Running Panther in the UK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running Panther in the UK

Apology in advance if this is out of turn, but not using twitter, etc I don't know where else to ask the question.

The Panther at Bovington is fully operational, but requires 'servicing' for want of a better way to put it, before they will run it.
    As a charity they rely on the likes of us , with an interest, to keep going and to improve their exhibits.

I have it on very good authority that if they could inject 20,000 at this tank it would become a running exhibit.

Now that's a lot for one person, but if the same number of us that bought premium tickets to Tiger Day paid 200 each, we could share in making this a reality.

I am simply asking, if I donate the last two hundred, will the other ninety nine of you send a cheque to Bovington.
    The rewards would be well worth the investment, and I would imagine a ride would also be in order.

Any interest in this then please let me know. I have no connection with the museum, but a Tiger and Panther running.........now that's a site I want to see.
    If 99 are prepared to sign up then it's a go'er. If not then it's a shame.

Regards, SF.

Will they use the original type of final drives?

Comment

Running Panther

As I understand it, the tank is in complete order.

As it has not been run for so long they need to strip and inspect throughout before running.
      The feeling is that to run it without going through that procedure would be asking for trouble and raises the risk of damaging vital parts.

A little caution now, to avoid a lot of pain later.

SF.

Comment

It's one of the Panthers (& Jagdpanthers) built under directions of the REME, after the factory was captured, so "low mileage". The final drives probably wouldn't be under much strain, as it'd be run with no ammunition load and little fuel in its tanks. The all up weight would be a good 10 tonnes less than its combat weight. I think the 20K for a return to running condition maybe optimistic.

Comment

Running Panther

You may consider 20K as optimistic, but I have it from the horse's mouth.

The horse's mouth is an impeccable authority and knows far better than any of us.

As I originally said, I am simply asking if people with a common enthusiasm and interest are interested in injecting a relatively small amount of cash into getting a Panther running in the UK on a regular basis.

If I could afford it I'd pay for it myself, but that's not a reality. What is a reality is achieving the same goal by fellow enthusiasts clubbing together.

I will pay 200, the rest is up to you, IF you want to see this in your lifetime.
          Reading books is great, but seeing, hearing, smelling and feeling these monsters pass by is an amazing experience.
          We have the opportunity to add an iconic Panther to the legendary Tiger here in Britain.

Can't really put it any clearer than that. But, if you are n't that bothered, then that's fine too. Just let me know.

Regards , Simon.

Comment

They have so much interesting stuff at Bovington, so why throw money at the Panther? There are several running Panthers around the world which are WWII production and possible have combat history as well. I'd much rather see some of the British machines at Bovington being brought back to life.

Comment

Running Panther.

That's fine, British armour is good too.

If you don't understand the desire to have the Panther working, I'm not going to try and convince you, or change your views.

All I will say is that this is a very rare opportunity to have a fully complete WW2 tank brought into full working condition with minimal input required.
              How many other examples are there of a piece such as this that don't need major time,work and expense dedicated to them.

From the [ lack ] of response to-date, I can only conclude that no one else can see my logic in 'many hands make light work' attitude towards achieving a positive result with this vehicle.
              You are obviously all content to see it sat in the museum as a static display.

No worries. As I said at the start, it was just a question to see if there is any appetite for the idea. Clearly not.

SF.

Comment

Originally posted by Pzkpfw-e View Post
                It's one of the Panthers (& Jagdpanthers) built under directions of the REME, after the factory was captured, so "low mileage". The final drives probably wouldn't be under much strain, as it'd be run with no ammunition load and little fuel in its tanks. The all up weight would be a good 10 tonnes less than its combat weight. I think the 20K for a return to running condition maybe optimistic.
                I was thinking about something... When old tanks etc gets restored to be driveable, how important is it that everything really is original?

Let's imagine a museum has a tank that was somehow very flawed and extremely sensitive to breaking down... Couldn't they just put in some modern tech to replace the most sensitive parts? That way it might be able to be driven harder and they could show off the agility of it, the way it would be driven if it was in combat.

The tank would still look the same, and sound the same... I guess those two are the most important things when it comes to enjoying the sight and sounds of moving old restored vechicles of all kinds.

So with the Panther, would they rather have a 100% true Panther, or would they put in modern or maybe the Jagdpanther final drives?

It would be nice if all old tanks could be driven harder then they do. I'd love to see their agility.

Comment

Running Panther in the UK

Just reviving this as it's been a while.

Must say I was surprised, especially given the interest in Panther generally, that there seems to be little appetite to have a running tank with relatively little individual input required.

We all know what it's like to stand next to a running vehicle, even ride in them, as apposed to simply discussing them and reading books, or making models.

It does seem a shame that , given this example would be available to everyone, many hands can't organise themselves into seeing the bigger picture and collectively see this through to completion.

I stand by my original message, and am prepared to contribute myself, as I have on other matters.

SF.

Comment

Originally posted by cbo View Post
                    They have so much interesting stuff at Bovington, so why throw money at the Panther? There are several running Panthers around the world which are WWII production and possible have combat history as well. I'd much rather see some of the British machines at Bovington being brought back to life.
                    Yeah, they've had an A30 Challenger out rusting in the open for over a decade.

I'd rather see that running than a bleedin' Panther.
                    "Looting would not be tolerated within the Division, unless organised with the knowledge of C.O.'s on a unit basis."
                    - 15/19 Hussars War Diary, 18th March 1945

Comment

Originally posted by nomis View Post

Must say I was surprised, especially given the interest in Panther generally, that there seems to be little appetite to have a running tank with relatively little individual input required.

We all know what it's like to stand next to a running vehicle, even ride in them, as apposed to simply discussing them and reading books, or making models.

It does seem a shame that , given this example would be available to everyone, many hands can't organise themselves into seeing the bigger picture and collectively see this through to completion.

I stand by my original message, and am prepared to contribute myself, as I have on other matters.

SF.
                      If it was as easy as you say.............................., but there are so many other vehicles in their collection equally worthy of full restoration.

Ed.
                      The repetition of affirmations leads to belief. Once that belief becomes a deep conviction, you better wake up and look at the facts.

Comment

Originally posted by nomis View Post

SF.
                        One small point about Bovington is that in all of my life I have managed to get there once,it really couldn't be located in a more inaccessible part of England.
                        To spend a day there I have to have three days spare and two nights accomodation.
                        I know it is the spiritual home of armour and all that jazz but if it was moved to somehere in the Midlands they would have many more visitors.
                        For that reason I am unwilling to part with my hard earned in order to overhaul an exhibit that I may see once in the next thirty years.

Comment

Originally posted by flash View Post
                          One small point about Bovington is that in all of my life I have managed to get there once,it really couldn't be located in a more inaccessible part of England.
                          To spend a day there I have to have three days spare and two nights accomodation.
                          I know it is the spiritual home of armour and all that jazz but if it was moved to somehere in the Midlands they would have many more visitors.
                          For that reason I am unwilling to part with my hard earned in order to overhaul an exhibit that I may see once in the next thirty years.
                          Even if you did you had to wait for the open day. As for he other: If the mountain does not want to come to Mohammad, then Mohammad just will have to come to the mountain. The collection is just fine where it is in my humble opinion. The best grockels are those that stay at home

Ed.
                          The repetition of affirmations leads to belief. Once that belief becomes a deep conviction, you better wake up and look at the facts.

Comment

Running Panther in UK

Just seen Challenger at Bovington running round and round and round.

For me, it's not yet an important part of history.

Also, just to clarify, Panther does not need ' restoring ' , it simply needs some inspection/work due to being sat in a museum for some years. Hence the cost.
                            Restoration would be mega-bucks, as we all know.

Was good to see Tiger, Hetzer, 251 halftrack, Comet, etc , plus the modern army tracked vehicles today.

SF.

Comment

Originally posted by dutched View Post
                              Even if you did you had to wait for the open day. As for he other: If the mountain does not want to come to Mohammad, then Mohammad just will have to come to the mountain. The collection is just fine where it is in my humble opinion. The best grockels are those that stay at home

Ed.
                              Oh yes,I agree with the mountain and mohamed thing but this mohamed can't travel to the mountain as much as he'd like because the mountain is so damn far away.
                              If I lived in Wool I'd be there as a volunteer,I'd strip,inspect,make any parts then rebuild the Panther drivetrain for free,unfortunately I don't so I'm not going to pay for it.
                              It is supposed to be the National Tank Museum after all.
                              Same with Duxford.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X