Terrible accident...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terrible accident...

Just received this from a mate of mine, his main hobby is not aviation, so he thought I might know of the incident... I told him I didn't, but knew that if it was true, then one of you lot would certainly know!

"I recently read about a terrible accident, which occurred at one of the air bases , in about 1942 or so. Apparently about 75 officers and men were wounded and about 25 were killed when the guns of a fighter on display suddenly opened fire.

I know nothing about this incident and am curious about what happened. Have you ever heard of this?"
    The long toll of the brave
    Is not lost in darkness
    Over the fruitful earth
    And athwart the seas
    Hath passed the light of noble deeds
    Unquenchable forever.

What was it loaded with, a dozen rockets?!?

I don't see a fighter parked on display doing that much damage with a burst from it's MGs, not by half.

Comment

If it is a 'tail dragger'. it would not be a problem to anyone not directly in front of the aircraft.

John.
      The PLO claims ALL of Israel!!! There will and can NEVER be a "2 State solution".

Comment

I'm sorted, a mate of mine on another site has given me the details.
        Is not lost in darkness
        Over the fruitful earth
        And athwart the seas
        Unquenchable forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Von Richter View Post
          I'm sorted, a mate of mine on another site has given me the details.
          What then is the story? I can't come up with a way this could have happened as originally described, from a "fighter on display."
          If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Comment

Eh? Wot, you want my secret story? Could do a Corpulant Commander, and slither off into cyber space with mi' little secret, remember them smoke and mirror days, wiv our old pal?

TRAGEDY AT IMBER

The area around Imber on the Salisbury Plain in England, comprising of around 91,000 acres, is the traditional training ground for the British Army. On April 13, 1942, during a demonstration of fire-power from a squadron of Hurricanes, the pilot of the 6th plane to make the attack inadvertently fired into the crowd of invited military spectators. He had mistaken the spectators for the rows of dummy soldiers placed on the ground as if in marching order.
            The demonstration was immediately cancelled and all aircraft ordered to return to base. Fifteen minutes later some thirty military and civilian ambulances arrived to convey the dead and injured to hospitals. Twenty five officers and men were killed and seventy one injured. The Hurricane pilot, just approaching his 21st birthday, was found guilty of an error of judgement by the Court of Inquiry. (On June 28, 1942, seventy-six days after the tragic incident, he was shot down and reported missing in a sortie over Cherbourg).

Is not lost in darkness
            Over the fruitful earth
            And athwart the seas
            Unquenchable forever.

Comment

Ahhhhhhh, not display but demonstration. A world of difference with a single word! The use of display made me think the plane was on the ground and available for local folk to view!

Heh! Good line on the "secret story," but no comparison, as you happen to have a clue about what you're talking about!

Regards,
              Dennis
              If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Comment

Yep, 'display' that's what threw me in my mate's original question!
                I told of the one incident I could recall which was during the BofB. A mix up where armourers re-armed a Spit (it was a serious offence to leave one without loaded guns in the summer of 1940) while the Fitters were changing a gun camera. They replaced the camera, gun button to fire, and pressed the tit. All eight guns went off but luckily nobody was hurt.

Is not lost in darkness
                Over the fruitful earth
                And athwart the seas
                Unquenchable forever.

Comment

god, now that is my definition of a "accident" all right..!

Comment

They replaced the camera, gun button to fire, and pressed the tit. All eight guns went off but luckily nobody was hurt.
                    The area around Imber on the Salisbury Plain in England, comprising of around 91,000 acres, is the traditional training ground for the British Army. On April 13, 1942, during a demonstration of fire-power from a squadron of Hurricanes, the pilot of the 6th plane to make the attack inadvertently fired into the crowd of invited military spectators. He had mistaken the spectators for the rows of dummy soldiers placed on the ground as if in marching order.
                    gezz christ...
                    I thought it was whene the Americans fire every one duckes!
                    I started too thinke nowe ,whene the Britsch fire every one duckes,lol.

thats unbelivable,those bad mistakes that the britsch had made.

Comment

That is pretty awful. Although, he should have had his targets identified and I am sure they were briefed on where they were. I don't see a group of people that big standing perfectly still like silhouettes do. On the other hand though, it was a horrible mistake and the guilt from that probably consumed him knowing what he had done. Sometimes that's enough of a punishment.
                      "You listen to the ol' Pork Chop Express on a dark and stormy night......"

Comment

Just a thought: the spectators probably were supposed to watch the dummies being shot, ergo they were relatively close to one another, especially as seen from the air => tragedy ensures.
                        Reaction to the 2016 Munich shootings:
                        Europe: "We are shocked and support you in these harsh times, we stand by you."
                        USA: "We will check people from Germany extra-hard and it is your own damn fault for being so stupid."

Comment

In my 'umble experience the difference between Occifers and dummies is a tad hard to define.
                          Is not lost in darkness
                          Over the fruitful earth
                          And athwart the seas
                          Unquenchable forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Von Richter View Post
                            In my 'umble experience the difference between Occifers and dummies is a tad hard to define.
                            Hi Von, that reminds me of the old joke, 'If it moves salute it, if it don't move paint it!' (Or was it the other way around??)
                            'By Horse by Tram'.

I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
                            " Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

Originally posted by vonrichter View Post
                              Originally posted by lcm1 View Post
                              Hi Von, that reminds me of the old joke, 'If it moves salute it, if it don't move paint it!' (Or was it the other way around??)
                              Ere now! Button up or its off to the Sgt Maj for both of you.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X