Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Were these successful?

http://www.panzernet.net/panzernet/s...riegoliath.htm

IMO, no. Even machine guns could stop these and the wires were prone to damage. Nice idea but once the opposition knew what these were all about their usefulness declined.
    The Purist

Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

Comment

Some initial successes, but like Purist said once the enemy figured them out, not so much so. However, I believe they also used the Borgward Tracked Vehicle latter in a similar manner but with wireless radio and had more success, as it was at least armoured. If my memory serves me correct, both ideas failing was the fact the operators have to be able to see them to guide them. Units did ask for Tigers for radio guidance units but had to make do with StuG's.

Goes with the old adage "If the enemy is in range so are you!!"

Funny ideas, but not so much now as robotics make this idea a very real battlefield weapon with far more abilities.
      Eternal War(gaming) Armoured Struggle Car Bob

History does not record anywhere at any time a religion that has any rational basis.
      Lazarus Long

Draw the blinds on yesterday and it's all so much scarier....
      David Bowie

Comment

[QUOTE=PzKfwBob;757683]However, I believe they also used the Borgward Tracked Vehicle latter in a similar manner but with wireless radio and had more success, as it was at least armoured. If my memory serves me correct, both ideas failing was the fact the operators have to be able to see them to guide them. Units did ask for Tigers for radio guidance units but had to make do with StuG's. [QUOTE]

Check out: http://wilk.wpk.p.lodz.pl/~whatfor/sdkfz_301_b_iv.htm

Comment

Thanks Tom, Wish I could read Polish, that site and others have interesting stuff not covered elsewhere. It would appear more than just StuG's filled the Guidance Vehicle role, no surprise there. One of the reasons I love this topic in history, more and more information just keeps on surfacing.
          Eternal War(gaming) Armoured Struggle Car Bob

History does not record anywhere at any time a religion that has any rational basis.
          Lazarus Long

Draw the blinds on yesterday and it's all so much scarier....
          David Bowie

Comment

I got to see one of those little guys at the Aberdeen Proving Grounds in Maryland, USA. I was suprised by how small it was. I think they could of had some uses, but in limited areas of combat like night time defense, urban & woody areas were its approaches could of been masked until it was too late, ect. All in all a great idea that wasnt thought out the whole way.
            Last edited by KGPanzerschrecK; 05 Sep 07, 21:56.
            http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...200pixwide.jpg

Kampfgruppe - A Wargaming Clan Since 1998

NorbertSnyderJr.com

Comment

"The Goliath remote-controlled demolition carrier was developed by the Borgward automobile company after the Nazis recovered a similar French vehicle sunk in the Seine.
              An early version was driven by two electric motors and carried a 60-kilogram explosive charge. This was designated the Leichter Ladungsträger (light demolition carrier) SdKfz 302 E-Motor (electric engine) and known as Gerät 67 (Device 67). Between April 1942 and January 1944 Borgward and Zündapp produced 2650 vehicles of this type. However, only a few E-Motor Goliaths ever saw action, as the vehicle was quite expensive at 3000 Reichsmarks. In March 1945 there were still 2527 E-Motor Goliaths waiting for action.
              The E-Motor Goliaths were successfully used at Sevastopol, where they destroyed 36 bunkers and 11 guns.
              Zündapp and Zachertz built a successor to the E-Motor Goliath with a combustion engine. It was designated the Leichter Ladungsträger SdKfz 303 V-Motor. Its first version was SdKfz 303a (Gerät 671), of which 4604 were built between April 1943 and September 1944. The explosive charge had been increased to 75 kg. SdKfz 303a was slightly higher than SdKfz 302 due to an air-intake cowl.
              The later versions of the Goliath were relatively inexpensive at 1000 Reichsmarks.
              Allied troops encountered Goliaths in Anzio, where many of them bogged down in the sand, and later in Normandy. "

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X