Hand crank starter on a Tiger Tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hand crank starter on a Tiger Tank

How would you like to be starting your Tiger with a hand crank while Allied Aircraft were attacking? Or a dozen enemy tanks were approaching,

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.

Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post
    How would you like to be starting your Tiger with a hand crank while Allied Aircraft were attacking? Or a dozen enemy tanks were approaching,
    In those situations, I wouldn't like to start any tank with a hand crank.

But it most cases, I probably wouldn't have to. I'd just use the electrical starter. If the batteries were flat or the engine very cold, that may have been a problem, but then it really wouldn't be the tanks fault but rather my own for not keeping the engine warm or the battery charged

Comment

It looks to me like the hand crank is getting a flywheel upto speed. Is that the case?

Comment

that's the only image i found exposing the use of kubelwagen engine to start many types of german tanks, including Tiger I. should be a lot easier!

__________________________________________________ ____
        I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion.
        Alexander the Great

Comment

Originally posted by NoPref View Post
          It looks to me like the hand crank is getting a flywheel upto speed. Is that the case?
          Although I never been in tank, most diesels (My 1980's Peterbulit) had a compression release to hand crank or make it easier on a starter with an almost dead battery system...Diesel is a diesel no matter what surrounds it !!

Comment

While a diesel is a diesel, the Tiger used a gasoline engine.

Comment

Originally posted by NoPref View Post
              definitely..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiger_I
              The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

Comment

It beats push starting it!
                Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.

Comment

Originally posted by DogDodger View Post
                  While a diesel is a diesel, the Tiger used a gasoline engine.
                  For real....?? OOOps...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X