Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's this Tank

Hi

Looks like an M2 but the turret seems wrong? Maybe an OP variant?

Info appreciated
    Attached Files
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." Churchill

"I'm no reactionary.Christ on the Mountain! I'm as idealistic as Hell" Eisenhower

Interesting. You're right, the turret seems really odd.
    Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

M2A1?
      Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Do you know where this tank is? Might offer a clue.
        Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
        Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

My first impression is that it an M3 light tank with the turret facing arse to front.
          Last edited by dutched; 05 Jan 16, 13:41.
          The repetition of affirmations leads to belief. Once that belief becomes a deep conviction, you better wake up and look at the facts.

Comment

Originally posted by dutched View Post
            My first impression is that it a an M3 light tank with the turret facing arse to front.
            That fits.

The hull appears to be a M-2 or early M-3, but the turret is throwing me.
            Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Hi

I don't know for certain where the tank is, other than maybe the Far East given its surroundings.

It would be unusual for a display tank to have its gun facing rearward, but I suppose it's a possibility.

Regards

Andy H
              "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." Churchill

"I'm no reactionary.Christ on the Mountain! I'm as idealistic as Hell" Eisenhower

Comment

Originally posted by Andy H View Post
                Hi

Looks like an M2 but the turret seems wrong? Maybe an OP variant?

Info appreciated
                Looks like a standard welded US Light Tank M3 hull with protectoscope flaps for the driver and radiooperator.
                The turret seems to be a standard rounded US Light Tank M3 turret turned towards the rear, mounting for the anti-aircraft MG on the right and antenna bracket turned towards the rear. The AA-MG mount seems to be mounted a bit low and the cupola appears to be missing.

Comment

I'd say dutched is right in that it's an M3A1 with the turret reversed. Here's another example.

Edited to add: The light tank M2 did not have the trailing idler wheel.
                  Last edited by DogDodger; 05 Jan 16, 13:42.

Comment

Hi

The tank is on display in Lucknow, India I'm informed

Regards

Andy H
                    Last edited by Andy H; 05 Jan 16, 14:43.

Comment

Maybe it's similar to this Marine flame-thrower version from Saipan with the turret turned?

Could explain why can't see the gun barrel. Or did they have command versions with the gun removed?

Comment

Nothing unusual, Just that the turret has been traversed to the right.

Paul
                        ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
                        All human ills he can subdue,
                        Or with a bauble or medal
                        Can win mans heart for you;
                        And many a blessing know to stew
                        To make a megloamaniac bright;
                        Give honour to the dainty Corse,
                        The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

Originally posted by DogDodger View Post
                          I'd say dutched is right in that it's an M3A1 with the turret reversed. Here's another example.

Edited to add: The light tank M2 did not have the trailing idler wheel.
                          Agreed.

Scott Fraser
                          Ignorance is not the lack of knowledge. It is the refusal to learn.

A contentedly cantankerous old fart

Comment

It's an M3A1 (note the welded sponsons and the riveted angle plate on the side viewport)
                            BoRG
                            "... and that was the last time they called me Freakboy Moses"

Comment

So which model is this? And where is it?
                              Attached Files
                              Hyperwar: World War II on the World Wide Web
                              Hyperwar, Whats New
                              World War II Resources
                              The best place in the world to "work".

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X