Jagdpanzer IV/70 superstructure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jagdpanzer IV/70 superstructure

The Jagdpanzer IV/70 has a fixed superstructure like other tank destroyers, but is it held in by gravity in a way similar to tank turrets? I've been looking at photos of the IV/70(A) in the Saumur museum, and it doesn't look as though the superstructure is welded onto the body. Check out the attached images of the IV/70(A) in Saumur.
    Attached Files

Originally posted by ocy9 View Post
    The Jagdpanzer IV/70 has a fixed superstructure like other tank destroyers, but is it held in by gravity in a way similar to tank turrets? I've been looking at photos of the IV/70(A) in the Saumur museum, and it doesn't look as though the superstructure is welded onto the body. Check out the attached images of the IV/70(A) in Saumur.
    That doesn't look like a standard JagdPz IV (v or a) ? It does look like a PzIV hull with a different superstructure than normal.

How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
    Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

The Saumur vehicle is a standard Pz.IV/70 (A), chassis no. 120513. The vertical collar between the superstructure and the hull was welded in place. Also, tank turrets are held in place by the turret ring, not by gravity.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
        That doesn't look like a standard JagdPz IV (v or a) ? It does look like a PzIV hull with a different superstructure than normal.
        The vehicle at Saumur is a Panzer IV/70 (A), a spin-off from an attempt to mount the 7,5cm L/70 in the Panzer IV. That did not work, so instead a superstructure like that of the Jagdpanzer IV was mounted on the standard Panzer IV hull. The allowed the use of a more or less unmodified Panzer IV hull, whereas the Jagdpanzer IV hull was modified considerably compared with the Panzer IV hull. IIRC production was about 275 vehicles.

Interestingly, the up-gunned Jagdpanzer IV was renamed to Panzer IV/70 (V) in the summer of 1944, even before production had started.

I'm pretty sure the superstructure was welded on, I have a few not-too sharp photos of the interior that seems to suggest as much.

Comment

Originally posted by cbo View Post
          The vehicle at Saumur is a Panzer IV/70 (A), a spin-off from an attempt to mount the 7,5cm L/70 in the Panzer IV. That did not work, so instead a superstructure like that of the Jagdpanzer IV was mounted on the standard Panzer IV hull. The allowed the use of a more or less unmodified Panzer IV hull, whereas the Jagdpanzer IV hull was modified considerably compared with the Panzer IV hull. IIRC production was about 275 vehicles.

Interestingly, the up-gunned Jagdpanzer IV was renamed to Panzer IV/70 (V) in the summer of 1944, even before production had started.

I'm pretty sure the superstructure was welded on, I have a few not-too sharp photos of the interior that seems to suggest as much.
          Should have checked my own books first before posting .
          Indeed it is a Panzer IV/70(A), 278 built between Aug 44 to Mar 45,on PzIVJ chassis at Nibelungenwerke.

How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
          Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

Originally posted by ocy9 View Post
            The Jagdpanzer IV/70 has a fixed superstructure like other tank destroyers, but is it held in by gravity in a way similar to tank turrets?
            As someone else said earlier, the turret ring does the job of keeping the turret in place.

Now if you were talking about the Bismark or an Iowa-class battleship, then, yes, gravity would have been the thing.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X