Booby trap bombs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Booby trap bombs

My grandfather is German and he was a child during the second world war. He said that the Americans and British para dropped correct me if I'm wrong 'booby trapped bombs' like packages exploding when opened, can I assume it was propoganda or could it actually be true?

Where did these packages appear? Near the front it could be mines and the story be quite true.
    Also, could it have been simple bomblets from cluster bombs, or was the package designed to look innocent deliberately(!)? A bomb is after all primarily a canister filled with explosives and a trigger, design is about aerodynamics and usually not about making it look mean.
    Reaction to the 2016 Munich shootings:
    Europe: "We are shocked and support you in these harsh times, we stand by you."
    USA: "We will check people from Germany extra-hard and it is your own damn fault for being so stupid."

Comment

Delayed action bombs were dropped during air raids, these bombs were timed to go off and kill the firemen/rescue workers. Could it be this your Grandad remembers?
      The long toll of the brave
      Is not lost in darkness
      Over the fruitful earth
      And athwart the seas
      Hath passed the light of noble deeds
      Unquenchable forever.

Comment

The Germans were well known to drop delayed action bombs during the Battle of Britain.
        "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

Comment

Thanks for the replies, my grandfather doesn't talk too much about it, but he mentioned that the packages looked like something with toys or food in so the children suffered many casualties, the bombs took off a leg or a arm and in many cases he said people died. I know about the butterfly bombs of the Germans but i never heard of the Americans drop this kind of bombs.

Comment

Mines designed to look like toys

Originally posted by Wilpanzer View Post
            Thanks for the replies, my grandfather doesn't talk too much about it, but he mentioned that the packages looked like something with toys or food in so the children suffered many casualties, the bombs took off a leg or a arm and in many cases he said people died. I know about the butterfly bombs of the Germans but i never heard of the Americans drop this kind of bombs.
            This is a bit of an urban legend: the claim that one side (whoever the speaker thinks is the "bad guy" in the conflict) has dropped bombs deliberately designed to look like toys so children pick them up and are maimed. This story is highly reminiscent of the type of stories that flourished in WWI. This behaviour is most often ascribed to the Americans, but the same thing have been said about the Soviets in Afghanistan. According to New York Times Ronald Reagan accused the Soviets of this.

There are some facts in that seem to fit the legend. There are many types of mines and small bombs that are the right size and look a little bit like toys (for instance bombs that are meant to be dropped from the air are often similar to children's flying or throwing toys since they must obey the same laws of aerodynamics). Also many such things have plastic shells for practical and cost reasons, but makes them look like a child's plastic toy. Also children often collect shrapnel, debris, casings and such as "war souvenirs".

Here is a page on the subject. It is mostly in Swedish (with long quotes in English) but the pictures will help you understand why bomb can look like toys even if they are not explicitly designed to trick and maim children.

http://www.faktoider.nu/cgi-bin/visa...ker&markera=ja

Of course, it might very well be possible that someone, somewhere actually has designed bombs with the monstrous intent to to trick and maim children. Still, I will require strong evidence before I believe someone is willing to such inhuman cruelty.

Sensemaker
            Last edited by Sensemaker; 29 Mar 10, 07:15.
            It doesn't matter how much intelligence you have. What matters is how much intelligence you use.

If it is stupid, but works, it aint stupid.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, I have gained some knowledge

Comment

The first Christmas after the war, a number of US relief agencies boxed-up and sent large amounts of Christmas presents, candy and toys to Germany's children. In doing so, they caused quite a stir among the German people, because on the side of every packing crate filled with toys were the words, written in chalk. "Gifts for the children of Germany." The word "Gifts" means poison in German.
                "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

Comment

Yes, apperantly that did happen. Booby trapped toys and pens are mentioned by the war diary of the O.K.W..

Comment

I am completely against placing traps on boobies!
                    ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

Originally posted by Gixxer86g View Post
                      I am completely against placing traps on boobies!
                      Normally the traps are found at the back.
                      "It's like shooting rats in a barrel."
                      "You'll be in a barrel if you don't watch out for the fighters!"

"Talking about airplanes is a very pleasant mental disease."
                      Sergei(son of Igor) Sikorsky, 'AOPA Pilot' magazine February 2003.

Comment

Originally posted by At ease View Post
                        Normally the traps are found at the back.
                        Dead bobbies make good speed trap.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X