Armor crew training

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Armor crew training

When crew members went through armored crew training would they be trained on all positions. E.G. driver, gunner, loader and commander. Also assistant driver / hull gunner / radio operator dependent on nation.
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" Beatrice Evelyn Hall
    Updated for the 21st century... except if you are criticizing islam, that scares the $hii+e out of me!

A lot depends on what the replacement situation was for each army. I would imagine that Loading was the easiest. Tank Commander required one person to do several things at one time. In the Winter of 44 the Repple Depples were sending people to the front without prior training. The Drivers learned by driving to the Front. Not many survived.

The US was basing Replacement Training on the losses in North Africa. The rates had gone up since!

Pruitt
    Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

I remember reading an interview with a gunner of a Tiger tank and he said that each and every one of them were trained to do each others jobs. Being the loader was however the "rookie" position, as that was often the job that newly trained crew members had to start with. The jobs that required the most skill were the driver and the gunner.

It was important for them to be able to do each others jobs, because sometimes a member of one crew would be switched temporarily to another tank. It also enabled them to sleep, as according to their orders, they had to be ready for duty every hour of the day, so the only way to be able to sleep was to switch spot with the radio operator - the least busiest person in the tank - and that way they could maybe get a few hours of sleep, if they were lucky.

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
        A lot depends on what the replacement situation was for each army. I would imagine that Loading was the easiest. Tank Commander required one person to do several things at one time. In the Winter of 44 the Repple Depples were sending people to the front without prior training. The Drivers learned by driving to the Front. Not many survived.

The US was basing Replacement Training on the losses in North Africa. The rates had gone up since!

Pruitt
        I'm thinking about men who had actually went through formal armor school.
        "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" Beatrice Evelyn Hall
        Updated for the 21st century... except if you are criticizing islam, that scares the $hii+e out of me!

Comment

Take a look:
          https://forum.axishistory.com/viewto...7237&p=2250802
          So, gunners, gun loaders and radio operators went through some short driving practice.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X