Found 2 Real Nice USN Color Photos from 1942

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found 2 Real Nice USN Color Photos from 1942

I think both show sailors posing next to a PBY Catalina.

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
    --Frederick II, King of Prussia

I see your Catalina and raise you a Kido Butai

source

Comment

Haha, look at those guys running around in tropical clothing, including short-sleeve shirts and shorts. Like golf players or dudes on a fishing trip.

IJN commander Genda mentions it in his book about the Japanese disaster at Midway. He blames Japanese arrogance and the myth of invincibility.

He says that when American dive bombers struck the 5 IJN carriers at Midway, one of the reasons the Japanese carrier crews suffered so many casualties was the clothing. Proper clothing as worn by American deck crews protects from flash burns and fires aboard. But the Japanese had exposed legs, arms, etc. and experienced a very large number of fatal 3rd degree burns that were preventable.
      Last edited by MonsterZero; 24 Mar 10, 14:24.

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
      --Frederick II, King of Prussia

Comment

Originally posted by MonsterZero View Post
        He says that when American dive bombers struck the 5 IJN carriers at Midway.
        There was only 4 carriers sunk at Midway: Akagi, Hiryu, Kaga and Soryu. The light fleet carrier Hosho was with the main body and not attacked. But I am sure the 5 was a typo.

http://www.navweaps.com/index_oob/OO...WII_Midway.htm

Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

String,

Please excuse my ignorance, but looking at that pic of the carrier and the other ships in the line, I notice that it has its 'island' at the rear port side.

Also, the carrier 2 back from it seems to have its island on the port side also.

I do not think I have seen this before. Was it common, and why?

John.
          The PLO claims ALL of Israel!!! There will and can NEVER be a "2 State solution".

Comment

Originally posted by ozjohn39 View Post
            String,

Please excuse my ignorance, but looking at that pic of the carrier and the other ships in the line, I notice that it has its 'island' at the rear port side.

Also, the carrier 2 back from it seems to have its island on the port side also.

I do not think I have seen this before. Was it common, and why?

John.
            John,

The Japanese were the only ones that I know of that put the islands on the port side. IIRC Akagi (the one in the picture) had an island on the port side.

Akagi as seen from a plane taking off.
            http://ww2db.com/images/ship_akagi4.jpg

Kaga was the other ship with the island to port.

Kaga as seen from Zuikaku (large image!!)

Hope this helps. Images added below.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by RichardS; 25 Mar 10, 14:51.

Comment

What are the 4 black circular devices on the Akagi/ one on top of the bridge, 1 off the flight deck to the right and the other 2 close by in front of the bridge?

Comment

Originally posted by Parasocko View Post
                What are the 4 black circular devices on the Akagi/ one on top of the bridge, 1 off the flight deck to the right and the other 2 close by in front of the bridge?
                Radio aerials of some sort. I suspect they are used for they are used for signal triangulations, but that is strictly a GUESS.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardS View Post
                  Radio aerials of some sort. I suspect they are used for they are used for signal triangulations, but that is strictly a GUESS.
                  My guess is direction finders.
                  "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
                  Ernest Hemingway.

"The more I learn about people, The more I love my dog".
                  Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by Achtung Baby View Post
                    My guess is direction finders.
                    Which is basically what I said. I was just a little more specific.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardS View Post
                      John,

The Japanese were the only ones that I know of that put the islands on the port side. IIRC Akagi (the one in the picture) had an island on the port side.

Akagi as seen from a plane taking off.

Kaga was the other ship with the island to port.

Kaga as seen from Zuikaku (large image!!)

Hope this helps.
                      Just a wee 'update' on the port islands 9based on what I've discovered) - Hiryu and Akagi(as you pointed out)were the only two fitted that way.

This was an experiment by the IJN to imporve flight operations by twining the Port side islands with their Starboard side Island fitted 'sister ships' (the Kaga for the Akagi and the Soryu for the Hiryu).

Apprently it didn't work the way they wanted it and the idea was scrapped after these two were completed!

I have seen several reasons for the standard practise of fitting the island on starboard:-

1. Early aricraft used on the first carrier turned more readily to the left than the right (due to engine torque) ,so to enable pilots and escape route that was easier to take ,the Island was built to starboard 'out of the way'
                      2. On the first ship they were possibly situated there to accomodate intakes or exhausts from th eproulsion system
                      3. Once the protocol was established and pilots being trained were used to starboard side islands, the convention stuck to prevent confusion when transferring to different carriers.
                      4. As most pilots are right handed (most people are) in a panic situation, it has been found that pilots break left (not sure if this is a handedness thing or a legcay fo eraly aircraft used turning left quicker than right......ie insttinct or training).

I'm not sure which of the reasons above are actually the real reasons for it....just listing those that I've seen. Reason 1 is plausible I guess.....and that may have a bearing on reason 3 and 4.

Anyone seen any other reasons detailed on why islands are typically placed on the Starboard side???

Oh, as for the pics posted - fantastic!!!

Comment

Others have already answered the questions about islands, but I thought I'd share some information about the picture itself.

It is the Akagi soon after leaving Port Stirling, Celebes Island, for the raid on Ceylon. 26th March, 1942. According to the Kure Maritime Museum the warships in the background are – from left to right, Soryu, Hiryu, Hiei, Kirishima, Haruna, Kongô, Zuikaku and Shokaku.

Also note the Akagi's slightly bent flight deck, comes out nicely on this picture

Comment

Originally posted by MonsterZero View Post
                          I think both show sailors posing next to a PBY Catalina.

Are the large brown belts the crewmen are wearing a safety harness of some type?

Comment

Originally posted by llkinak View Post
                            Are the large brown belts the crewmen are wearing a safety harness of some type?
                            I suspect they are harnesses the gunners use to stay attached to the PBY while firing with the blisters open.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X