Wheeled StuG III's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheeled StuG III's

Does anyone know if the Sturmgeschütz III (StuG III) had provision for mounting tires instead of tracks? Also, were there any versions of the StuG III that came like that from the factory?

I seem to recall something like this while watching a documentary, but my memory is fuzzy.

Nope.
    The only thang like that for the Mk III series was a version with railroad wheels, very small diameter ones, that could be lowered for running on rails.
    It was a little too outlandish even for the Germans, only the 3 prototypes were made.
    Last edited by The Exorcist; 05 Nov 14, 22:32.

Comment

I see. I must have been thinking of some other vehicle. If only I could remember more. Hmm...

Comment

The only thing I've ever heard of that sounds even remotely like that is the seldom used wheel drive mode on Christie style suspensions and the only assault gun I know of that was mounted on a Christie suspension is the SU-122. Never heard of them being run without tracks though or if it was even possible with the increased weight and other changes from the base T-34.

"Artillery lends dignity to what might otherwise be a vulgar brawl." - Frederick the Great

Comment

Originally posted by frisco17 View Post
          The only thing I've ever heard of that sounds even remotely like that is the seldom used wheel drive mode on Christie style suspensions and the only assault gun I know of that was mounted on a Christie suspension is the SU-122. Never heard of them being run without tracks though or if it was even possible with the increased weight and other changes from the base T-34.
          The T-34 no longer had the ability to run without tracks that the Christie prototypes and the BT-series had.

Comment

Is it the Sdkfz254 you're thinking of?

Comment

Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
              Nope.
              The only thang like that for the Mk III series was a version with railroad wheels, very small diameter ones, that could be lowered for running on rails.
              It was a little too outlandish even for the Germans, only the 3 prototypes were made.
              Yeah, if I were stuck to riding the rails, the last thing I would want to be in is a vehicle with an extremely limited traversing gun. You'd either have to be extremely lucky, have extremely stupid enemies, or be able to hit your enemies at a very long range where they might fit within the Stug's gun's limited traverse.

Comment

There were some large Armored Cars that could be put on rail flat cars and armored trains used to mount turrets.

Pruitt
                Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
                  Robi P.
                  by casanova
                  The Austrian soldier Toni P. of the Radetzky barack in Horn Nether Austria was forced by his commander to make an march with his comrades in 3th August...
                  Today, 02:27
                • casanova
                  Beirut
                  by casanova
                  Gigantic explosion in the city of Beirut. 70 people were killed and 2750 men were heavy hurted. The explosion was like atomic bomb. The cause of that...
                  Today, 00:47
                • casanova
                  Nuclear battleheads.
                  by casanova
                  A secret UNO report declares, that North Korea owns already nuclear battleheads for tactical rockets....
                  Yesterday, 23:58
                Working...
                X