Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tiger 1 vs King Tiger

Hi everyone,

This is my first post on the forum. I'm a bit of a newbie concerning tank history but became interested after working on a documentary this past winter about tank restorations tanking place around the world.

My question concerns the Tiger I and King Tiger tanks. I'm fascinated by the German tank engineering from around this time, but I get confused during my research while reading all these sites. It seems when I think I'm reading about the King Tiger, all of a sudden, the paragraph is talking about the Tiger II and I can't differentiate them both.

What I'm trying to understand is how different the King Tiger was to the Tiger I. I understand that the King Tiger came a few years after the launch of the Tiger I, but was it all that different in terms of features and appearance? I found this paragraph on the Achtung Panzer! site:

The first King Tigers produced, from January to September 1944 were coated with Zimmerit anti-magnetic mine paste, except the three prototypes. Some vehicles produced before June were also fitted with deep fording equipment, but this was mainly for testing purposes. Overall, during production, numerous modifications were made to the vehicles, including: replacement of gaskets and seals, type of tracks used, installation of sockets, installation of additional track links, etc. None of the modifications significantly changed the appearance or performance of the tank.

Am I to understand that this is written in comparison to the Tiger I?

Any help to finally straighten this in my mind would be greatly appreciated. This is an amazing site and I'm really enjoying the topics you guys are putting up.

Well welcome to the board, I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than myself will come along shortly, but here it is:

Tiger I, relaesed in 1942, or 43. It was a traditional German design (no slaoped armor) but it's cross country performance was on par with the Panzer IV. Only 1500 were made because they were so expenesive but they were powerful indeed.

Tiger II also called the King Tiger was really a heavy version of the Panther. It was hard to kill, but easy to bypass and VERY VERY slow. Not a good tank.

Hope that helps.
    How many Allied tanks it would take to destroy a Maus?
    275. Because that's how many shells there are in the Maus. Then it could probably crush some more until it ran out of gas. - Surfinbird

Comment

Both were produced with and without Zimmerit.

King Tiger == Tiger II == Königstiger.

The paragraph you quote describes changes during Tiger II production and has nothing to do with Tiger 1.

The Tiger II was produced in two major variants, though, which had differently shaped turrets , Porsche turret and Henschel turret. Same gun, same hull, mostly the same data, nothing much to see there.

Chassis from Tiger 1, Tiger 1 prototypes and Tiger II were used for various specialty vehicles which confuses the issue somewhat.

Comment

You can on ocassion, see the "King Tiger," "Tiger II," and "Konigstiger" referred to as "Royal Tiger."

Comment

FWIW, both turrets for the Tiger II (aka Pz.Kpfw.Tiger Ausf.B; Tiger I was Pz.Kpfw.Tiger Ausf.E for whatever reason) were designed by Krupp. The early design (installed on the first 47 tanks) was intended for Porsche's failed Tiger II design, and the remainder were topped by the turret intended for Henschel's serially-produced Tiger II.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger_newb View Post
            "Hi everyone, This is my first post on the forum."
            Welcome to the forum, mate!

"It seems when I think I'm reading about the King Tiger, all of a sudden, the paragraph is talking about the Tiger II and I can't differentiate them both.

What I'm trying to understand is how different the King Tiger was to the Tiger I. I understand that the King Tiger came a few years after the launch of the Tiger I, but was it all that different in terms of features and appearance? I found this paragraph on the Achtung Panzer! site:

The first King Tigers produced, from January to September 1944 were coated with Zimmerit anti-magnetic mine paste, except the three prototypes. Some vehicles produced before June were also fitted with deep fording equipment, but this was mainly for testing purposes. Overall, during production, numerous modifications were made to the vehicles, including: replacement of gaskets and seals, type of tracks used, installation of sockets, installation of additional track links, etc. None of the modifications significantly changed the appearance or performance of the tank.

Any help to finally straighten this in my mind would be greatly appreciated. This is an amazing site and I'm really enjoying the topics you guys are putting up."
            Your questions appear to have already mostly been addressed but if you require any further info, please do not hesitate to ask.
            "Chatfield, there seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today!"
            Vice Admiral Beatty to Flag Captain Chatfield; Battle of Jutland, 31 May - 1 June, 1916.

Comment

You guys also forgot to add the "other" numerical designation Pz VIb for the King Tiger as apposed to the Pz VI or Pz VIe for the original Tiger... How confusing can it get???

Comment

Originally posted by deterrumeversor View Post
                You guys also forgot to add the "other" numerical designation Pz VIb for the King Tiger as apposed to the Pz VI or Pz VIe for the original Tiger... How confusing can it get???
                a little more

Panzerkampfwagen VI Tiger Ausf. E
                Sd. Kfz. 181 , is and i think every one will agree is commonly referred to as the "Tiger 1"

Panzerkampfwagen VI Tiger II Ausf. B
                Königstiger / King(Royal)Tiger / Tiger II
                Sd. Kfz. 182 , is referred to as
                the "Tiger 2"

many variants were produced but these were the designations used for the basic "Tanks"
                did your parents have any children that lived numb nuts??

Comment

Originally posted by deterrumeversor View Post
                  It seems like every country's designation system could be confusing to the uninitiated, however. While the Germans were apt to change designations for a certain vehicle over time, the US used the same "Mxx" for different things, and the preceding descriptors were often necessary to avoid this confusion. For example, the weapon mounted in the gun mount M3 in the 75 mm GMC M3 (which was itself based on the half-track personnel carrier M3, which had roots in the scout car M3) was able to fire the same ammo as the 75 mm gun M3 found in the medium tank M3, which was also armed with the same 37 mm gun as the light tank M3.
                  Last edited by DogDodger; 24 Jul 07, 12:01.

Comment

Hi everyone,

This is my first post on the forum. I'm a bit of a newbie concerning tank history but became interested after working on a documentary this past winter about tank restorations tanking place around the world.

My question concerns the Tiger I and King Tiger tanks. I'm fascinated by the German tank engineering from around this time, but I get confused during my research while reading all these sites. It seems when I think I'm reading about the King Tiger, all of a sudden, the paragraph is talking about the Tiger II and I can't differentiate them both.

Any help to finally straighten this in my mind would be greatly appreciated. This is an amazing site and I'm really enjoying the topics you guys are putting up.
                    http://www.tiger-tank.com/
                    above is a great link to the restoration of a Tiger 1 by the Bovington tank museum in the UK . if you are in to tank restoration .

attached are pic,s of tiger 1 and tiger 2 , in order .

welcome aboard mate ....
                    Attached Files
                    did your parents have any children that lived numb nuts??

Comment

It does get confusing past a certain point! But thank you very much for all the great info, everyone. You've definitely answered my questions and I think I've got it all straight.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Karri
                        Prawn heads
                        by Karri
                        How do you cook them? How do you eat them?

So far I've always just twisted them off, and discarded it along with the shells and such, only...
                        Yesterday, 11:40
                      • Jose50
                        Thoughts on the US abandoning NATO
                        by Jose50
                        Now may be a good time for the NATO countries to start beefing up their materiel, personnel and alliances. There is a decided wave here in the US that...
                        Yesterday, 08:41
                      • Von Richter
                        Sagittarius Rising...
                        by Von Richter
                        Just having a re-read of this book after it's stood for donkey's years on the bookshelf. Once again, within the first couple of pages, I'm transported...
                        Yesterday, 01:19
                      Working...
                      X