Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British Arctic convoy veterans get Russian medals

British Arctic convoy veterans get Russian medals

Thirteen British sailors who participated in the Arctic convoys with shipments for the Soviet Union during the Second World War were awarded the Russian commemorative decoration “The 65th Anniversary of the Victory in the Great Patriotic War 1941-1945”.

The award-giving ceremony took place aboard the legendary H.M.S. Belfast, which is permanently anchored on the Thames near Tower Bridge in London. The British Arctic convoy veterans received the decorations from Chief of the President’s Directorate of State Decorations Vladimir Osipov, who had flown in from Moscow. H.M.S. Belfast was honored with a commemorative diploma signed by President Dmitry Medvedev. A number of Russian businesses are donating 500 thousand pounds to restore the historic H.M.S. Belfast, the only surviving vessel that sailed in the Arctic convoys.
    www.histours.ru

Siege of Leningrad battlefield tour

wow, great to see that the Russian have not forgotten a great group of heroes from that conflict. I wonder how many were alive to recieve their medals ? Alos great to hear that they are trying to restore HMS Belfast as well. All round a good story to read, especially considering what is currently going on in Russia at the moment...

Comment

Hello ShAA.
      Interesting article.
      Thank you.
      Arctic Convoy?
      God, it must have been cold.
      I put the heat on after reading the article.

"Advances in technology tend to overwhelm me."

Comment

Originally posted by Slug View Post
        Arctic Convoy?

I have same feelings when I`m reading about all this great struggle in arctic waters.... PQ17, Tirpitz, german submarine tactics etc.

Comment

Originally posted by galland View Post
          Alos great to hear that they are trying to restore HMS Belfast as well. ...
          Yeah well we need support ships for those new carriers we're probably never going to get.....

Comment

Originally posted by Slug View Post
            Hello ShAA.
            Interesting article.
            Thank you.
            Arctic Convoy?

My English friend's grandpa took part in Arctic convoys. She's still thinking of visiting Archangel some day, and I'll probably go with her when she comes to Russia for another few months again.
            www.histours.ru

Comment

A good video with interviews of British vets. Watch that vet in the end of the clip make a thoroughly British comment on the medal issue

And an American vet interview

www.histours.ru

Comment

Originally posted by ShAA View Post
                A good video with interviews of British vets. Watch that vet in the end of the clip make a thoroughly British comment on the medal issue

And an American vet interview

I know an 'Arctic Convoy' man who says it is not a medal but a medallion and that being so he is not going to apply.
                'By Horse by Tram'.

I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
                " Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

Originally posted by copenhagen View Post
                  Yeah well we need support ships for those new carriers we're probably never going to get.....
                  ...still burning up about the carrier issue eh, ...dont blame you one bit..!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X