Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Most battle damaged Tiger photo ever

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Most battle damaged Tiger photo ever

    Looking for a photo, that shows a running Tiger tank, that made it back to its base from the front lines, and the hits all over it and damage was pretty extensive...but I cannot find the book that I saw it in. Can anyone help on this one? I know its on the russian front if that helps any.

    I would know it if I seen it...

    Thanks
    ...Its one of our V-8's...Pursuit Special on methane, super hot!

  • #2
    Originally posted by Hetzer 15 View Post
    Looking for a photo, that shows a running Tiger tank, that made it back to its base from the front lines, and the hits all over it and damage was pretty extensive...but I cannot find the book that I saw it in. Can anyone help on this one? I know its on the russian front if that helps any.

    I would know it if I seen it...

    Thanks
    Would this be a Tiger 1 which iirc was hit 227 times & run over 3 land mines in
    Russia http://books.google.co.uk/books/abou...AJ&redir_esc=y think its in this book
    IT

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by irishtiger View Post
      Would this be a Tiger 1 which iirc was hit 227 times & run over 3 land mines in
      Russia http://books.google.co.uk/books/abou...AJ&redir_esc=y think its in this book
      IT
      Anyone someone could post the picture please.

      Thanks.
      ...Its one of our V-8's...Pursuit Special on methane, super hot!

      Comment


      • #4
        Is this the one?

        "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
        Ernest Hemingway.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Achtung Baby View Post
          Is this the one?

          Looks very like it

          IT

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by irishtiger View Post
            Looks very like it

            IT
            That looks abandoned to me,I have two reasons; There is no bow MG fitted and if it had recently returned from the fight it would be swarming with crew and mechanics attempting to turn it round.
            It's certainly been in a fight though,hasn't it. No trackguards at all and numerous strikes.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by flash View Post
              That looks abandoned to me,I have two reasons; There is no bow MG fitted and if it had recently returned from the fight it would be swarming with crew and mechanics attempting to turn it round.
              It's certainly been in a fight though,hasn't it. No trackguards at all and numerous strikes.
              No its not abandoned,,,This is Tiger No.121 from the 503 Feldherrnhalle with 250 impacts Tiger 141 suffered the same fate. Also it has transport tracks fitted
              IT

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by irishtiger View Post
                No its not abandoned,,,This is Tiger No.121 from the 503 Feldherrnhalle with 250 impacts Tiger 141 suffered the same fate. Also it has transport tracks fitted
                IT
                OOOPS,so it has! Why was it in combat with them on?
                Did the Sovs overrun the railhead?
                What's the story behind it?
                How did it come to be hit so many times?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by flash View Post
                  OOOPS,so it has! Why was it in combat with them on?
                  Did the Sovs overrun the railhead?
                  What's the story behind it?
                  How did it come to be hit so many times?
                  That's the one! I would interested to know the answers to these questions there as well...

                  Transport tracks on it is weird.

                  Preparing for transport back to Germany?
                  ...Its one of our V-8's...Pursuit Special on methane, super hot!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    For a moment i thought that is a cheese... Not tank...
                    "Give me 100 000 croatian soldiers and I will conqure all world" - Napoleon Bonaparte

                    Soldiers are coming and leaving while war will never end.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Hetzer 15 View Post
                      That's the one! I would interested to know the answers to these questions there as well...

                      Transport tracks on it is weird.

                      Preparing for transport back to Germany?
                      Could well be,or at least a base repair unit.I'm sure that as the vehicle was struck hundreds of times,the fighting tracks would have suffered some damage too.The absence of crew and mechanics is a puzzle.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Planet Earth calling...........

                        See this thread for the real story:

                        http://www.network54.com/Forum/47207...a+Tiger+1+take



                        The vast majority of the hits are the small anti-tank rifle used by the Soviets.
                        The tank could do nothing more than waddle. The gun was disabled and it could not fight back. In every sense of the word the Tiger was 'knocked out' and had to be sent back to Germany for a complete factory rebuild
                        Last edited by m kenny; 26 Jan 13, 12:56.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Now, now Michael... you know the fanboys don't appreciate one of your reality checks when they're having a communal whack off over Tiggy!!!

                          Wittmann_Tiger_007.jpg

                          The long toll of the brave
                          Is not lost in darkness
                          Over the fruitful earth
                          And athwart the seas
                          Hath passed the light of noble deeds
                          Unquenchable forever.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I've heard of that Tiger. Something about a huge number of soviet At rifle and AT gun hits. The point of 'the story' was to reassure Tiger crews that their weapon could protect their lives under fire, and make them more bold in action.

                            This was, however, in the winter of 1943, and the weapons that were fired on the Tiger were too small and too weak to penetrate it. Against 85mm guns or greater, there would be no such story.
                            Zhitomir-Berdichev, West of Kiev: 24 Dec 1943-31 Jan 1944
                            Stalin's Favorite: The Combat History of the 2nd Guards Tank Army
                            Barbarossa Derailed I & II
                            Battle of Kalinin October 1941

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by m kenny View Post
                              Planet Earth calling...........

                              See this thread for the real story:

                              http://www.network54.com/Forum/47207...a+Tiger+1+take



                              The vast majority of the hits are the small anti-tank rifle used by the Soviets.
                              The tank could do nothing more than waddle. The gun was disabled and it could not fight back. In every sense of the word the Tiger was 'knocked out' and had to be sent back to Germany for a complete factory rebuild
                              But it still waddled back to its own lines M
                              Under its own power!!!
                              IT

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X