Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

17 pdr. on landing craft.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 17 pdr. on landing craft.

    According to:British Anti-tank Artillery 1939-45 (New Vanguard; Osprey Publishing) by Chris Henry; the 17 pdr. was modified to be used on landing craft in the Mark III variant. This sounded interesting to me, but I do have a few questions.

    1) How many landing craft were armed with the 17 pdr. MK III?
    2) Were they used operationally? Where?
    3) How effective was this weapon in its designed role?
    4) Are there any photos of the landing craft with the Mk III 17 pdr. on board?

    Amazon com listing for the book in question: http://tinyurl.com/342vdrw
    Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

    "I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

    What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

  • #2
    Originally posted by RichardS View Post
    According to:British Anti-tank Artillery 1939-45 (New Vanguard; Osprey Publishing) by Chris Henry; the 17 pdr. was modified to be used on landing craft in the Mark III variant. This sounded interesting to me, but I do have a few questions.

    1) How many landing craft were armed with the 17 pdr. MK III?
    2) Were they used operationally? Where?
    3) How effective was this weapon in its designed role?
    4) Are there any photos of the landing craft with the Mk III 17 pdr. on board?

    Amazon com listing for the book in question: http://tinyurl.com/342vdrw
    In the Firefly Osprey, the first use of the Firefly was at D-Day and to fire direct from the landing craft decks against concrete emplacements. Considering the author is David Fletcher I'm more than inclined to believe 17pdr's were considered to be used this way .
    How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
    Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

    Comment


    • #3
      I knew that the Priests fired from landing craft at DDay, but the 17 pounder ordinance is unknown to me. Were they meant to be used as bunker busters, I cannot think of what else it would be used for. It would not be an accurate ATG aboard a landing craft and German armor was 200km away during the first day.
      The potentcy of the 88 was that it was present, in reasonable numbers, when it was needed, They had them. We did not.
      Ian Hogg

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Obermasterfuher View Post
        I knew that the Priests fired from landing craft at DDay, but the 17 pounder ordinance is unknown to me. Were they meant to be used as bunker busters, I cannot think of what else it would be used for. It would not be an accurate ATG aboard a landing craft and German armor was 200km away during the first day.
        It appears AP is better than HE for dealing with concrete. For example, Churchill units would use their 6pdr varients to destroy concrete anti-tank obstacles, rather than use the more numerous 75mm's. Certainly M36's were used as bunker busters against the Siegfried Line.
        How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
        Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

        Comment


        • #5
          Considering how unstable the platform would have been they had to have luck to even hit the beach let alone a smaller target such as a bunker.
          "Ask not what your country can do for you"

          Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

          you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

          Comment


          • #6
            I have read about them being used on the attack on the fortified island of Walcheren during the Scheldt campaign of Nov 1944
            Last edited by redcoat; 12 May 10, 18:22.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by RichardS View Post
              According to:British Anti-tank Artillery 1939-45 (New Vanguard; Osprey Publishing) by Chris Henry; the 17 pdr. was modified to be used on landing craft in the Mark III variant. This sounded interesting to me, but I do have a few questions.

              1) How many landing craft were armed with the 17 pdr. MK III?
              2) Were they used operationally? Where?
              3) How effective was this weapon in its designed role?
              4) Are there any photos of the landing craft with the Mk III 17 pdr. on board?

              Amazon com listing for the book in question: http://tinyurl.com/342vdrw
              In the Normandy landings certain landing craft were adapted to carry Guns, Mortars and rockets and were called L.C.Gs (guns) laid off of the beach to give supporting fire to the men landing but a 17 pounder was a differant matter, never saw one anyway at that time. I should think to get any accuracy the L/C would have to at least beach and if the German guns were only 200 mtrs: or so away,it would be very dicey, to say the least!!
              Last edited by lcm1; 12 May 10, 21:55.
              'By Horse by Tram'.


              I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
              " Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

              Comment


              • #8
                More info
                http://www.royalmarinesmuseum.co.uk/...ng%20Craft.pdf

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by redcoat View Post
                  Thank you Mike, now that is something I did not know probably because they were LCTs my main involvement was with smaller Landing craft than that. As the RM were involved I suppose I should have been aware but still learn something new every day!
                  'By Horse by Tram'.


                  I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
                  " Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Russian forces could have fired on American troops (on purpose) if any West-East race for the Reichstag had developed. In fact, if you remember, two competing Soviet generals (Konev and Zhukov) had been ordered by Stalin to take the Reichstag and they allegedly fired on each other, including fratricidal strafing runs by aircraft. A sudden appearance of another party (American or British) in Berlin could have made things really nasty, with the Germans probably standing back and enjoying the spectacle.
                    Last edited by MonsterZero; 14 May 10, 04:01.

                    "Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
                    --Frederick II, King of Prussia

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by MonsterZero View Post
                      Russian forces could have fired on American troops (on purpose) if any West-East race for the Reichstag had developed. In fact, if you remember, two competing Soviet generals (Konev and Zhukov) had been ordered by Stalin to take the Reichstag and they allegedly fired on each other, including fratricidal strafing runs by aircraft. A sudden appearance of another party (American or British) in Berlin could have made things really nasty, with the Germans probably standing back and enjoying the spectacle.
                      How did this sneak in, when the topic was guns on landing craft??
                      'By Horse by Tram'.


                      I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
                      " Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Is this what we are talking about?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by lcm1 View Post
                          How did this sneak in, when the topic was guns on landing craft??
                          Sorry, right post, wrong thread.

                          "Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
                          --Frederick II, King of Prussia

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by MonsterZero View Post
                            Sorry, right post, wrong thread.
                            No Problems I sometimes get right through an answer then realise I've addressed it to the wrong person! My excuse is 'Getting old' Whats yours?
                            'By Horse by Tram'.


                            I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
                            " Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                              Is this what we are talking about?

                              I would guess with my Knowledge of LCTs, Yes!
                              'By Horse by Tram'.


                              I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
                              " Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X