K.I.S.S. or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K.I.S.S. or not?

One of my favorite acronyms is K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Stupid). Might it not apply to major operations conducted by the Imperial Japanese Navy during the war? From the beginning of the conflict in 1941 until the end of 1944, by which time the Japanese Navy had basically ceased to exist as an offensive weapon, the Americans could almost always count on the Japanese to disperse their forces in decoy or secondary operations. The Coral Sea, Midway, Leyte Gulf and many others involved moves by the Japanese that diluted the power of their main attack. Although in the case of Leyte they did manage to bait Halsey out of position, most of time if they had concentrated their forces it might have changed the outcome of the battle. What about it, K.I.S.S. or not?
    Last edited by sherlock; 22 Jun 10, 18:49.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then I want to go where they went when they died-Will Rogers

I always thought Japanese plans were overly complex.
    "The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made."
    Groucho Marx

Comment

I risk making a generalisation, but almost all of the major Japanese operations required clockwork performance from the participants whether it was necessary or not, which is to agree with your premise.

The downside ranged from effectually negligible to strategically essential, but the requirement was there as part and parcel of the Japanese miiltary mindset of the time. The Japanese attacked Pearl from several directions, even though a firehose from one would have done the job. In that case it was tactical smarts, but given the intention of strategic surprise, maybe unnecessary.

The Japanese officer of the time was required to be where, doing what, and when, to a degree not comprehended by many western historians and history buffs.

You could argue this all the way from Yamamoto's overall war concept in 1940 through the end. He understod the strategic picture, but was still bound by the methods and culture of the '40's Japanese military.

Comment

To summarise K.I.S.S. was not a Japanese WW2 doctrine.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
        X