The Pacific

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Pacific

Has anyone seen 'The Pacific' on Home Box Office which finished last month after ten episodes?

It was produced by the same people that did 'Band of Brothers' and to my mind was much better.

That comment isn't meant to denigrate 'Band of Brothers' which is excellent, but the fighting in the Pacific was more brutal and the casualtiels in the Marine rifle companies were horrendous. Fighting an enemy that won't surrender definitely has its down side.

The teleplay was brutal, heartbreaking, and thought-provoking. I would highly recommend it and if you haven't seen it, you've really missed something spectacular.

I am prejudiced, being a retired Marine, but it is still an excellent piece of work.

Sincerely,
    M
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
    Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
    To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Originally posted by Massena View Post
    Has anyone seen 'The Pacific' on Home Box Office which finished last month after ten episodes?

It was produced by the same people that did 'Band of Brothers' and to my mind was much better.

That comment isn't meant to denigrate 'Band of Brothers' which is excellent, but the fighting in the Pacific was more brutal and the casualtiels in the Marine rifle companies were horrendous. Fighting an enemy that won't surrender definitely has its down side.

The teleplay was brutal, heartbreaking, and thought-provoking. I would highly recommend it and if you haven't seen it, you've really missed something spectacular.

I am prejudiced, being a retired Marine, but it is still an excellent piece of work.

Sincerely,
    M
    Massena- Tom Hanks did do a good job on Pacific and much of the work was done by Hugh Ambrose, the son of Stephen (Band of Bros).

In regards to heavy fighting and brutal combat, keep in mind that over 80% of the German Armed Forces killed and wounded in WW 2 came fighting against Russia. The Russian military casualties in WW 2 were half again as big as the total combined military forces of the United States in WW 2 as well.

Another way to look at it, from 22 June 1941 to 31 Jan 1942, Hitler lost more men in Russia as the United States would in the entire Second World War.
    Last edited by Bladerunnernyc; 11 Jun 10, 09:21. Reason: added 'Hugh'

Comment

Guess he missed us in the TV section

I just watched some docu stuff yesterday. It was interesting seeing the stuff from the Pacific was watching, and the stuff from North Africa I was watching.

The green Marines on Guadalcanal, seemed to have gotten a rougher start, and seemed to have gone through more hell, and did more spectacularly, than did the US army forces, that had their green moment against skilled foes during Torch.

As a whole, I think it can be said that it was a special kind of hell in the Pacific. I think the show did a fine job of illustrating that too.

Band of Brothers was a different setting, different type of troops, different type of terrain, different enemy. I think both shows did their respect task well beyond the norm for modern documentary grade dramas.

Comparing them directly against each other though is a fools errand. One I wouldn't care to try.
      Life is change. Built models for decades.
      Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
      I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Originally posted by les Brains View Post

The green Marines on Guadalcanal, seemed to have gotten a rougher start, and seemed to have gone through more hell, and did more spectacularly, than did the US army forces, that had their green moment against skilled foes during Torch.
        I think every campaign of WWII had it's own brand of hell involved. In terms of sheer hardship, deprivation and starvation, while continuing to fight on against all odds when no victory was possible, I would suggest reading about the unmatched struggle of the US Army, Navy, Marines and Filippino forces against the Japanese in the Philippine Islands at the start of the war. "We're the battling bastards of Bataan. No Mama, no Papa, no Uncle Sam. No Brothers, no Sisters, no aunts or nieces, no pills, no planes, no artillery pieces and nobody gives a gawdamn"
        "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

Comment

Watched a lot of content about that actually.

Not much can easily compare to it. Although the fighting on the Kakoda trail is another example of 'sure wouldn't want to have participated' events.
          Life is change. Built models for decades.
          Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
          I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Movies...

Sorry, I didn't see that section on the forum-my error.

Regarding the Russians, one factor that is generally overlooked, and one that isn't too popular by the way, is that the Russians, especially Stalin, didn't care how many people they lost. Stalin murdered over 20 million of his own people without War II as an excuse.

When talking about casualties, it should also be noted how the front line infantry units, both US Army and Marine Corps fared during the war. One source I read stated that of the infantry units that came ashore in Normandy in June 1944, all of them had an almost 100% turnover rate in the infantry battalions by Christmas and the Bulge. 'Casualty rates' really don't matter is a statistic for any nation when all or most of your front line infantry become casualties in six months.

Sincerely,
            M
            We are not now that strength which in old days
            Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
            Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
            To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

Regardless of how one wishes to measure WWII in terms of human, material or geographical numbers...

The geo-political stakes in the Pacific were NONE the less!

On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

ACG History Today

BoRG

Comment

It was excellent, and did a good job of showing that the war was not all non-stop shooting. Really very fine.

Of course, a miniseries has an inherent advantage over movies because time is not so compressed....
                "There are only two professions in the world in which the amateur excels the professional. One, military strategy, and, two, prostitution."
                -- Maj. Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower

(Avatar: Commodore Edwin Ward Moore, Republic of Texas Navy)

Comment

Originally posted by les Brains View Post
                  Guess he missed us in the TV section

I just watched some docu stuff yesterday. It was interesting seeing the stuff from the Pacific was watching, and the stuff from North Africa I was watching.

As a whole, I think it can be said that it was a special kind of hell in the Pacific. I think the show did a fine job of illustrating that too.

Band of Brothers was a different setting, different type of troops, different type of terrain, different enemy. I think both shows did their respect task well beyond the norm for modern documentary grade dramas.

Comparing them directly against each other though is a fools errand. One I wouldn't care to try.
                  Well said, both are outstanding in their own way. According to Amazon.com the DVD release of 'The Pacific' is Nov. 2, just in time for Xmas!!

Comment

The Marines on the 'Canal had excellent leadership - they lucked out by having Gen'l Vandergrift; he had experience with jungle warfare and understood what they were up against. He was handicapped by the fact that only about 1/2 of what equipment and supplies he left Fiji with actually got ashore.

The other story of that campaign, that does not get the attention it deserves (how often do we hear that?!) is the story of the heroic efforts of the Cactus Air Force.
                    "Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way." - Christopher Hitchens

Comment

Well done!

I told my dad about the up coming series and he called his sat. provider to get it. We don't get HBO so I kept asking him how it was and got some poor revues as a result. Then my brother inlaw recorded it for me and after watching it in full I was emotionally drained. Now you need to know that my dad was 10 years old when the war ended and his history of WW2 is what was on TV and the movies. You just shot japs and only a few GI's got hit while John Wayne only got hit in the arm. This series goes a long ways in describing what our guys went through. Twogun

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X