Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

From the Vault: Anti-Armor Defense Data Study (A2D2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From the Vault: Anti-Armor Defense Data Study (A2D2)

May be of interest to some.

From the Vault: Anti-Armor Defense Data Study (A2D2)

Today we present a very interesting group of documents called the Anti-Armor Defense Data Study (A2D2). This report was put together in the early 90’s and examines instances from World War II of US anti-tank units fighting against German armored attacks. There are five separate documents, one of which is a “how to research” guide and the others are labeled Volume I-IV. Volume I is titled “Technical Report” and primarily deals with methodology, sources and appendices. Volume II, III and IV are more interesting, for they include the meat of the report. Each volume examines a particular battle, providing detailed descriptions of the actions that took place. Volume II looks at the US anti-tank defense in Mortain France in August 1944. Volume III focuses on US anti-tank operations at Dom Butgenbach, Belgium in December of 44 and volume IV looks at Krinkelt-Rochrath, Belgium in December of 44.

Looks like some interesting "light reading".

From the Battle of Mortain section that 4 German panzer divisions had at most 190 tanks! That's less than a U.S. Armored Division would have!

I enjoy reading about the allied anti-tank units. Especially the units with the 6 pounder anti-tank gun and the U.S. version of this British weapon the 57 mm anti-tank gun. For the U.S. the 57mm was far and away the most common anti-tank gun at the end of the war. I hope they are well covered in this study.
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" Beatrice Evelyn Hall
    Updated for the 21st century... except if you are criticizing islam, that scares the $hii+e out of me!

Comment

Great information in all these reports.

Over 100 pages covering each battle. Much of that is charts. And a lot of the written part can be skipped as it is not important to the narrative.

I found it interesting how effective the bazookas were. The few times the rifle grenades were used they seem to be ineffective.

A fairly high proportion of the actual German tanks, not self propelled guns such as the stug, were Panthers in the battles covered. Close to 50% in the latter battles. And of course there were plenty of self propelled guns in use by the Germans in these actions. I didn't see any reports of Tigers.

If your interested in this type of action these reports are worth your time.
      "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" Beatrice Evelyn Hall
      Updated for the 21st century... except if you are criticizing islam, that scares the $hii+e out of me!

Comment

These are some very interesting articles that Carpe Diem posted.

I'd like to have some other people read them and comment.

One of the things I found interesting was how many tanks were disabled by artillery barrages.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
        X