Capturing a Village ... ?:-(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capturing a Village ... ?:-(

How can a village be captured ? By surrounding it, by gaining control over the strategic points around it or simply by storming it ?

Mmm ... I need this information for a diorama representing the battle of Mesnil-Adelée (7 August 1944; the farest point of the German 2nd Panzer Division's advance during the counterattack in the Mortain area - Operation Luttich). And I am a bit confused : I read that the Germans captured the village. But what does this mean ? How would it be correct ? By making a diorama representing the sourroundings of the village or the village's ruined streets ?

Btw, if any of you have more information about the German 2nd Panzer Division's activity during the counterattack in the Mortain area, 7 August 1944, please let me know and help me .

This could be open to various opinion, however, once the enemy has withdrawn from the village and your own infantry have occupied it in at least hasty defensive positions, I'd say it's captured. Now if it was never occupied and your forces have passed though, and you control the area around it then it could also be considered captured as well.
    Eternal War(gaming) Armoured Struggle Car Bob

History does not record anywhere at any time a religion that has any rational basis.
    Lazarus Long

Draw the blinds on yesterday and it's all so much scarier....
    David Bowie

Comment

Originally posted by galex View Post
      How can a village be captured ? By surrounding it, by gaining control over the strategic points around it or simply by storming it ?
      I have read of examples of each...although they were all on the Eastern Front.

Comment

I read a book on panzer tactics once and I believe the standard rule is:

1. Surpress enemy with artilery/SPGs.
        2. Armor supports as much as possible from outside the village in the role of assault gun.
        3. Panzergrenediere assault the village. Armor enters village to support grenediere only if necissary.
        4. After village is captured, Panzergrenediere remount and resume the offensive with the tanks or hold the village until infantry catches up.

Naturally it is much more complicated than that but that is the jist of it. I hope that helps with your diorama. Mabey have grenediere and their halftracks sweep the town with tanks covering from outside.
        "Artillery lends dignity to what might otherwise be a vulgar brawl." - Frederick the Great

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
        X