Tanks burning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tanks burning

What was the cause of most tank fires, fuel or ammunition? The cause of most injuries to crews, ammunition or fuel fires?

If a fire started in the engine compartment I would think the crew had a good chance of getting out other than enemy troops trying to shoot them.

Ammunition fires I would guess would be more likely to kill or injure crews since they would occur in the same compartment as the crew. If the propellant of a main gun round went off it would be devastating in a fighting compartment.

I am finishing reading " American Knights: The Untold Story of the Men of the Legendary 601st Tank Destroyer Battalion". It isa very good book btw.

For most of the war the 601st had the diesel powered model of the M10 tank destroyer. Towards the end of the war they switched over to the M36 tank destroyer with a gas engine. The author commented that in the period the 601st had the gas powered M36 the battalion suffered an increase in the number crew members killed or injured in fires. He attributed it to the gas engines.

I wonder if it could be due to the ammunition being carried in a different way between the M10 and M36.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" Beatrice Evelyn Hall
    Updated for the 21st century... except if you are criticizing islam, that scares the $hii+e out of me!

Molotov cocktails were used to hit the engine air intakes (what's the word for that?) during Winter War. The engine would suck the fire in and ignite the whole engine on fire. When engaged by anti-tank guns and such, I would expect ammunition fires (explosions really) to be more common.
    Wisdom is personal

Comment

Originally posted by Karri View Post

When engaged by anti-tank guns and such, I would expect ammunition fires (explosions really) to be more common.
      That's what I would expect also. Most times it would be rare to get a rear shot.
      "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" Beatrice Evelyn Hall
      Updated for the 21st century... except if you are criticizing islam, that scares the $hii+e out of me!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
      X