Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best heavy machine gun in World War II

and why?
    My vote is the Ma Duece or Browning .50 cal HMG simply because it is still in use today and is so very versatile on apc, tank, planes, ships. And I really don't know what the other allies and axis used?

I also would like to know what you guys think was the best man portable weapon in WW II.
    IE
    Thompson sub/sturm Gewehr/sten?

I'm with you on Ma Duce.

If I have to pick the best hand held then it can not be other than the M1 second choice would be the 303 Lee-Enfield
    "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

M2 for sure on the HMG issue. I wouldn't thing there would be a ton of dissent about that weapon given it's efficiency and service life, but I could be wrong.

As far as man portable arms go, most of the rifles issued by the major combatants had fairly similar performance, the main issues being magazine capacity and operating system. For bolt guns the Lee Enfield would be my pick. For semi-auto's it would be the M1 Garand. I'd not select a submachine gun or pistol due to their lack of range and power.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
        I'm with you on Ma Duce.

If I have to pick the best hand held then it can not be other than the M1 second choice would be the 303 Lee-Enfield
        I'll go along with what HPJ said. He said it all, just like I would have.
        "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
          I'm with you on Ma Duce.

Thirded.
          If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

Originally posted by Brumbear View Post
            and why?
            My vote is the Ma Duece or Browning .50 cal HMG simply because it is still in use today and is so very versatile on apc, tank, planes, ships. And I really don't know what the other allies and axis used?

I also would like to know what you guys think was the best man portable weapon in WW II.
            IE
            Thompson sub/sturm Gewehr/sten?
            50 cal. for sure. It was just the right size and tore off limbs and shot through walls. It was also omnipresent.

The German 20mm Flak gun was also effective against ground targets. But it's size and limited numbers compared to the 50 made it a special weapon.

The MG42 mounted on a tripod was probably the best rifle-round firing MG of the war.

Pistol: 1911
            Rifle: M1 Garand
            Submachinegun: STG
            LMG: MG34
            MMG-MG42
            HMG-50 cal.
            Last edited by Cult Icon; 29 May 10, 23:23.

Comment

I concur on the M2. It still is the best HMG in the world IMO. The only close second is the Soviet 12.7mm, and it doesn't have the 'punch' the the Ma Deuce has.
              semi auto:M1
              bolt:K98 closely followed by the Enfield
              smg:Thompson closely followed by the MP40
              mg:MG42 by a mile for it's versatility
              pistol:1911 closely followed by the Walther
              "You listen to the ol' Pork Chop Express on a dark and stormy night......"

Comment

It seems the manportable is where the difference is I like the M-1 garand not the carbine as a semi i believe they are both designated m-1 I may be wrong though.
                The pistol 1911 you gotta be awe struck when you can see the round in the chamber.....Of an automatic
                Submachine gun thompson assualt rifle was SG 44
                machine gun well the MG 42 is simply as dangerous today as it was 68 years ago
                The soviets made a submachine gun I like as well but I don't know what it is it has a drum mag and is stamped metal but I don't know the name or specs or even if it was any good

Comment

Ma Deuce baby!!!!!
                  "At some point, we've all parked in the wrong garage."- Roger Sterling, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Brumbear View Post
                    It seems the manportable is where the difference is I like the M-1 garand not the carbine as a semi i believe they are both designated m-1 I may be wrong though.
                    The pistol 1911 you gotta be awe struck when you can see the round in the chamber.....Of an automatic
                    Submachine gun thompson assualt rifle was SG 44
                    machine gun well the MG 42 is simply as dangerous today as it was 68 years ago
                    The soviets made a submachine gun I like as well but I don't know what it is it has a drum mag and is stamped metal but I don't know the name or specs or even if it was any good
                    The Russian SMG that you are referring to is the PPSH series. Started out with the PPSH 41, then 42 and lastly 43. They were chambered in 7.62x25 and from what I understand is that they were a very effective weapon.
                    "You listen to the ol' Pork Chop Express on a dark and stormy night......"

Comment

Thanks I will look into them I always see them and forget to check em out

Comment

DShK 1938

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DShK
                        It is always more difficult to fight against faith than against knowledge.

Косово је Србија!
                        Never go to war with a country whose national holiday celebrates a defeat in 1389.

Armored Brigade

Armored Brigade Facebook page

Comment

My vote goes to the German MG42 and MG34 for their rate of fire and efficiency. I heard a statement of a US soldier who fought on Omaha beach, saying that the firing MG's made the sound of a breaking cloth because of their rate of fire.
                          Mortal danger is an effective antidote for fixed ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by Kolonelu View Post
                            My vote goes to the German MG42 and MG34 for their rate of fire and efficiency. I heard a statement of a US soldier who fought on Omaha beach, saying that the firing MG's made the sound of a breaking cloth because of their rate of fire.
                            Agree they seem a bit more portable than the M2 as well.

Comment

Hard to beat any of John Brownings designs.
                              My worst jump story:
                              My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
                              As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
                              No lie.

~
                              "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
                              -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X