The dreaded 'S' word

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The dreaded 'S' word

What is so bad about the deaded 'S' word? I can't quite figure it out. I know what the word is but what is so bad about it, I don't. Is it sort of a joke?
    In this world nothing is certain but death and taxes
    - Benjamin Franklin, U.S. statesman, author, and scientist

Originally posted by Johnny_Reb View Post
    What is so bad about the deaded 'S' word? I can't quite figure it out. I know what the word is but what is so bad about it, I don't. Is it sort of a joke?
    Yes, the topic dragged on for so long that 'Sealion' did become a joke. (S word!) Must admit, I suppose because my home town was on the channel coast I became a bit of an addict. (As now,when I saw your mail on the subject!)
    'By Horse by Tram'.

I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
    " Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

Have a look for yourself, its in this thread (Note the post count). Currently, I think its the second longest thread on the entire forum. Despite having been closed for a couple of years*. One of the word games/Post-count threads in the Barracks is longer.
      The main issue was one of the members wouldn't let it go, despite the facts being so heavily weighted against the operation.

*You'll note a slight discrepancy on the dates. That's because a smaller later thread was merged with the main one. However that wouldn't effect the outcome.
      Winnie says
      ---------------------------------
      "He fell out of a Gestapo car, over a bridge, and onto a railway line. Then was run over by the Berlin Express.

It was an Accident."
      Herr Flick.

Comment

It's also The Thread That Shall Not Be Named (or TTTSNBN) for short. Even allowing for the fact that there are two Sealion threads on the go in the Alternate Timelines section if anyone brings it up they are, or should be, directed to TTTSNBN. I may laugh about it now but the thread itself was rarely funny.

One of the major contributors has a book which he hopes to have published for Battle Of Britain day this year.
        Signing out.

Comment

Originally posted by Full Monty View Post
          It's also The Thread That Shall Not Be Named (or TTTSNBN) for short. Even allowing for the fact that there are two Sealion threads on the go in the Alternate Timelines section if anyone brings it up they are, or should be, directed to TTTSNBN. I may laugh about it now but the thread itself was rarely funny.

One of the major contributors has a book which he hopes to have published for Battle Of Britain day this year.
          Tell me its not DW...
          Winnie says
          "He fell out of a Gestapo car, over a bridge, and onto a railway line. Then was run over by the Berlin Express.

It was an Accident."
          Herr Flick.

Comment

Originally posted by Listy View Post
            Tell me its not DW...
            It's not DW. There, I've told you now.
            Signing out.

Comment

It's not DW. There, I've told you now.
              Thanks. So who is it? If its one of the more level headed types (AndyH for example) then I might get it.
              Winnie says

It was an Accident."
              Herr Flick.

Comment

Thanks. So who is it? If its one of the more level headed types (AndyH for example) then I might get it.
                It's Leandros. From what he's told me he believes he's uncovered some stuff, or at least some that have been under-played, that prove that Sealion was a serious option that the Germans failed to take.
                Signing out.

Comment

It's Leandros. From what he's told me he believes he's uncovered some stuff, or at least some that have been under-played, that prove that Sealion was a serious option that the Germans failed to take.
                  **thump**
                  That was the noise of my head hitting the desk. I don't suppose that information was another 90 Odd destroyers was it?

And you're not drawing me into another one of these threads!
                  Winnie says

It was an Accident."
                  Herr Flick.

Comment

**thump**
                    That was the noise of my head hitting the desk. I don't suppose that information was another 90 Odd destroyers was it?
                    He didn't say.
                    And you're not drawing me into another one of these threads!
                    Oh you'd love it really.
                    Signing out.

Comment

Oh you'd love it really.

To be fair I wasn't a mod at the time of the last bun fight. So back then it was amusing. Now I've become all grown up and have to look after you lot in your dotage
                      Winnie says

It was an Accident."
                      Herr Flick.

Comment

SEALION, SEALION, SEALION, THERE I SAID IT I SAID IT!!! HeHeHeHe, Cackle,Cackle!! (Disappearing into the distance, wrapped in a straight jacket!)
                        'By Horse by Tram'.

I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
                        " Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

Doh! I just had to see what the fuss was about. If I had any sense, I would walk away now and yet I won't!

Comment

you know , i read the whole thing a while back, forgot what ultimately i was reading by the end of it, then i was divorced i think.....dont know, those were funny old days those i spent reading through all that....

Comment

Wot was it Full of Himself used to sneer at me? Ah, yes...

'Gets his juvenile understanding of military history from war comics'!!!!

Leanducky's written a book, wot's it in, Commando or Victor... it'll be a bleedin' classic!!!

The long toll of the brave
                              Is not lost in darkness
                              Over the fruitful earth
                              And athwart the seas
                              Hath passed the light of noble deeds
                              Unquenchable forever.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X