No announcement yet.

Running Panther in the UK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Visit the tank museum in Saumur,they have a running konigtiger,it's on the road to the beaches in southern France.
    And the food Is better��
    That rug really tied the room together

Comment

Originally posted by flash View Post
      One small point about Bovington is that in all of my life I have managed to get there once,it really couldn't be located in a more inaccessible part of England.
      To spend a day there I have to have three days spare and two nights accomodation.
      I know it is the spiritual home of armour and all that jazz but if it was moved to somehere in the Midlands they would have many more visitors.
      For that reason I am unwilling to part with my hard earned in order to overhaul an exhibit that I may see once in the next thirty years.
      I agree with your contention that 'Bovington' should be moved to the Midlands. It is only because I used to live in Bristol, an easy day trip away, that I have visited it a number of times.

I suppose that Bovington evolved where it is, is because it is on the edge of Army tank country.

ps. Sebfrench - The trip to 'your' museum would take even longer. OK as part of a week long holiday.

Comment

Originally posted by sebfrench76 View Post
        Visit the tank museum in Saumur,they have a running konigtiger,it's on the road to the beaches in southern France.
        And the food Is better��
        You should work for the French tourist board.
        I visited the Saumur museum a couple of times.
        What do I remember?
        Passage interdit, Photographer interdit, Nix photos.
        Did I listen, did I take notice? Hell no.
        When abroad, behave like the locals.
        Mon colonel, bless his heart, who started collecting the vehicles for posterity shares the surname.
        I know it was a poor excuse for climbing all over his vehicles, but such was allowed at the Bovington museum at the time.

Ed.
        The repetition of affirmations leads to belief. Once that belief becomes a deep conviction, you better wake up and look at the facts.

Comment

Oh yes,I agree with the mountain and mohamed thing but this mohamed can't travel to the mountain as much as he'd like because the mountain is so damn far away.
          If I lived in Wool I'd be there as a volunteer,I'd strip,inspect,make any parts then rebuild the Panther drivetrain for free,unfortunately I don't so I'm not going to pay for it.
          It is supposed to be the National Tank Museum after all.
          Same with Duxford.
          The Panther just will have to wait until you retire and settle on the Jurassic coast. That after all is where all the dinosaurs go.

Ed.
          The repetition of affirmations leads to belief. Once that belief becomes a deep conviction, you better wake up and look at the facts.

Comment

Originally posted by nomis View Post
            Just seen Challenger at Bovington running round and round and round.
            Not this Challenger you didn't: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Challenger_A30
            "Looting would not be tolerated within the Division, unless organised with the knowledge of C.O.'s on a unit basis."
            - 15/19 Hussars War Diary, 18th March 1945

Comment

Panther

No, did n't see that one, but only 200 built and does n't seem to have been such an important part of world history.

Did see the Cromwell running however, which it was based upon, and did perform rather more.

SF.

Comment

Originally posted by dutched View Post
                The Panther just will have to wait until you retire and settle on the Jurassic coast. That after all is where all the dinosaurs go.

Ed.
                Ha,yes.
                But seriously,a national museum of anything,on the South Coast?
                Perhaps they should have put the tank museum where they were all built?
                Same with the RN museum.
                I have a problem with it,they are all supposed to represent the British nation yet are tucked away closer to France than the majority of the UK?
                One can quote such things as "Bovington is the spiritual home of tanks" and "Portsmouth the spiritual home of the navy", but as long as these views prevail,visitor numbers will remain much lower than they ought to be.
                One could argue that Liverpool is a far better place to have the national RN museum seeing as it actually served as HQ Western approaches and served a far more active role than Portsmouth did, and of course it is much more accessible to the bulk of UK citizenry than a far away port on the South Coast,to get to which one has to traverse the modern day nightmare that is London.

Comment

Ha,yes.
                  But seriously,a national museum of anything,on the South Coast?
                  Perhaps they should have put the tank museum where they were all built?
                  Same with the RN museum.
                  I have a problem with it,they are all supposed to represent the British nation yet are tucked away closer to France than the majority of the UK?
                  One can quote such things as "Bovington is the spiritual home of tanks" and "Portsmouth the spiritual home of the navy", but as long as these views prevail,visitor numbers will remain much lower than they ought to be.
                  One could argue that Liverpool is a far better place to have the national RN museum seeing as it actually served as HQ Western approaches and served a far more active role than Portsmouth did, and of course it is much more accessible to the bulk of UK citizenry than a far away port on the South Coast,to get to which one has to traverse the modern day nightmare that is London.
                  I love to disagree for obvious reasons. The South Coast economy is highly dependent on the Tourism and Leisure Industry. We boast a beautiful country side and a quirkiness of attractive little villages and hamlets. I live here by choice. I decided that the quality of living here is worth more than a bigger pay packet elsewhere. All things located on the South Coast are adding to that experience. The small scale approach, the lack of massive crowds make all the experiences so much more enjoyable. I am in two minds about the accessibility of the South. On the one hand a better infrastructure seems desirable to move more people in and out of the area quickly, but on the other hand the restriction of flow has protected and conserved the area to become what it is now. Bovington Camp and the Lulworth ranges are part of that. I empathise with you for not having what we have, but you are welcome to share what we have, but you have to come over here.

Ed.

Comment

Originally posted by dutched View Post
                    I love to disagree for obvious reasons. The South Coast economy is highly dependent on the Tourism and Leisure Industry. We boast a beautiful country side and a quirkiness of attractive little villages and hamlets. I live here by choice. I decided that the quality of living here is worth more than a bigger pay packet elsewhere. All things located on the South Coast are adding to that experience. The small scale approach, the lack of massive crowds make all the experiences so much more enjoyable. I am in two minds about the accessibility of the South. On the one hand a better infrastructure seems desirable to move more people in and out of the area quickly, but on the other hand the restriction of flow has protected and conserved the area to become what it is now. Bovington Camp and the Lulworth ranges are part of that. I empathise with you for not having what we have, but you are welcome to share what we have, but you have to come over here.

Ed.
                    I agree,the South Coast is nice, so is Switzerland,perhaps we should re-locate out national museums there?

Comment

Has anyone have any info. Like inventory, prices etc. on the auction they had this past week in the Bay Area? I saw a number of tanks from WW2, Panzer IV, Stug III, PACís, T34, Matilda, Sherman, 2 Stuarts

Comment

PzIV didn't meet reserve at $1.75million, M4A2(76)HVSS went for $300,000 while the SdKfz 7 sold for $1,050,000.

Comment

Running Panther

I know this will be dumped on from a great height by specific individuals who always like the sound of their own voice.....................but has anyone remembered the question asked that started this thread.

I still fail to understand why threads always get high-jacked by others who wish to discuss totally unrelated subjects. Happens an awful lot on this website.
                          Start another effing thread, you dunb mothers !

S.

Comment

Originally posted by Delta One View Post
                            Has anyone have any info. Like inventory, prices etc. on the auction they had this past week in the Bay Area? I saw a number of tanks from WW2, Panzer IV, Stug III, PACís, T34, Matilda, Sherman, 2 Stuarts
                            A partial list copied and pasted from a post on TankNet on 15 July:

-Panzer Mk IV: High Bid = $1,750,000 (still for sale)

-M4A3E2 Jumbo: High Bid = $800,000 (still for sale)

-M4A2 (76mm/HVSS): Sold = $345,000

-SCUD-A (Tracked TEL): Sold = $345,000

-M5 Stuart: Sold = $310,000

-M4A3 (75mm): Sold = $299,000

-M50 Israeli Sherman: Sold = $293,250

-Conqueror: Sold = $287,500

-M3A5 Grant: Sold = $276,000

-Leo 1A1A4: Sold = $198,950

-PT-76B: Sold = $172,500

-Chieftain Mk11 (w/dozer blade): Sold = $149,500

-FLAK 36 88mm: Sold = $126,500

-2S7 203mm SP: Sold = $92,000