live fire ranges in Yakima, WA. ]

You have just scared the crap out of me.
          I had a 305 Honda and rode out to some ranges at Ft Bragg to look at the Shermans and other stuff one weekend.
          They were more holes than metal after years of being shot at.
          I noticed I was amidst piles and piles and piles of duds of all types.
          I got out of there with a pucker factor of about eleven.
          Disturbing that stuff is a big no-no. Every now and then something would go off on an old range being used for other fire. Or some kids would get killed fooling around.
          Glad you lived through your experiece.

Comment

Very interesting, thanks for the link.
            SPORTS FREAK/ PANZERBLITZ COMMANDER/ CC2 COMMANDER

Comment

Originally posted by Trung-si View Post
              Dunno if this has been posted, but it's worth a look.

Think your job sucks?

http://www.missing-lynx.com/library/...ne/denmine.htm
              That would truly suck, but I can't imagine anything worse than having to reclaim and refurbrish knocked-out Allied tanks throughout all of France and Germany in order to get them up and running and back into action with a new crew. Before you ever started to to get them up and running, you had to first remove all of the celestial remains of the former, deceased crewmen still inside, which would mean scraping, peeling and painting-over the veritable "pepperoni pizza" mess that you found when first you entered in.

After that, the repairs to tank, chassis and engine took place. Once the engine was purring back to life, a new crew was assigned, who knew nothing of the sorry bastards who had fought and perhaps, died there before them.
              "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

Comment

In a magazine of the 1920s I ran across a description of a French mine removal device. It was a plough drawn across the ground by cables wound by a gasoline engine. No indication of how well it worked.

When reporting to a new unit we usually had to sit through a safety lecture for auto driving, alcohol, and not touching the ordinance. Photos of those who did would be passed around to drive the point home

Comment

Worst job huh? Check these out:

Comment

Funny, but I don't see anyone getting killed there, but it does lighten it up a bit, compared to the subject at hand.

What are they actually doing anyways??

Comment

Originally posted by TRDG View Post
                      Funny, but I don't see anyone getting killed there, but it does lighten it up a bit, compared to the subject at hand.

What are they actually doing anyways??
                      They're advertisements. If you click on the picture it will bring up a larger pic.

Comment

Got it, thanks for the info!

Cheers

Comment

We used to call in the Pakistani Army Engineers to clear mass gravesites in Rwanda. The first time I did so, I had visions of a unit with minesweepers and other equipment showing up. Much to my sickened surprise these guys showed up with sticks with a long nails in the end. They were formed up in slightly spaced lines and slowly but surely cleared the area manually. The Officers explained that over 90% of the mines there were all plastic and this was the best method. Fortunately none of these brave lads joined the "Fine Red Mist Club" on any of the sites I investigated, but there were several incidences and mines and booby traps were recovered from time to time.

I also drove down a few roads where there was reported mines, to "prove" them for civilian convoys. Seemed like the thing to do, because it needed to be done at the time. In retrospect, I think by that time I wasn't operating with all my oars in the water.

Yes, mine clearing sure does suck!!
                          Eternal War(gaming) Armoured Struggle Car Bob

History does not record anywhere at any time a religion that has any rational basis.
                          Lazarus Long

Draw the blinds on yesterday and it's all so much scarier....
                          David Bowie

Comment

Wow, very interesting, my respect to you there!!

Mines do not get much "coverage" here on this forum, from what I have seen. That might be a good topic, opinions please, or should I just put one up, I have no knowledge of mines at all, but interested none the less....

Cheers

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X