Hitler's Judgement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hitler's Judgement

Now I have a question, one that only this forum can really answer correctly.

Now, we all know that Hitler (probably) committed suicide before the Russians captured him, then his body was burnt.
    But here's the issue, what if Hitler had been captured by the Allies, alive.
    Most of the senior Nazis captured were hanged, but don't you think they would have done something additional for Hitler?
    In my class (in Canada) this question has been repeated a number of times, and the answers are mostly all about him suffering extreme pain, one pupil, Tyler, commented, "They would have tortured him like so badly..." It is an interesting thought, and I for one think that it would depend on which allied country captured him, for instance, if it had been the Russians, they would have likely tortured him like no other man has been tortured in the history of the world.
    Anyway, I think I would like to hear your ideas on the matter, and if there's the chance you all say "They would hang him, just like everyone else," ah well, it was a good idea at the time!
    It ain't an adventure until it all goes horribly wrong.

When the British captured Heinrich Himmler, they strip searched him for poison. Then HH bit the suicide pill in his mouth..

Comment

I always think of the quote by some Lord somebody who said something like: "It is just as well we didn't capture Hitler. Whatever would we have done with him?"

Putting him in the dock would have an interesting exercise. The world might have seen a broken and sick man but the also might have seen a man who was away from the influence of Dr Morell and his drugs and that regained the old spark. Hitler explaining away the crimes of the Nazi's may well have bred a more numerous band of fanboys that we have today.

If the west captured him then hanging was really the only option as they needed to be seen as an alternative to the indiscriminate and non-judicial murder and torture of the Nazi years.

The Soviets? I did hear somewhere that the idea was floated to put him in some type of zoo for the people to come and gawk at but how true that is I really don't know.
      Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

Originally posted by Romani View Post
        Now I have a question, one that only this forum can really answer correctly.

Now, we all know that Hitler (probably) committed suicide before the Russians captured him, then his body was burnt.
        But here's the issue, what if Hitler had been captured by the Allies, alive.
        Most of the senior Nazis captured were hanged, but don't you think they would have done something additional for Hitler?
        In my class (in Canada) this question has been repeated a number of times, and the answers are mostly all about him suffering extreme pain, one pupil, Tyler, commented, "They would have tortured him like so badly..." It is an interesting thought, and I for one think that it would depend on which allied country captured him, for instance, if it had been the Russians, they would have likely tortured him like no other man has been tortured in the history of the world.
        Anyway, I think I would like to hear your ideas on the matter, and if there's the chance you all say "They would hang him, just like everyone else," ah well, it was a good idea at the time!
        Leaving the Russians out of the equation as they were the most likely ones to have captured him and you are probably right about their treatment of him.The British or American treatment of him in the early stages of his capture would not I imagine have been too gentle but once he was in official hands he would more than likely have gone through the same processes as all the others and eventually been hung!
        'By Horse by Tram'.

I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
        " Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

Theres no way the Allies (excluding Russia) would have Not killed him straight away,he is too interesting (not in that way!).
          My guess would be loads of interritations and what ever country had caught him, will be very happy too show him too the world, alive and kicking!

Comment

He definitely gets hung, if he lives that long. I don't see what we would have gained from interrogating one-nut ad nauseum. Other than his political gift as an orator, he really didn't have a great understanding of very much else.

Economic (financial/industrial) wizard: Nope!

Military (tactical/strategic/logistic) genius: Nope!

Foreign policy: Nope!

And those three basically sum up the talents he had to have to succeed in war!
            Last edited by D1J1; 17 May 10, 04:17.
            If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Comment

He was a compulsive gambler though. But you don't talk to mad dogs; you just shoot them.
              Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

Suppose the Allies did capture him (and bear with me here) - given the nature of the feelings between the Allies and the Soviet Union don't you think the Allies would have at least tried to get some/any useful information out of Hitler about his dealings with (politically/militarily/socially) the Russians? Anything they could get to help them out in the future (cold war which some of them probably saw coming). Of course whether Hitler talked or didn't it is without doubt that he would have been hung shortly thereafter.
                "War is sorrowful, but there is one thing infinitely more horrible than the worst horrors of war, and that is the feeling that nothing is worth fighting for..."
                -- Harper's Weekly, December 31, 1864

Comment

Originally posted by Twitter3 View Post
                  Suppose the Allies did capture him (and bear with me here) - given the nature of the feelings between the Allies and the Soviet Union don't you think the Allies would have at least tried to get some/any useful information out of Hitler about his dealings with (politically/militarily/socially) the Russians? Anything they could get to help them out in the future (cold war which some of them probably saw coming). Of course whether Hitler talked or didn't it is without doubt that he would have been hung shortly thereafter.
                  I don't see it. Without a doubt the western Allies would have learned all they needed to about Soviet capabilities while watching their progress toward Berlin.

As to the diplomatic end, they learned very quickly how difficult it was to deal with Stalin during and immediately after the war.

In sum, except as an object of public scorn and ridicule, aka entertainment, 'dolphie has no value.

Regards,
                  Dennis

Comment

Originally posted by D1J1 View Post
                    I don't see it. Without a doubt the western Allies would have learned all they needed to about Soviet capabilities while watching their progress toward Berlin.

As to the diplomatic end, they learned very quickly how difficult it was to deal with Stalin during and immediately after the war.

In sum, except as an object of public scorn and ridicule, aka entertainment, 'dolphie has no value.

Regards,
                    Dennis
                    Yep. They would have got far more useful information out of the myriad of generals, technicians and bureaucrats they captured than a deluded megalomaniac with his own strange take on the world.
                    Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

Fair enough.
                      "War is sorrowful, but there is one thing infinitely more horrible than the worst horrors of war, and that is the feeling that nothing is worth fighting for..."
                      -- Harper's Weekly, December 31, 1864

Comment

I'm thinking an Oubliette would have been a fitting end to him.
                        BoRG
                        "... and that was the last time they called me Freakboy Moses"

Comment

He definitely gets hung, if he lives that long.
                          Are you sure?
                          Other top nazi generals were never hang straight away!
                          Take the Nazi that took a pill in his cell and died,he even did not die from the allies hands but his own.
                          This would have been Hitler, if caught in a cell printed all over the newspapers and radio.

Comment

Originally posted by Heidi View Post
                            Are you sure?
                            Other top nazi generals were never hang straight away!
                            Take the Nazi that took a pill in his cell and died,he even did not die from the allies hands but his own.
                            This would have been Hitler, if caught in a cell printed all over the newspapers and radio.
                            No one in the ratzi leadership was hanged "straight away." They were all given trials at which some were given the death penalty, some lesser penalties and some no penalty. That would pretty much qualify them as fair trials, especially considering the "trials" given to the folks entrusted to the ratzi system of justice.

Of course a few of the high-up root gobblers took the gutless way out.

Goebbels, Himmler and Goering to name 3, the latter with likely assistance from inside. Goebbels and his wife even had the termidity to murder their children in the bargain!

I'd agree that it would be incredibly unlikely that one-nut would be taken alive. But yes, if he was and was kept that way, he would hang. He has absolutely no usefulness to keep him alive for!
                            Last edited by D1J1; 18 May 10, 07:42.

Comment

'Hanged', people; a cadaver is 'hung'
                              History is not tragedy; to understand historical reality, it is sometimes better to not know the end of the story.

Pierre Vidal-Naquet

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X