Luftwaffe 'tip and run' raids.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Luftwaffe 'tip and run' raids.

This interesting and little mentioned subject is covered in great detail in this article from the RAF's "Centre for Airpower Studies" pp92 and following.
    PDF format unfortunately. Allow a few minutes for the document to download.
    http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafcms/mediafi...E0EB2FD704.pdf
    Last edited by At ease; 04 Apr 10, 22:49.
    "It's like shooting rats in a barrel."
    "You'll be in a barrel if you don't watch out for the fighters!"

"Talking about airplanes is a very pleasant mental disease."
    — Sergei(son of Igor) Sikorsky, 'AOPA Pilot' magazine February 2003.

Originally posted by At ease View Post
    This interesting and little mentioned subject is covered in great detail in this article from the RAF's "Centre for Airpower Studies" pp92 and following.
    PDF format unfortunately. Allow a few minutes for the document to download.
    http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafcms/mediafi...E0EB2FD704.pdf
    Ah, now your talking at my level A.e. Not 'Nit picking' mate but the term for them in those days was,HIT and run. Living in Brighton on the Channel coast we had regular visits from those lads! They would come in very low and do a sweeping U turn so that they were already half heading for home as they dropped their bombs this caused the bombs to spray out across the town. They very seldom fell in one area but they certainly seemed to have something against the local Pubs! Fighter bombers, usually FW190s so they were able to put their foot down whilst heading for base! The local Radar station was on top of the cliffs, very good for ordinary locating but I suspect at sea level they could slip in underneath.
    Last edited by lcm1; 05 Apr 10, 00:27.
    'By Horse by Tram'.

I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
    " Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

Hit and Run
      January 1941. Watton airfield, JU88s followed 21 squadrons flight of Blenheim home from a raid, and shot the whole lot up.

“Attack with aggression, but always have a plan of retreat”

Comment

Originally posted by lcm1 View Post
        Ah, now your talking at my level A.e. Not 'Nit picking' mate but the term for them in those days was,HIT and run. Living in Brighton on the Channel coast we had regular visits from those lads!
        It's along time since I played "backyard" cricket, and I can't honestly remember whether the term used was "tip" or "hit". I was just going by what title the author gave. Although I suppose HIT may more accurately describe the effects of the raids.

Comment

Originally posted by wellsfargo View Post
          Hit and Run
          January 1941. Watton airfield, JU88s followed 21 squadrons flight of Blenheim home from a raid, and shot the whole lot up.

Is that so, the JU 88 was a very capable and versatile plane and prooved itself in many roles as the war went on,but that incident is not quite what the topic of 'Hit and run' is (or was) about. It was almost totally conducted by low level flying, fighter bombers. Mainly against coastal resorts and anything else that made itself a target, the aim being to slip across the channel at wavetop height, in quickly and be gone before anything could be done about them. Hence the title they gained, 'Hit and run raiders'.
          'By Horse by Tram'.

" Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

Don't knock it. The Typhoon was on the verge of being rejected by the RAF, until some bright spark realised it was the only fighter available that could catch the 190s.

It was after that that they stuck bombs and rockets on it and the rest is history.
            Indyref2 - still, "Yes."

Comment

Yep, the Tiffy was excellent at sending the 'Butcher Birds', home with a parcel of twenty mil cannon shells up their jackseys!

The long toll of the brave
              Is not lost in darkness
              Over the fruitful earth
              And athwart the seas
              Hath passed the light of noble deeds
              Unquenchable forever.

Comment

Most of what I've read seems to call them, 'Tip and run,' as well.
                Indyref2 - still, "Yes."

Comment

Originally posted by the ace View Post
                  Most of what I've read seems to call them, 'Tip and run,' as well.
                  I've seen these raids by FW-190's and ME-109's described as 'Tip and Run' attacks as well (althought I dare say those caught on the recieving end may well have had their own names for them).

If you have never read Typhoon Pilot by Desmond Scott, RNZAF, (one of my all time favourite military books) then I strongly recommend you dig out a copy - he mentions combating these low level raiders and (I think, as I have misplaced my copy so cant say for 100% certain), he shot a couple of them down.

http://www.nzfpm.co.nz/article.asp?id=scott_dj

A brilliant pilot and a very good read.
                  HONNEUR ET FIDÉLITÉ

"Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won." - Duke of Wellington at Waterloo.

Comment

Yup, it's brilliant.
                    Indyref2 - still, "Yes."

Comment

Hit and Run

I was wondering about that, the very first post made me think of the Luftwaffe raids that chased Allied bombers back to base and killed them there. One of the most famous was Poltava, but there had to be others.

Comment

Hit and Run

Originally posted by Exorcist View Post
                        I was wondering about that, the very first post made me think of the Luftwaffe raids that chased Allied bombers back to base and killed them there. One of the most famous was Poltava, but there had to be others.
                        It's the result of missing punctuation. It should read "21 squadron's flight of Blenheims........"
                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No._21_Squadron_RAF
                        Last edited by At ease; 05 Apr 10, 21:26.

Comment

My father located at one of the airfields NE of London occasionally was 'hit' on by these. Usually individual aircraft coming in several minutes apart at night. He said the engines sounded terrible. This seems to have been confirmed as one of the raiders went down and the mechanics picked over the carcass & found it to be a elderly patched up crate. The piston rings, valves ect.. were found very worn & some of the cylinders may not have been firing properly.

Comment

Originally posted by Carl Schwamberg View Post
                            My father located at one of the airfields NE of London occasionally was 'hit' on by these. Usually individual aircraft coming in several minutes apart at night. He said the engines sounded terrible. This seems to have been confirmed as one of the raiders went down and the mechanics picked over the carcass & found it to be a elderly patched up crate. The piston rings, valves ect.. were found very worn & some of the cylinders may not have been firing properly.
                            Ah yes, being north east of London they would have to have made the raid over night, they would not have covered that much land in daylight and survived, whereas the coastal areas were comparatively safe in daylight for surprise attacks that were over in minutes.
                            'By Horse by Tram'.

" Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

Originally posted by Dogsbody67 View Post
                              I've seen these raids by FW-190's and ME-109's described as 'Tip and Run' attacks as well (althought I dare say those caught on the recieving end may well have had their own names for them).

If you have never read Typhoon Pilot by Desmond Scott, RNZAF, (one of my all time favourite military books) then I strongly recommend you dig out a copy - he mentions combating these low level raiders and (I think, as I have misplaced my copy so cant say for 100% certain), he shot a couple of them down.

http://www.nzfpm.co.nz/article.asp?id=scott_dj

A brilliant pilot and a very good read.
                              Sorry Andy, being cussed I know but the general description of them WAS 'Hit and run'.
                              'By Horse by Tram'.

" Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
                                Berlin.1945
                                by casanova
                                The Sowjet T-34 tank against a German Tiger tank in Berlin in the II World War in 1945. ...
                                Yesterday, 23:41
                              • casanova
                                AW 169M
                                by casanova
                                The Austrian minister of defence Klaudia Tanner declared the buy of 18 Italian military helicopters of the type AW 169M for the Austrian army, the Bundesheer....
                                Yesterday, 23:26
                              • JBark
                                What changed?
                                by JBark
                                There was a time not too long ago when this forum was full of discussion, multiple posts, votes and involved discussions on the best of the war, etc.,...
                                Yesterday, 18:54
                              Working...
                              X