Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best looking plane of WW2

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #76
    Originally posted by MarkV View Post

    Which version of the P-40? the crappy early ones or the just about mediocre later ones?. The look changed quite a lot.
    Maybe this version...


    Comment


    • #77
      Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post

      Didn't say it had to see service, just that it existed during WW 2.
      Only one prototype which was destroyed by an engine fire...never saw service at all. Doesn't qualify as WWII fighter in my book, any more than any other never-got-off-the-drawing-board aircraft conceived of by any of the combatants.

      Might as well thumb through the Luftwaffe wish list while we're at it and pick on of their never-made-its, like the Go 229 or the Do335.
      Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

      Comment


      • #78
        Originally posted by Leftie View Post
        Macchi C.205





        Ben
        Agreed.
        Or any of the Italian in-line fighters: Macchi MC.202, Fiat G.55, Caproni-Reggiane RE 2005.
        No contest really.
        The question was best looking. The Italian in-lines were gazelles, some posters nominations are heifers!

        Alas, some of you are making the common rookie mistake of confusing your 'favorite' aircraft with whatever question is asked about a certain aircraft characteristic (reference my thread on WWII's most versatile aircraft for examples galore).

        These choices are usually or at least often based on myopic nationalism or sometimes because of a childhood fixation (a model kit perhaps?).

        Here's a tip. Try thinking like art critics not sport team supporters.

        Best looking two engine type? A three-way tie between the Westland Whirlwind and Mitsubishi Ki 46 'Dinah' and Grumman FF Tigercat (didn't see combat but still a WWII plane I think).

        Best four engine? B29 natch.

        Interesting discussion.

        In Tasmania they have a saying:
        ‘The reason most people take an instant dislike to lodestar is that it saves time!’

        Regards
        lodestar


        Comment


        • #79
          Originally posted by lodestar View Post

          Agreed.
          Or any of the Italian in-line fighters: Macchi MC.202, Fiat G.55, Caproni-Reggiane RE 2005.
          No contest really.
          The question was best looking. The Italian in-lines were gazelles, some posters nominations are heifers!

          Alas, some of you are making the common rookie mistake of confusing your 'favorite' aircraft with whatever question is asked about a certain aircraft characteristic (reference my thread on WWII's most versatile aircraft for examples galore).

          These choices are usually or at least often based on myopic nationalism or sometimes because of a childhood fixation (a model kit perhaps?).

          Here's a tip. Try thinking like art critics not sport team supporters.

          Best looking two engine type? A three-way tie between the Westland Whirlwind and Mitsubishi Ki 46 'Dinah' and Grumman FF Tigercat (didn't see combat but still a WWII plane I think).

          Best four engine? B29 natch.

          Interesting discussion.

          In Tasmania they have a saying:
          ‘The reason most people take an instant dislike to lodestar is that it saves time!’

          Regards
          lodestar

          The Whirlwind was quite ugly looking - a bit insect like I always thought. The Westland Welkin was better looking - they built about 50 of them but as the high altitude bomber threat they were designed to counter never materialised they remained in reserve.
          When it comes to a good looking twin well there is the Mosquito
          Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
          Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

          Comment


          • #80
            Originally posted by MarkV View Post
            The Whirlwind was quite ugly looking...….
            When it comes to a good looking twin well there is the Mosquito
            I have on the afore mentioned 'most versatile aircraft' thread recorded my pathological loathing for the Mosquito.

            I summed up my feelings this way:
            "it’s just an unsettling discomfiture with the smug, smirking sense of superiority that surrounds the ‘Wooden Wonder’ or ‘Mozzy’ (I detest nicknames - when I take over I shall make their use a capital offense). Seriously I can’t stand the sight of them.
            If I ever cane across a surviving one the temptation on to find a box of matches or a lighter would probably be irresistible."

            Why do you continue to torment me??

            As for the Whirlwind ,well try looking at it like an art critic as I suggested:

            The Whirlwind realized the remarkable and paradoxical goal of combining squat, chunkiness with elegance of line and finely balanced proportions of powerplants and fuselage.

            It’s appearance had both robustness and sleek grace.


            Get the idea?

            When I was young and teachers or other adults asked about my hopes and dreams for the future I always replied:
            “When I grow up I want to be a compelling narrative.”


            Comment


            • #81
              Originally posted by lodestar View Post

              I have on the afore mentioned 'most versatile aircraft' thread recorded my pathological loathing for the Mosquito.

              I summed up my feelings this way:
              "it’s just an unsettling discomfiture with the smug, smirking sense of superiority that surrounds the ‘Wooden Wonder’ or ‘Mozzy’ (I detest nicknames - when I take over I shall make their use a capital offense). Seriously I can’t stand the sight of them.
              If I ever cane across a surviving one the temptation on to find a box of matches or a lighter would probably be irresistible."

              Why do you continue to torment me??

              As for the Whirlwind ,well try looking at it like an art critic as I suggested:

              The Whirlwind realized the remarkable and paradoxical goal of combining squat, chunkiness with elegance of line and finely balanced proportions of powerplants and fuselage.

              It’s appearance had both robustness and sleek grace.


              Get the idea?

              When I was young and teachers or other adults asked about my hopes and dreams for the future I always replied:
              “When I grow up I want to be a compelling narrative.”

              You have to get rid of your Picasso painting of the DH Mosquito, Lodestar...

              'Ere's you 'plane...
              The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

              Comment


              • #82
                Originally posted by lodestar View Post

                I have on the afore mentioned 'most versatile aircraft' thread recorded my pathological loathing for the Mosquito.

                I summed up my feelings this way:
                "it’s just an unsettling discomfiture with the smug, smirking sense of superiority that surrounds the ‘Wooden Wonder’ or ‘Mozzy’ (I detest nicknames - when I take over I shall make their use a capital offense). Seriously I can’t stand the sight of them.
                If I ever cane across a surviving one the temptation on to find a box of matches or a lighter would probably be irresistible."

                Why do you continue to torment me??

                As for the Whirlwind ,well try looking at it like an art critic as I suggested:

                The Whirlwind realized the remarkable and paradoxical goal of combining squat, chunkiness with elegance of line and finely balanced proportions of powerplants and fuselage.

                It’s appearance had both robustness and sleek grace.


                Get the idea?

                When I was young and teachers or other adults asked about my hopes and dreams for the future I always replied:
                “When I grow up I want to be a compelling narrative.”

                Seen an optician recently?
                Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

                Comment


                • #83
                  Originally posted by MarkV View Post

                  Seen an optician recently?
                  the optician says he can pilot the Dutch lodestar in its present condition, provided he has a qualified co-pilot....
                  The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

                  Comment


                  • #84
                    Originally posted by MarkV View Post

                    Which version of the P-40? the crappy early ones or the just about mediocre later ones?. The look changed quite a lot.
                    Well,.... I have a soft spot for the early models B and C (Tomahawks) but the later Kittyhawks from 42 onwards warm the heart and soul and win one air superiority. As the fighting Africa seldom exceeded the middle altitudes (above 18,000 feet) the issues with engaging the Me-109F and Macchi 202 were largely negated. Plenty of DAF aces (and double aces) were crowned flying P-40s (to say nothing of its performance in the south-west Pacific and Burma) and had a very good kill/loss ratio wherever she flew. Good visibility and 6 x .50 cals gave her the ability to see the enemy and a definitive punch that made the dame more than just a pretty face. Good gams (legs) when compared against all but the Japanese A6Ms and similar fighters.

                    Not quite the beauty queen like the Spitfire or P-51 but she delivered.

                    Sort of a Rita Hayworth (P-40) vs Maureen O'Hara (Spitfire) or Katherine Hepburn (P-51).
                    The Purist

                    Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

                    Comment


                    • #85
                      Originally posted by The Purist View Post

                      Well,.... I have a soft spot for the early models B and C (Tomahawks) but the later Kittyhawks from 42 onwards warm the heart and soul and win one air superiority. As the fighting Africa seldom exceeded the middle altitudes (above 18,000 feet) the issues with engaging the Me-109F and Macchi 202 were largely negated. Plenty of DAF aces (and double aces) were crowned flying P-40s (to say nothing of its performance in the south-west Pacific and Burma) and had a very good kill/loss ratio wherever she flew. Good visibility and 6 x .50 cals gave her the ability to see the enemy and a definitive punch that made the dame more than just a pretty face. Good gams (legs) when compared against all but the Japanese A6Ms and similar fighters.

                      Not quite the beauty queen like the Spitfire or P-51 but she delivered.

                      Sort of a Rita Hayworth (P-40) vs Maureen O'Hara (Spitfire) or Katherine Hepburn (P-51).
                      Was the P47 the Shelley Winters?
                      Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                      Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

                      Comment


                      • #86
                        Originally posted by MarkV View Post

                        Was the P47 the Shelley Winters?
                        The Mae west, actually.....
                        The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

                        Comment


                        • #87
                          There can be only one -


                          Attached Files

                          Comment


                          • #88
                            images.jpg

                            “Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.” -- Albert Einstein

                            The US Constitution doesn't need to be rewritten it needs to be reread

                            Comment

                            Latest Topics

                            Collapse

                            Working...
                            X