Starting a Tiger with a hand-crank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting a Tiger with a hand-crank

I didn't think it was possible, or safe, but they pulled it off very well.

I would not have a problem with them using new sheet metal to replace the Muffler covers and other banged-up items on the back of that tank. It's in a museum, but still...

And, I'd get a new driver, that trany isn't going to last long with that guy popping the clutch like that.

I think you'll find them bits of tank you want replacing are still there because the said bits got 'banged up' in WW2. There's also a big gouge in the mantlet, they've neglected to fill with green stuff.

Last edited by Von Richter; 04 Sep 12, 04:46.
    The long toll of the brave
    Is not lost in darkness
    Over the fruitful earth
    And athwart the seas
    Hath passed the light of noble deeds
    Unquenchable forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Exorcist View Post

Looks like the two guys in yellow vests shared your concerns.
      Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Saumur's Tiger 2 being handcranked.
        Last edited by RichardS; 04 Sep 12, 04:49. Reason: Fixing you tube video.

Comment

Those are called 'Armstrong Starters' for a very good reason.
          Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

It appears to have been done often enough - when necessary - during the war, and not too much thought of it.
            "Chatfield, there seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today!"
            Vice Admiral Beatty to Flag Captain Chatfield; Battle of Jutland, 31 May - 1 June, 1916.

Comment

Originally posted by panther3485 View Post
              It appears to have been done often enough - when necessary - during the war, and not too much thought of it.
              I'm probably not the one that should answer this question as of my most basic knowledge about tank engines but to invite others I would say that the hand crank is only used when the engine has been cold for a while and the drive shaft and cylinders need some serious greasing. Don't know the T2 engine but it could also be that the battery needs an additional dose (or saving power using the crank). Once engine is hot and going, like in the field, you should be able to start it from the inside.

/Pappy
              "Charley Dont´t Surf."

Comment

Originally posted by Pappy View Post
                I'm probably not the one that should answer this question as of my most basic knowledge about tank engines but to invite others I would say that the hand crank is only used when the engine has been cold for a while and the drive shaft and cylinders need some serious greasing. Don't know the T2 engine but it could also be that the battery needs an additional dose (or saving power using the crank). Once engine is hot and going, like in the field, you should be able to start it from the inside.

/Pappy
                Yep; normally a crew would expect to use the electric start under good conditions but the hand-crank was always there if needed.
                Vice Admiral Beatty to Flag Captain Chatfield; Battle of Jutland, 31 May - 1 June, 1916.

Comment

Did they pull a compression release to warm up the cylinders? Or was it a spring type wind up?

Comment

never mind I found this it is a great piece
                    http://www.alanhamby.com/maybach.shtml

Comment

Originally posted by panther3485 View Post
                      Yep; normally a crew would expect to use the electric start under good conditions but the hand-crank was always there if needed.
                      Hmmm... I wonder if any tanks in modern Tanks have that option?

China, maybe, but nobody else comes to mind.

Comment

Hmmm... I wonder if any tanks in modern Tanks have that option?

China, maybe, but nobody else comes to mind.
                        Hand cranking in general (trucks, cars etc) has I think disappeared mainly because of the improved mechanical and electrical reliability of modern vehicles. I would expect it has disappeared from tanks for similar reasons. Heck, even the majority of motorcycles these days (except the very smallest ones) are not kick-started any more, now we have the "electric leg".

Comment

Besides that ya ever try to hand crank a diesel ? Me either and I wouldn't want to
                          It would be like trying to kick start a steam engine, futile
                          In sincerity the modern vehicles are very reliable and recovery is now an art form as well as the fact that ease of production compared to wwII has probably made it inefficient to worry about the odd broken small vehicle. But China is probab;ly the exception

Comment

Originally posted by Brumbear View Post
                            Besides that ya ever try to hand crank a diesel ? Me either and I wouldn't want to
                            It would be like trying to kick start a steam engine, futile
                            In sincerity the modern vehicles are very reliable and recovery is now an art form as well as the fact that ease of production compared to wwII has probably made it inefficient to worry about the odd broken small vehicle. But China is probab;ly the exception
                            Yes, I was thinking of petrol (gasoline) engined vehicles primarily and no, I wouldn't like to try to hand-crank a diesel.

... the main point being, modern vehicles in general are much more reliable than those of the WW2 era.

Comment

I would not have a problem with them using new sheet metal to replace the Muffler covers and other banged-up items on the back of that tank. It's in a museum, but still...

And, I'd get a new driver, that trany isn't going to last long with that guy popping the clutch like that.
                              Just judging by the movements, I think he was cranking a flywheel or some sort of compressor which then drove the motor.

I don't think the driver intentionally tried to "drop a patch". From the soundtrack, I thought the gears got stuck and it wouldn't shift properly - they had a pre-selector box and it may need a bit of TLC, or a bigger hammer.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X