Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NEPTUNE/OVERLORD & MIDWAY... forgotten or ignored?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEPTUNE/OVERLORD & MIDWAY... forgotten or ignored?

Today, June 6th, is not just the 66th anniversary of D-Day, but also the 68th for the culmination of certain Victory at Midway - 2 of at least 3 major turning points during WWII!

As with many others here, I find it quite distressing & increasingly sad that this day seems to have become a point of historical 'no comment' by the global lamestream media...

Yes, recently having been 'taken to task' for a word I've used for at least the last 10 years to describe them - lamestream - I once again invoke it to describe the almost certain general propensity of the vast majority of global news media to render lame the historical recollection of world changing events...

IMO, as a matter of design, not of forgetfulness...

Any that insist there is no common thread running through the phenom is in certain denial...

And I don't mean the River!

On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

ACG History Today

BoRG

Lest they be forgotten by any here...
    Originally posted by ACG History Today - June 6
    • Planes from carriers USS Enterprise & Hornet attack retiring Japanese force. SBDs bomb & sink heavy cruiser IJN Mikuma (30°00'N, 173°00'E); near-misses damage destroyers IJN Asashio & IJN Arashio. At Admiral Spruance's expressed orders (because of the destruction of three torpedo squadrons on 4 June), TBDs (VT 6) that accompany the strike do not attack because of the antiaircraft fire from the Japanese ships. After recovering planes, TF 16 changes course to eastward to refuel & breaks contact with the enemy.
    • Meanwhile, Japanese submarine I-168 interrupts salvage operations on USS Yorktown, which is under tow of the tug (ex-minesweeper) USS Vireo & screened by destroyers, torpedoing USS Yorktown & torpedoing & sinking destroyer USS Hammann while she lies alongside the carrier (30°36'N, 176°34'W). Screening destroyers depth-charge I-168, but the Japanese boat, although damaged, escapes destruction.

The Battle of Midway, one of the most decisive battles in naval history, marks the turning point of the Pacific War. In the wake of the battle, efforts to locate downed aviators persist over the ensuing days.
    Originally posted by ACG History Today - June 6
    • Operation NEPTUNE: The landings are made on the beaches of Normandy, France, following pre-invasion minesweeping & bombardment by Allied warships, & under cover of Allied aircraft & naval gunfire. The invasion fleet of thousands of warships, merchantmen, and landing craft under the command of Admiral Sir Bertram H. Ramsay, RN, is divided into a Western (American) Task Force & an Eastern (British) Task Force. The Western Task Force, commanded by Rear Admiral Alan G. Kirk & composed of two assault forces, "O" under command of Rear Admiral John L. Hall & "U" under command of Rear Admiral Donald P. Moon, lands the First US Army commanded by Lieutenant General Omar N. Bradley, USA, on OMAHA & UTAH beaches, respectively. Naval gunfire support groups commanded by Rear Admiral Carlton F. Bryant prevent the Germans from moving up reinforcements & cover the Allied troops advancing inland. After the beachheads are established, the primary naval responsibility is the landing of men and supplies.
    • Off Normandy, mines sink destroyer USS Corry, 49°31'N, 01°11'W; submarine chaser PC-1261, 49°30'N, 01°10'W; tank landing craft LCT-25, LCT-197, LCT-294, LCT-305, LCT-332, LCT-364, LCT-555, LCT-593, LCT-597, LCT-703, & LCT-777; and infantry landing craft LCI-85, LCI-91, LCI-92, LCI-232, and LCI-497. LCT-27 & LCT-30 sink after running aground. LCT-362 founders & sinks. LCT-612 & LCI-93 & LCI-553 are sunk by shore batteries. Destroyer USS Harding sends armed whaleboat in to shore, landing small arms to help the 2d Ranger Battalion; the destroyermen relieve a number of soldiers as guards for German POWs, permitting the rangers to reinforce their comrades.
    • Operation OVERLORD: 400,000 Allied American, British, & Canadian troops are landed on the beaches of Normandy, France. In addition, US & British airborne forces land behind German lines & US Army Rangers scale the cliffs at Pointe de Hoc. Cherokee tribal members will communicate via radios in their native language on the Normandy beaches. A 'code' never broken by any Axis power throughout WW II. Danny Brotheridge, British lieutenant, becomes the 1st to die during D-Day. Brig. General Norman “Dutch” Cota is the first American General to step foot on Omaha Beach. Cota, assistant commander of the 29th Infantry Division, heroically spurred his men to cross the beach under withering German fire. (He will go on on to lead his infantrymen across France to the Siegfried Line & in the Battle of Hurtgen Forest & the Battle of the Bulge.)
    • By the end of the day, the Allies will have established a tenuous beachhead on the Norman coast.
    • 9,758 Allied soldiers die during the Normandy invasion.
    • Elsewhere in the theater, Nazi troops execute 96 POWs by firing squad.

Over the next 10 weeks of fighting 300,000 men, women & children will die in Normandy. The success of these landings virtually assure victory in the European theater. The Normandy invasion will lead to an offensive that pins Adolf Hitler's Third Reich between two pincers--the Western Allies & the already advancing Soviets - accelerating the end of World War II. More than 6,000 trucks of the Red Ball Express will keep gasoline & other vital supplies rolling in as Allied troops & tanks push the Germans back toward their homeland.

(Yes, the entries are by no means complete & any additional information from all perspectives is always desired)

On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

ACG History Today

BoRG

Comment

Ignored? No.

I think the truth is A. we are older than we wish to admit, and B, those events are rapidly becoming the same level of interest as the Napoleonic and Civil War years.

In others words, the time periods have not lost value, they have merely been left behind in the march of time.

The men and women of that time are all rapidly disappearing. They are not forgotten, but they are also not there on Remembrance day or Memorial day or whatever term is employed.

I don't myself have much capacity to remember key events that exceed the 20th century. But I saw almost half of the 20th so it means something to me.

Now when I am on game site A, or video site B all largely oriented around the young, they tend to be limited in their experiences. The average gamer is a teen or young adult. And even the 90s when most were born is 10 years ago now.

I recall trying to discuss the novelty of watching the Gulf War while eating dinner and the shock and horror or watching 9/11 reports with a buddy of mine. And when he said he couldn't relate, he realized I had not considered he was only 5 then too. But to me, it was something my wife and I witnessed as older persons.

History is not dead, but WW2 is more than a generation ago too.
      Life is change. Built models for decades.
      Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
      I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

I don't think ignored is the word.I think,when it comes to battles,we remember the beginning better than the end.
        ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

I refuse to forget!

Me ol man was an LST Sailor!

Last edited by Admiral; 06 Jun 10, 23:49.

ACG History Today

BoRG

Comment

You should disregard those pic's.

They were from the Lame Stream Media.
            "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

The Battle of Gettysburg is also forgotten even though it was fought during the 4th of July week and had a greater impact on US history than D-Day. Once our generation is gone D-Day well ended in the same fate for most Americans. Some date of some battle that they MAY have heard about in US History in school, if it is still being taught.

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral View Post

The LST,certainly one of the most important Allied vessels of the war.
                ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

Sorry, HP, but even if they were press photos - which I do not believe they are - there was nothing then even remotely resembling the current Global Lame-Stream Media we have today... not even the Beeb was so dogmatically attuned to its 'Global' 'competitors'...

But drive on as you will.

Last edited by Admiral; 07 Jun 10, 06:58.

ACG History Today

BoRG

Comment

To be fair I think the mainstream to remember on anniversaries. 1994 for example and 2004. The focus for many this week over here has been Dunkirk because its 70 years since that event. The bigger thing you want to woory about is the general populaces lack of knowledge of things. I had a girlfriend who didnt know Japan was involved in WW2 for Christ sake nor poignantly for this week what Dunkirk was about. And you can go on. Im not bothered if the mainstream media doesnt bother too mucvh on the 6th june a particular given year as they tend to do it on major anniversaries. I actually think if you go too far the other way, people get fatigued and give a toss less than many of them already do.
                    Last edited by copenhagen; 07 Jun 10, 07:46.

Comment

Originally posted by Gixxer86g View Post
                      I don't think ignored is the word.I think,when it comes to battles,we remember the beginning better than the end.
                      I think that the sad thing here (West Australia) is that apparently many schools are not teaching war History to the children or allowing service or ex service men and women into the schools to talk on the subject. The excuse (and I pointedly used the word excuse) being that it glorified war!! Thank goodness not all of them follow this opinion as on the eve of the Last ANZAC memorial day a group of Veterans were invited to one school in this area. However no wonder so many youngsters are so vague about their past more recent history, when they have an Educational system that tolerates such opinions!
                      'By Horse by Tram'.

I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
                      " Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral View Post
                        I refuse to forget!

May I point out that the LCMs shown are the American (mainly) Mark 111s, I was on the REAL ones, the mark 1s!! ( Don't you Yankies blow a gasket, I'm just giving you a nudge!!)
                        'By Horse by Tram'.

" Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

Little history, less geography, some math what is being taught in our schools now days? English as a second language?

We have many intelligent young members here at ACG, but I doubt they are the average of todays students. What is being taught?

Comment

Originally posted by copenhagen View Post
                            To be fair I think the mainstream to remember on anniversaries. 1994 for example and 2004. The focus for many this week over here has been Dunkirk because its 70 years since that event. The bigger thing you want to woory about is the general populaces lack of knowledge of things. I had a girlfriend who didnt know Japan was involved in WW2 for Christ sake nor poignantly for this week what Dunkirk was about. And you can go on. Im not bothered if the mainstream media doesnt bother too mucvh on the 6th june a particular given year as they tend to do it on major anniversaries. I actually think if you go too far the other way, people get fatigued and give a toss less than many of them already do.
                            Agree with some of your points CH, as I have just pointed out in another contribution to this subject the lack of knowledge on these things is in the first place a lack of education on the subjects in schools nowadays,that certainly applies in a large way in this country except for perhaps Gallipoli. lcm1.
                            'By Horse by Tram'.

" Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                              Little history, less geography, some math what is being taught in our schools now days? English as a second language?

We have many intelligent young members here at ACG, but I doubt they are the average of todays students. What is being taught?
                              By what I gather John, not much! Little or no History, pretty sketchy Geography, Maths? HaHa, they cannot do simple add or subtract without a calculator at hand!!
                              'By Horse by Tram'.

" Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X